Out of town gun repair plan

This is a discussion on Out of town gun repair plan within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Most of the time, when going on trips I will take two defensive pistols that compliment each other. The late great Jeff Cooper once said ...

Thread: Out of town gun repair plan

Out of town gun repair plan

Most of the time, when going on trips I will take two defensive pistols that compliment each other. The late great Jeff Cooper once said that a good quality firearm will last you a lifetime, but get two so you have spare parts, or a backup should one go down. On a recent road trip, I went shooting with a friend about 300 miles away from my home and only took my g26. We were doing some informal shooting and his g26 had a breakage of the trigger disconnector spring. It was an easy fix, but that got me to thinking that for those who only travel with one handgun, and are able to do their own repairs, it may not be a bad idea to take along a little bag of parts that would be the most likley to fail, such as springs, ejectors ect..and a tool to replasce them. Just something I thought worth considering and sharing.

2. Remove Ads

I guess if you travel alot and do some shooting while out of town, it might be a good idea. Add some simple tools, and a couple of spare magazines.

I bought or shall I say put together a complete small parts kit for the AR's. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Its the only one I have ability to rebuild and get back going.

Makes sense to have at least recoil and various important springs and those little parts that get lost easily.

The Glock platform makes an excellent travel or SHTF gun for the simple reason that you only need a few simple tools to maintain it in the field, and all the spare parts you might need are inexpensive and drop in without fitting. Combine that with the easy interchange of magazines and it's a winner for a wekend trip or a zombie invasion.

A necessity for your range bag:
    Lone Wolf Distributors - Product Detail - LWD Armorers Tool 4/1 - $19.95

or install one of these in your Glock:
    http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.a...D=1288&CAT=111

Out of the area and I'm carrying in the vehicle several pistols in case one breaks.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

If I have to leave home, several guns in the same caliber (and the appropriate holsters) always go along. Additionally, I may also take a different caliber and a couple of guns in that, too.
    One never knows what may happen away from the safe.

Stay armed...plan ahead...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Every once in a while CDNN has a sale on the Glock Armorers spring kits. These are a great deal. IMHO the most important spare part on a Glock is a trigger reset spring and an extractor on a 1911A1.

Links