Chicago Lawmakers - "Call in the National Guard" (Merged) - Page 3

Chicago Lawmakers - "Call in the National Guard" (Merged)

This is a discussion on Chicago Lawmakers - "Call in the National Guard" (Merged) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i have a solution to this problem allow citizens to carry a handgun in the city of chicago cc or open carry!...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chicago Lawmakers - "Call in the National Guard" (Merged)

i have a solution to this problem allow citizens to carry a handgun in the city of chicago cc or open carry!
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

I guess those gun laws are not working out like they expected?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    But this is Chicago, how many of those people voted from the grave? And the current Governor certainly wasn't elected.

I think this is a case of why you can't just ask for the national guard and get it, but there is a specific process that must be followed, and I highly doubt that the city will meet the criteria needed, or be willing to fund the expense of mobilizing the national guard, but hey it sure looked cool in the Blues Brothers.
    Understand that Mayor Richard Daley Jr. calls the shots, not the governor. The Chicago political machine was in place even before is powerful father ruled. The city is strapped for cash (like most large cities) and doesn't have or want to spend to put extra police on the streets. So one of Mayor Daley's clever bean counters figures hmmm, the National Guard gets paid from state coffers and won't cost the city anything. In fact, maybe the Federal government can pick up part of the tab.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    NG troops would have no arrest powers, no enforcement authority, and most likely a very convoluted ROE under which to operate. So...what happens when a member of the Gangster Disciples or Latin Kings isn't intimidated by the Guard presence (which is the real goal) and kills a Guardsman? What then? Who is going to pay for the mobilization? Do they expect to man this with Guard volunteers? Without a mobilization, the Guard operates on a voluntary basis. Here's a good one: Everyone who wants to walk around the South Side without a gun and no ability to arrest gangbangers, raise your hand! <crickets>

This whole idea is stupid. Chicago has, oh, about a 1000 alternatives to try before it gets to this point. Unfortunately, all those alternatives require common sense and actual leadership, of which the city is entirely bereft.
    I'm not saying Chicago should do this, but Posse Comitatus doesn't apply to the National Guard unless they are under federal control. The Louisiana National Guard was kept under state control for this very reason during Katrina, and they were very much armed while they were in New Orleans.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

I listen to Chicago news radio daily from around central Indiana and lately I get the sense that Daley has no sense. Today they aired him saying that guns are the problem and it's like a interstate highway, all the guns coming in from other states (like gun friendly IN). He'll never understand that it's the gangs, thugs, and general criminal mentality that are killing people, the gun being the chosen tool. If not a gun, then baseball bats, tire irons, rocks, or fists.

I listen partly to stay abreast of general news, and for the reality check of why I try to stay armed and alert. I live not far off the interstate and regularly chat with LEO friends who describe what comes down from Chicago on a regular basis.

I know, beating the Daley issue to death, but the guy just doesn't seem to get it...

I'm not convinced the National Guard is the answer. I feel very badly for the existing LEO element in that area. From what I understand they are sorely undermanned and under funded. Perhaps if the nation considered gangs a terrorist threat... (opening another can of worms there, sorry)

Quote Originally Posted by metallic View Post
    I'm not saying Chicago should do this, but Posse Comitatus doesn't apply to the National Guard unless they are under federal control. The Louisiana National Guard was kept under state control for this very reason during Katrina, and they were very much armed while they were in New Orleans.
    You're correct in your statement. However, under what rationale would the NG be used in this case? Unless I'm mistaken (which is often), a state of emergency would have to be declared by the Governor. Are we really at that point?

SigP250, I'll give you Katrina. 1968? Let's try to keep this within the past two decades for relevancy. I never questioned federal call up, nor even national emergencies (like the 1992 LA riots or Katrina). However, just putting the NG on the streets because (shocka!) gangbangers are ignoring the Chicago gun ban? I'm skeptical on the legalities.

Quote Originally Posted by kdydak View Post
    They ran the place into the ground and now they call on military to bail them out. Military intervention failed in Mexico and it will fail in US too. For now (thankfully) the answer is a no, but for how long ?

FOXNews.com - Lawmakers: Military could quell Chicago violence

Two Illinois lawmakers say violence has become so rampant in Chicago that the National Guard must be called in to help.

Chicago Democratic Reps. John Fritchey and LaShawn Ford made a public plea to Gov. Pat Quinn on Sunday to deploy troops.

The request comes amid a recent surge in violent crime, including a night last week that saw seven people killed and 18 wounded, mostly by gunfire.

Fritchey says Chicago has had 113 homicide victims this year. He says the police department has done a commendable job, but its resources are stretched thin.

Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis says he appreciates the lawmakers' frustration and willingness to help, but doubts the National Guard is the best answer.
    That part about 113 homicide victims this year and 7 killed and 18 wounded last week by gunfire can't be true because it's not legal to carry firearms in Chicago...
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

Administrator
    I want to know just what the expect the NG to do... this isn't one event that crowd control or restricted access to certain areas are needed. It is widespread both in terms of time and geography. The NG can do little about this type of thing. They are not trained or equipped to prevent or solve crime.

What a bunch of morons.

On second thought, maybe the NG could seal off Chicago, let them all kill each other, and hopefully the entire region will be better off in the long run.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Let us all clean up Chicagos Gang problems with drive by shootings like this,About a 100 or so Abrams or Sherman tanks with .50 cal Browning Machineguns on top and see how fast it gets quiet on the problem areas. And with heat seeking ammo along with the tanks and .50 cals. richgp100z. We are having drive-by shootings in the town where I live at and a new state law wont be in effect until 7-14-2010 for ccw permit holders do not have to do the MANDATORY HANDGUN REGISTRATION ANYMOREand,will be able to use ccw permits to buy guns also.

Quote Originally Posted by Holger View Post
    You're correct in your statement. However, under what rationale would the NG be used in this case? Unless I'm mistaken (which is often), a state of emergency would have to be declared by the Governor. Are we really at that point?

SigP250, I'll give you Katrina. 1968? Let's try to keep this within the past two decades for relevancy. I never questioned federal call up, nor even national emergencies (like the 1992 LA riots or Katrina). However, just putting the NG on the streets because (shocka!) gangbangers are ignoring the Chicago gun ban? I'm skeptical on the legalities.
    Like I said, I wasn't saying they should do it About the only time I can ever stomach using the National Guard on our own citizens is when there is a complete breakdown in law and order. And this situation ain't it.
    Kimber Pro TLE II (EDC)
    Bersa Thunder .380 (EDC)
    Sig Sauer P226
    Bushmaster XM15-E2S
    Winchester Model 70 .270

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links