Faster/Better Aim on Target with 2D Sights?

This is a discussion on Faster/Better Aim on Target with 2D Sights? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey there. So, I recently upgraded my XD45c with the Heinie "SlantPRO Straight Eight Night Sight Set" (quite a mouthful), and while shooting found I ...

Thread: Faster/Better Aim on Target with 2D Sights?

Question Faster/Better Aim on Target with 2D Sights?

Hey there. So, I recently upgraded my XD45c with the Heinie "SlantPRO Straight Eight Night Sight Set" (quite a mouthful), and while shooting found I was much quicker and more accurate on target with the 2 dot sights compared to the 3 dot sights. Follow up shots were also much quicker and more accurate as well.

I'm wondering if this is common with most shooters, and what the general opinion on 2 dot vs 3 dot sights is. (The reason I'm asking is just due to some debate among some of my friends).

Thanks in advance.

- J

OFF-TOPIC
    [I should add I've only been shooting casually for about six months and have received no formal training beyond that of the AZ CCW course. I am planning to take a few lessons so I don't teach myself (m)any bad habits. I am, however, planning on becoming a "suit" in the near future, so I don't want to learn the wrong way and have to relearn their way of shooting.]
    Last edited by AZ Hawk; April 30th, 2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Changing D to dot =)

2. Remove Ads

You should exchange the "D" to state 'dot" as I'm sure others will be wondering what you mean by "2D", as in two dimensional.

As to dots...I agree and as I understand many others do too.
    In fact I wanted those same sights but Heinie didn't and wouldn't make them fr my specific gun.

So I went Dawson fiber optic front and plain black target rear on one gun.
    Novak tritium dot front over bar rear on another gun.
    And XS tritium Big Dot front over bar rear on a third.

In daylight and dim light the FO sight combo is by far the best.
    In low light the Novak and BigDot are tied.
    For ease/quickness of picking up the sight the BigDot beats all.

If I had another gun to do it over with again I'd either go FO with a Warren Tactical rear...or a set of Heinie Straight 8 front & rear non tritium.

- Janq

P.S. - Save your dimes to dollars and at your first opportunity go get yourself aligned with an instructor (private) or group course ASAP.
    You have no idea what you don't know, and what you don't know can get you going by way of poor/bad habits down a path that can be very difficult and quite expensive (later!) to correct and resolve.
    Ask me how I know this... : \
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I HATE standard 3 dot sights. Your standard setup has dots of the same size and color. The rear dots are closer to your face and appear larger and brighter, inhibiting your ability to focus on the front. I vastly prefer subdued rear dots of a smaller size and different color, they make things easier for me.

Links