Range time- XD 9mm sc break in

This is a discussion on Range time- XD 9mm sc break in within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Finally got the new XD 9mm sc to the range for a test drive. I have to say it is one sweet shooter! We had ...

Thread: Range time- XD 9mm sc break in

Range time- XD 9mm sc break in

Finally got the new XD 9mm sc to the range for a test drive. I have to say it is one sweet shooter! We had let our range membership lapse, but when she got a new gun we suddenly needed to renew our membership. Who am I to complain. lol

We put 250 rds through it today. Karen shot 100 rds, the most 9mm she has shot at one time. I put the other 150 rds through it. The only minor hiccup we had was the slide did not lock out on an empty mag one time. Odd, but I probably hit the slide release with my thumb. Took some pics and shot some vids if you are bored.

As always, any input is good and appreciated. I pointed out a few things for her to work on but overall she did great. Now that she has her own pistol we can get to tweaking her grip and shooting style. Until now she has just shot my pistol.

Karen shooting her new baby.

Karens' first 50 rds at 5 yrds.

Karen's second 50 rds from 5 yrds.

My first 50 rds at 7 yrds.

My second 50 rds at 7 yrds. My first 3 rds had 2 cutting a hole.

After the thread about range time I ran it out to 15 yrds and 20 yrds to play around. 45 rds here, I tried the last 5 at head shots lol.

Fruits of the range time, one dirty pistol and a pile of spent brass.

If you want to kill some more time I took some video too. The longest might be 2 min or so.

Karen shoot XD 9mm sc 1 on Vimeo

Karen shooting XD 9mm sc 2 on Vimeo

Karen shooting XD 9mm sc 3 on Vimeo

Karen shooting XD 9mm sc 4 on Vimeo

Short vid of Karen using the Maglula Uplula.

Maglula 9mm Uplula in action on Vimeo

What can I say, I'm bored. Thought I would share in case anyone is as bored as I am. :)
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Looks like the wife was aiming a bit low there. Going for the "vitals"?
    I'll take the brass, by the way!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

ntg
    I love taking mine out for a drive!
    M&P Shield9; RIA 1911 Tactical 9mm;...many long guns

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    My girlfriend and I love my XD9sc. It'll treat you well!

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I bought my wife an XD9sc and she loves it. I kinda like it too.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Looks like she's leaning back instead of leaning forward.

The other day at the range someone let me shoot their XDM and I thought the trigger pull was heavy (maybe I'm just used to lighter triggers).

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    Looks like she's leaning back instead of leaning forward.

The other day at the range someone let me shoot their XDM and I thought the trigger pull was heavy (maybe I'm just used to lighter triggers).
    She was. We talked about it and she commented that she did not feel like she was leaning as far back as the picture looks. I've got her broken from leaning back with the shotgun, now to work on the handgun. The trigger on ours does not feel bad. The one that we rented had a lighter trigger than my G19.

Oldvet, the brass is mine! hehe. I'm looking into getting some reloading equipment soon. I have been saving brass for about 8 months. Just need to research what I need. And figure out how to set it up without a dedicated bench. I just don't have room.

Thanks for the comments.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post

Oldvet, the brass is mine! hehe. I'm looking into getting some reloading equipment soon. I have been saving brass for about 8 months. Just need to research what I need. And figure out how to set it up without a dedicated bench. I just don't have room.

Thanks for the comments.
    Rats!

When people lean back, they're usually trying to put distance between their face and the gun, not realizing the arms move back too!

I no longer have a reloading bench, and the wife complains when I clamp the press onto her new dining table.
    I attached my press to a piece of 5/8" plywood about 1'x2'. Now I can set it on the counter and slap a couple of spreadable clamps on it. Not the best setup, but it works--until I can get some space and a better bench. Easy to store out of sight when done.
    Unless you're going to be cranking out 100s of rounds at a sitting, a nice single-stage setup is cheapest and easiest. Cabelas currently has several setups on sale (Lee, RCBS, etc.). $390 and up. Pretty nice sets. Make sure you get carbide dies; no lube needed(messy).

Lee is okay but not the best. Good for its price. My stuff is a mixture of antiques and modern. Started in the '70s. Just got back into it. It's one of those hobbies where you never seem to have everything you need. There's always something else to be had.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Pretty good shooting!

UpLula, sure beats the XD Gear mag loader.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Pretty good shooting!

UpLula, sure beats the XD Gear mag loader.
    The uplula rocks! The mag springs are super tight on the XD. I could barely load it with just my hands. Now way she could do it. With the Uplula she loaded 95% of the rounds she shot.

Oldvet, I saw the cone shaped bases that make the press portable. Any experience with those? Now that we are both shooting 9mm I need to get serious about it. I have one of the $18 Lee handloading kits for my .270. It works well enough, but I don't really trust it for semi auto pistol reloading. I have had a few sizing issues with the kit. Right now I'm only looking to reload 9mm, .270, maybe .380 and 30-30.

With the lean, I have noticed women do it more than men. Seems to be an upper body strength issue. The lean helps balance the weight, but makes the stance and recoil worse. Usually, I'll just put my hands on her shoulder blades and she knows to lean forward.

First of all ...Good Stuff

But why does it look like you are about to fall backwords? Lean into it my friend.

Oops... I see now someone else mentioned the leaning back thing....Sorry
    Last edited by Hardcorp; May 1st, 2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Didn't read all the post...
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

I just recently traded a (gasp) Glock 19 for an XD9sc, and am pleased with the trade. I also got an MTAC holster and a few other goodies for it, but anyhow...

Like others noted and you confirmed, she's leaning back from the gun, and maybe I'm reading into it, but it seems she's possibly jerking the trigger a bit instead of a press. My wife does the exact same thing, and I can catch her almost closing her eyes in anticipation of the recoil. Glad your wife wanted to renew a membership, mine's disinterested in the process.

Links