Bought my first 1911!

Bought my first 1911!

This is a discussion on Bought my first 1911! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Being a Lefty I've never given much thought to owning a 1911. A few months ago I saw a Springfield Micro Compact (3 in barrel) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought my first 1911!

Bought my first 1911!

Being a Lefty I've never given much thought to owning a 1911. A few months ago I saw a Springfield Micro Compact (3 in barrel) 1911 and noticed it had a ambi. safety.

After much thought I decided to get one. Picked it up at noon today... can't wait to get to the range.

Any tips on carrying "cocked and locked" would be appreciated.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    well once you " safety on " and learn to shoot with a high thumb ( thumb ontop of the safety when safety is off ) there isnt anything real different to it , just drill on safety up to move and down to shoot. After a while it becomes so natural you dont even think about it . Nothing imho beats a well tuned 1911 trigger either. Congrats on the new pistol
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Congrats on the new pistol, be sure to tell us how she shoots?
    Curry

I second Ben - please let us know how your new one does. Thanks!

VIP Member

I'm a southpaw as well........

& I love my 1911s ( I have 5). I have ambi-safeties on all of them.

I have also found that in some respects the 1911 is very good for left-handers. I use my trigger finger to operate the mag release & slide release. Us lefties do NOT have to shift the gun in our hand when reaching for the mag release, like most righties do. (Try it for yourself.)

Also, when clearing a loaded 1911, lefties don't have to drop the round out of the barrel & onto the ground. Since the ejection port is on the right side, lefties can just grap the slide forward of the ejection port (forward slide serrations are a good option), rack the slide back & the bullet lands in your hand & not on the ground.

as a side note....Colt designed the Peacemaker for lefties. Why do you think the loading gate is on the right side of the gun? Sam Colt was a Southpaw. For those who handle a single-action revolver, if right handed, you switch the gun from you right to the left for reloading. Us lefties leave the gun in our left hand, operate the gate & ejection rod with our right hand. That way the gun never leaves our shooting hand.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    Now you got one - the rest will follow

Good job.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The 1911 was a good decision. The three inch barrel length, maybe.
    Many short barrel semi-autos have FTF & FTE problems that are usually spring related and an easy fix if required. I finally decided on the 3-1/2" barrel, all stainless steel, Detonics USA CombatMaster and haven't had any problems. Good luck with yours. Give us a range report when you begin shooting the SA.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Distinguished Member
    I have been wanting to get one too, but have no idea which to get, there are so many. I was thinking the SA milspec for a starter. Let us know how it shoots and how you like it!
    RKBA

John

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Good luck with your purchase, and congrats on coming over to the 1911 side ;)

I carry a 3" Kimber and I've had zero problems with it after 700 plus rounds shot through.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

Congrats on the new pistol! Just be warned........1911s are very habit forming. But of all my bad habits I think this one's the best. Even my wife likes it, welllllll, tell she hears about plans for the next one.....and the next one.

My son is a leftie and has a Colt Defender, absolutely loves it. Never had any function problems yet. I think he has a few hundred rounds through so far.

Eric

good gun. lets us know how she shoots. the only tip i can give you is to shoot it, shoot it alots, get a good holster, not a two dollar holster. then carry it "cocked and locked".

Thanks all for the support and the tips.... especially the lefty info!! I hope to get to the range one day this week, if not then for sure this weekend.

I post a full report ASAP!

Stay Safe

Rallyman

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    congrats love it rub it hug it shoot thee heck outa it and smile big
    ooops did i type that

Everyone has pretty well covered it high thumbs on the safety easy to eject the mag with middle finger I'm a lefty to.

I have about 5 1911's i like a slightly extended mag release for m some do some don't.

Change grips on it till ya find ones ya like real easy to resale 1911 grips

I prefer wilson mags for carry.

Also make sure your holster had a back flap to keep the ambi safety from being flipped off when you carry ..

Also practice some times sweeping off the safety with trigger finger in case ambi safety breaks .. hey its a slim chance but it does happen .

Any other questions just ask

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White
    .....Also practice some times sweeping off the safety with trigger finger in case ambi safety breaks .. hey its a slim chance but it does happen .......

Good advice, I had a Ed Brown ambi-safety on my Kimber Pro Carry than broke. I flipped the right side safety down to do a press check (no loaded chamber indicator) & the slide wouldn't rack back.... I turned the gun an saw on the left side, the safety was still up???? The little tab that connects the left side to the right side broke.

So it can happen.

"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith
    Last edited by goawayfarm; June 6th, 2006 at 02:34 PM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links