Gun drop

This is a discussion on Gun drop within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife has a distant relative that was supposedly killed when he dropped a handgun and it discharged. I know this is probably in the ...

Thread: Gun drop

Gun drop

My wife has a distant relative that was supposedly killed when he dropped a handgun and it discharged. I know this is probably in the realm of possibility but I'm wondering if the family is covering up the real scenario such as suicide or horseplay. Like I said, I'm sure this is theoretically possible but it just seems like long odds for someone to drop a handgun and have the round strike them in just the right spot to be fatal. Just looking for opinions.

2. Remove Ads

Long odds for sure ... but certainly within the realm of possibility, as the ongoing recall of the Ruger SR9 for potential drop/discharge issues demonstrates. http://www.ruger.com/safety/announcements.html
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Entirely possible. Ask old what's-his-name on the Giants who dropped his pistol and shot himself in the leg. But no one really knows the answer except for the victim.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Entirely possible.

Guns without Transfer-Bar Safties are noted for this. This is why you should only load five rounds in your Colt S.A.A. or Shotgun.

The Daddy of a gal I know was killed when a "loaded for six" S.A.A. fell out of a box he was carrying and discharged. The bullet struck him in the lower torso in such a manner that he was unable to walk or crawl, but he laid there and died just fine. They say it took a few hours.

This was back in the days before cellphones too. It was one heck of a funeral, and in no way considered suicide. Knowing the deceased gentleman as I did, if he could've crawled, fought or bit his way to help I'm sure he would've.

Biker

Anything is possible I guess. I would think that if the death is "questionable", there could be some forensic work done to help substantiate the family's claim.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

If gun was dropped there should not be any gunpowder residue on the victim's hands. That would be very easy to substantiate, and in investigating a suspicious death, should have been one of the test run.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Entirely possible. Ask old what's-his-name on the Giants who dropped his pistol and shot himself in the leg. But no one really knows the answer except for the victim.
    Actually I don't think old what's his name gun discharged because of impact on dropping. If I remember the story correctly, the gun slipped down his sweatpants and he instinctively reached for it and accidentally squeezed off a round when he grabbed it.
    I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Plaxico shot himself while trying to catch the gun (Glock), which slid down his sweatpants (no holster). The gun did not discharge because it hit the ground, but because this ignorant "criminal" accidentally caught the trigger.

Disclaimer - I'm a New England Patriots fan...
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Administrator
    The normal human reaction is to instinctively try to catch something we drop before it hits the ground/floor.
    Attempting to catch a firearm could result in a pull of the trigger.
    Any dropped firearm should just be allowed to fall and no attempt should be made to catch it in the air.

It happens, mostly with older pistols. But most shotguns are not drop safe either. Most modern handguns are drop safe. Here is a story I came across on another board. .22 pistol fell out of the door and discharged killing a woman.

Woman dies after accidental shooting in Springville - Salt Lake Tribune
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

2 days ago there was a bounty hunter here in Wichita that dropped his gun chansing someone and it discharged and caused a self-inflicted gun shot wound. Last I heard he was in critical condition. I know it's not a death, but it can happen!

Of course it is certainly within the realm of possibility.

However, there are so many factors involved.

Discharging when dropped onto a hard surface is "very remote", but still possible. Depending on which "type of gun" was dropped and what kind of internal safety mechanisms it had, that can move from the "very remote" possibility and enter into the realm of "highly unlikely."

We don't know what type of gun it was. So it's pointless to speculate beyond, "yes, it's possible."

Also it may have been, as stated earlier, they attempted to catch a falling gun. In which case, the odds of a negligent discharge goes up significantly over merely letting it fall to the floor.

And then finally, human nature being what it is... It could have just been a story concocted to save the family the embarrassment of the reality of suicide or simply irresponsible horseplay.

Probably something you'll never know for sure. It happens. Take the story with a grain of salt and don't let it influence your understanding of firearms and how they operate. Too many holes in the story to make any assumptions or come to any conclusions to be of any value.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links