Motorcycle Rallys

Motorcycle Rallys

This is a discussion on Motorcycle Rallys within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was looking through a monthly publication, Biker Up magazine which lists motorcycle events and vendors and some editorials in the Kentucky, TN, IN area. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Rallys

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar

Motorcycle Rallys

I was looking through a monthly publication, Biker Up magazine which lists motorcycle events and vendors and some editorials in the Kentucky, TN, IN area. As avid motorcyclists, my wife and I like to attend events and enjoy the people we meet there. I also am aware that in many people's eyes motorcycles and their riders are often seen as less than desirable characters. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth but stereotypes are hard to erase. I have been all over the country on my bike and have never seen trouble, even at Sturgis. That being said, a small undesirable element does attend these events. Most "bikers" who have been around know who I am talking about and avoid them.

With that introduction, I was and very upset to see the ads for two of the four major Kentucky rallys in the issue have the notice "No Guns or Attitudes". Now most of you know that Kentucky is an open carry state and a "shall issue" concealed carry state. While I respect the right of anyone to make rules for their events, I find it hypocritical at the very least for motorcyclists to be banning people from exercisng their 2A and states rights. These are the same people who lobby extensively through groups like ABATE (in fact, several pages of the magazine are devoted to updates on their lobbying efforts) to resist state and federal laws mandating helmet use. While I personnally cannot understand not wearing a helmet (I am not trying to start a discussion on this subject), I also support and contribute to these organizations as I believe helemt use is a matter of person choice-you have a right to not wear one. That's what really set me off on this rant-a group that touts individuality and personnal freedom make a blanket decsion to curtail my rights.

As we all know, those with bad intent will not abide by such an admonition, leaving me and my wife to stay in an unlocked tent with an expensive motorcycle parked outside without a means of self defense. I could go and carry concealed, but that is not the answer. Not attending with my $$ is.

Am I pissed off? Somewhat, but I am really disapointed. Banning "guns and attitudes" (whatever "attitides" means...)only reinforces the stereotype that most motorcylist have had to overcome, that we are a buch of reckless dangerous drunken gang memebers.

Had to get this off my chest. Sorry for the rant.

VIP Member
    One of the many, many reasons that I ride alone and avoid 'events'.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Don't know "Kentuck" law, but is such an arbitrary notice even legal to ban CC? I wonder how much weight it actually carries.
    Sounds like wishful thinking for the promoter of the event.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Well unfortunately...you are learned in the ways of motorcycle lore, and know who these rules were made for. And those people probably arent going to follow them. Outlaw biker gangs are going to carry guns and attitudes, but unfortunately they make it hard for you law abiding riders.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

There are several solutions here:

1) Don't go.
    2) Disarm and go.
    3) Don't disarm and go.
    4) Gather like-minded riders and try to change the rally within.
    5) Gather like-minded riders and create your own CCW-friendly rally.

Personally, I would NOT patronize the two that don't allow CCW and I would politely tell them why. Then again, I like to ride by myself. :) Good luck in your quest.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

AzB
    I used to ride with a "club" many years ago, and yes, they carry all the time no matter what. Some were legal, many were not. But no sign or law was going to make much difference either way.

I think you're doing the right thing. Stay away. Give you money to someone who appreciates you and is not caught up in political posturing.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    There are several solutions here:

4) Gather like-minded riders and try to change the rally within.
    I like this one. Most likely the organizers have no legal standing to ban weapons, and likely can't even ask you to leave if you are found. My experience is alot of these rallys are held at public open areas and the organizers would have no legal standing to even ask you to leave here in Ky. So I say, get together 15-20 buddies, if possible, and go anyway.
    I would research the location first. I would also contact the organizers of these events and ask them why they are in favor of some freedoms but not others.

After decades of bike riding, I just sold my Harley...I avoided some large events and attended others. Here in FL, the perfect riding state, I did go to some events...but only armed. Down here, no one cares...signs mean nothing.

You have to decisions to make...enjoy the ride!

Only bikers know why dogs like to ride with their heads out of the window...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    You would think that the people organizing a biker event and are afraid of the gangs that cause trouble would realize that a few words on the announcements will do nothing except maybe make those guys laugh.

Maybe the organizers are not actually bikers, just people paid to put the event together and don't understand. You could try communicating with whoever is organizing the event and figure out if they really understand the culture and try to reason with them.

I would not want to be at an event where only the bad guys were armed. Let them know why if you choose not to go there.
    Walk softly ...

Eacy of those events has to get insurance. Talk to the insurance company and you'll learn what kind of restrictions they place on you if you want to get coverage. If you don't agree with their restrictions then you don't have coverage, and that can get to be extremely expensive if something goes wrong. Some towns require insurance so you aren't putting on an event without insurance.
    183 FBINA

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Yes, all events require insurance, but I know for a fact the insurers of such events do not automatically place restrictions on firearms as a requirement to obtain coverage. I have sent an email to the editors of the magazine as they are listed as event sponsors. I do not expect much in the way of response, probably pass the buck. I will avoid the events as there are always options of where to ride.

Look, what you need to realize is that these signs are posted for liability purposes. Eveyone knows you can't go go one of these and swing a dead cat without hitting someone packing iron/plastic. This is my state and I know the mentaity. Go and have a good time, I will be attending some too, and there will be plenty of good people there like us.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    Yes, all events require insurance, but I know for a fact the insurers of such events do not automatically place restrictions on firearms as a requirement to obtain coverage.
    It all depends on who they get for their coverage. Nothing is "automatic" with coverage. It all depends on what coverage the event wants/needs and then are the event promoters willing to pay the price for what they want. Some companies do have such restrictions or if you don't want to comply with their restrictions then be prepared to pay big bucks for the coverage. Most will cover you for whatever it is you want covered but are you prepared to pay their price and live within their guidelines? Other companies won't touch an event.
    Nothing is automatic in the insurance business.
    183 FBINA

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I only go to rallies that don't make such ridiculous rules legal or not.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Look, what you need to realize is that these signs are posted for liability purposes. Eveyone knows you can't go go one of these and swing a dead cat without hitting someone packing iron/plastic. This is my state and I know the mentaity. Go and have a good time, I will be attending some too, and there will be plenty of good people there like us.
    Glockman, you're the only one here that gets IT. It's all "Lawyer Talk". If something goes wrong and there is a shooting and the event organizer didn't have a no gun policy, some lawyer would turn it around in court and make a jury believe they wanted guns at the event. Same thing at a lot of businesses that have posted no gun signs, they don't really care if you carry or not, they just don't want it to look like they were welcoming guns to come in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links