Help! Bullet stuck in the barrel.

This is a discussion on Help! Bullet stuck in the barrel. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure how it happened. But I was out firing my 1911. After maybe 10 rounds I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. I tried ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Bullet stuck in the barrel.

Help! Bullet stuck in the barrel.

Not sure how it happened. But I was out firing my 1911. After maybe 10 rounds I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. I tried to rack the slide, but it seemed jammed. I gave it a good pull and it ejected a spent casing. When I went to chamber another round, it would not go. Well I finally figured out there is a projectile still in the barrel.

Now what?
    SIG Sauer P229 .40 S&W

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    cleaning rod or a wooden dowel. Tap it out.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Really? That's all?

I'm on it! Thanks.
    SIG Sauer P229 .40 S&W

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Yep, wooden dowel. Don't risk buggering up your cleaning rod.
    Get a 3/8 or so dowel, cut it just slightly longer than the barrel, and drive it back out.

Lucky for you it didn't go far enough to let the next round chamber, huh?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Gander Mountain gunsmith did my Hi-Point for free, pounding out a 9mm reload for me. They were cheap, cheap, cheap!

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Yeah.....cleaning rod works best with 22lr. Since in my experiance that has been the most likely to squib on me.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Just used a wooden dowel rod on a .44 spl revolver, works.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Well, the dowl did the trick. Thanks folks!
    SIG Sauer P229 .40 S&W

Yep wooden dowel FTW.
    I keep one in my trunk along with a rubber mallet for just such emergency use.

BTW you are very fortunate that the projectile stopped short enough to disallow you being able to chamber another round.
    Even with commercial ammo undercharges (as well as overcharges!) do occur.
    If ever a firearm does not cycle fully/properly even if the brass ejects your very fist thought should be (should have been) to inspect the action and pinky test the chamber for an obstruction.
    In my range kit I keep a chamber flag, a pipe cleaner AND a generic plastic bodied pen.

The chamber flag does double duty as a chamber obstruction tester, so that I do not have to be looking down the muzzle like a big dummy!
    While the pipe cleaner and pen are fill bore length checkers for my .22 (pipe cleaner) and my 9mm and .45.
    If I drop either down the muzzle it should exit and appear at the chamber. If not well then there is an obstruction.

The pen does double duty for marking targets and making notations.
    Invest in these three items ASAP....And save your gun if not your hands.

- Janq

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

You did the right thing. True story, friend was at a notorious (stupid) gunshop where the owner had a Ruger 10/22 barreled action out of the stock, and hanging muzzle down on a coat hanger. Friend asked, what was he working on. The self proclaimed gunsmith said there was a bullet stuck in the barrel and a customer asked him to remove it. My friend left when Mr. Brilliant started heating the back of the barrel with a propane torch!!!!

You are LUCKY that it did not allow another one to load into the chamber.... nasty things could have happened after that if you would have pulled the trigger. Good idea, to 'listen' to your shots and if any of them don't sound just right, unload and check that the barrel is clear.

I carry different size (diameter) dowl rods in my range bag just for this reason. You can get them at just about any hardware or building supply stores.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jhh3rd View Post
    You did the right thing. True story, friend was at a notorious (stupid) gunshop where the owner had a Ruger 10/22 barreled action out of the stock, and hanging muzzle down on a coat hanger. Friend asked, what was he working on. The self proclaimed gunsmith said there was a bullet stuck in the barrel and a customer asked him to remove it. My friend left when Mr. Brilliant started heating the back of the barrel with a propane torch!!!!

What was he trying to do? Melt the lead out? What an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    BTW you are very fortunate that the projectile stopped short enough to disallow you being able to chamber another round.
    Even with commercial ammo undercharges (as well as overcharges!) do occur.
    If ever a firearm does not cycle fully/properly even if the brass ejects your very fist thought should be (should have been) to inspect the action and pinky test the chamber for an obstruction.
    In my range kit I keep a chamber flag, a pipe cleaner AND a generic plastic bodied pen.
    Tell me about it. I'm guessing it would have done some major damage. And it was not even my gun!

Looking back on it now, I think the round may have not even had powder in it, just a primer. (And it was comercial ammo) The bullet had just barely been forced into the barrel and I'm guessing it was just by the primer. I doubt it had even cleared the case all the way, which is why the slide would not rack. My forcing the slide back pulled the case the rest of the way off and left the bullet behind.

At first I tried driving it all the way through, but I was getting almost nowhere. So I gave it two fairly light taps from the muzzle end and it came right out.
    SIG Sauer P229 .40 S&W

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lands5 View Post
    Not sure how it happened. But I was out firing my 1911. After maybe 10 rounds I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. I tried to rack the slide, but it seemed jammed. I gave it a good pull and it ejected a spent casing. When I went to chamber another round, it would not go. Well I finally figured out there is a projectile still in the barrel.

Now what?
    I'm still curious aout this statement : "I pulled the trigger and nothing happened. I tried to rack the slide, but it seemed jammed"

Did the round actually discharge..... maybe primer only, which would result in a squib load. If so, I'm not understanding why this : "I gave it a good pull and it ejected a spent casing". Most undercharged loads I've had experience with would have taken more than just a "good pull"... generally, drop the magazine and manually clear the spent casing.

Now, just trying to reason this out for myself, if the bullet was stuck in the barrel throat in such a way that a subsequent round wouldn't chamber, could the following be possible?

1. The suspect cartridge had an improperly seated bullet making the oal of the round a problem.

2. The defective cartridge, being too long for the chamber would not go completely into battery as the bullet grabbed the lands in he barrel throat.

3. Unable to go completely to battery could explain "I pulled the trigger and nothing happened", and the possibility of the bullet grabbing the lands could explain "I tried to rack the slide, but it seemed jammed"

4. And for this part "I gave it a good pull and it ejected a spent casing", could it be possible that the good pull seperrated the casing from the stuck bullet and did in fact extract and eject the unfired casing

Just thinking about the possibilities

surv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links