Thinking of a Lever gun - Page 2

Thinking of a Lever gun

This is a discussion on Thinking of a Lever gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ramrunnr Anyone familiar with a Rossi Interarms Model 92? I have the Rossi Puma 92 in 357. Not specifically familiar with the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ramrunnr View Post
    Anyone familiar with a Rossi Interarms Model 92?
    I have the Rossi Puma 92 in 357. Not specifically familiar with the Interarms. There are a few '92 manufacturers, Chiappa is one. The newer Rossi is a branch of Taurus. The original Rossis have a great reputation, I'm not up on the newer models enough to advise. Mine is the carbine 16" barrel in stainless. Love it, may be the most fun gun I shoot. Might be a little difficult to scope mount as it is a top ejector. Though I have seen a "side mount" scope. A great place for research is leverguns.com.

check out rossi.com thay make nice lever action rifles
    NRA LIFE MEMBER SCOPE MEMBER

I slicked-up a couple of Rossi 92's for a couple of local CAS folks, they seemed to be fine quality-wise. No issues. One of them gave me some instructions on action work he had found at some or another CAS website, so the info on them is out there.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Now I have never owned any stainless firearms. Everything I have is blued or Tennifer (whatever it is on the Glocks). Is there anything special that you have to do with stainless. I would think that stainless would require less maintenance compared to blued, but I don't know.

Thanks guys.
    Nope. Clean as you would any gun metal and lightly oil. SS isn't 100% rust-proof but won't with minimal care. Much more resistant to sweat salt corrosion.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I have the good 'ole Marlin 336 (30-30) in stainless...

I also have the plain 'ole Henry Rifle in 22mag...no shiny stuff, just an octogan barrel...

Gotta' love those lever guns...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Marlin 1894 C .357 lever action. They are out there in 18 ", 20" , and 24" barrels. The CB is the octagon barrel.

Henry .357 basic lever action. They are not all ornate.

cj
    I did the 1894C from a Big 5 sporting goods (western US small box store) a few years ago, and only recently managed to add an SP-101 as its companion. Too bad they seem tough to get right now.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I went down this road. Looked, researched, looooked and reeeesearched. At the end of the day the Marlin 1894C is the one you want. It took me 6 months to get one. I put those "alert me if you get one" on a number of internet sites. Finally got an auto email from Bud's gun shop when they got a few. I place an order within 20 minutes of getting that email. They sold out of them 20 minutes after that.

I'm really really GLAD I waited and got what I wanted. The gun is a blast to shoot, doesnt add another caliber to my line up. With .38's there's really no recoil at all. With .357's there's a very mild recoil. My works perfectly. There was one "knot" mark on my stock but it's part of the character. If I could pick between two in a store I would have picked one with out the mark but it's still really nice.

I held many others and especially the Rossi's. I almost bought a 16" rossi becasue I really like the 16" barrel and you can't get a Marlin in 16" unless you buy an old used one. But the solid top is the key to the Marlin. If you ever decide to add a scope it's a lot easier.

I would feel very comfortable taking deer with 158 grain jacketed soft points (not JHP) under 100's but it would be a standing shot where I'd be confident of good bullet placement.

They can be stiff at first but what a wonderful rifle to shoot!!

I've toyed with the idea of buying a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 to make it a set but really wouldn't have a need for the Blackhawk.

Good luck and if you decide on the Marlin; hold out. In the end you'll be glad you did.

Gideon

Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I went down this road. Looked, researched, looooked and reeeesearched. At the end of the day the Marlin 1894C is the one you want. It took me 6 months to get one. I put those "alert me if you get one" on a number of internet sites. Finally got an auto email from Bud's gun shop when they got a few. I place an order within 20 minutes of getting that email. They sold out of them 20 minutes after that.

I'm really really GLAD I waited and got what I wanted. The gun is a blast to shoot, doesnt add another caliber to my line up. With .38's there's really no recoil at all. With .357's there's a very mild recoil. My works perfectly. There was one "knot" mark on my stock but it's part of the character. If I could pick between two in a store I would have picked one with out the mark but it's still really nice.

I held many others and especially the Rossi's. I almost bought a 16" rossi becasue I really like the 16" barrel and you can't get a Marlin in 16" unless you buy an old used one. But the solid top is the key to the Marlin. If you ever decide to add a scope it's a lot easier.

I would feel very comfortable taking deer with 158 grain jacketed soft points (not JHP) under 100's but it would be a standing shot where I'd be confident of good bullet placement.

They can be stiff at first but what a wonderful rifle to shoot!!

I've toyed with the idea of buying a Ruger Blackhawk in .357 to make it a set but really wouldn't have a need for the Blackhawk.

Good luck and if you decide on the Marlin; hold out. In the end you'll be glad you did.

Gideon
    I am really leaning toward the Marlin now and I do have a Marlin .22LR lever and I like it. I also toyed with getting one of the BlackHawks. I have a Single Six Convertible (.22LR/.22WMR) already. Having the two Revolvers and the two rifles is almost like having a Big Brother, Little Brother set.

If I later do get a BlackHawk, I'll get the Convertible model, which would have one cylinder for .38 Special and .357 Magnum and a second cylinder for 9mm Parabellum. More for the novelty of it, not really to go out just to shoot 9mm through a revolver.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

One suggestion is to make sure you get the Marlin without the Microgroove barrel if you shoot lead bullets at all. Newer models should have the Ballard rifling, but many on the used market are going to have the Microgroove rifling. Much easier to clean the ballard after shooting lead, and it may be more accurate with lead bullets but I didn't notice much difference in that department.

Loaded with 170 grain jacketed soft points or 180 grain hard cast bullets, a 357 lever is anything but marginal for most hunting needs if you can place the shot.

There are Lot of people here who sway the 357 is marginal. Why is this? Col Wesson hunted and killed Alaskan bear with the cartridge when it first came out and that was with a very limited bullet selection. When fired from a rifle the 357 becomes an entirely different beast, reaching velocities of 2000 fps. It is good medicine for anything in this country with the right bullet. There may be better choices, but in a rifle the 357 is hardly just marginal

Compete in Cowboy Action with a Rossi.
    Runs like a Swiss watch.
    Consider a Cowboy Action shooter will run through more ammo in a season than a cowboy would "back when" in his entire LIFETIME.
    If it can stand up to Cowboy Action use, it's gotta be good!
    Now, the Marlin. (I compete with it as well.)
    Marlin was the actual "Gun that Won the West."
    Winchester had a better press agent and trademarked the phrase.
    Marlin was designed to do nothing but work.
    It's designed to be worked on by a cowboy, in the field, using a ground-down pocket knife for a screw driver.
    Absurdly simple.
    Absolutely reliable.
    Still kicking myself for trading off a .30-30 Marlin 34 years ago.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Well I called my gun shop and they have now got me on the list for a Marlin either blued or stainless. Now all I have to do is play the waiting game.

Hopefully it will be before
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

.357 , 100 yrds... no adjustment in my sight. 200 yrds, 1 click.

I've won alot of bets with that rifle. 1) that is wasn't a 24" barrel , it is, 2) that you can't hit like that with a .357 cal.... I do.

Talking Update! Whoo!

Well I called my gun shop and they have now got me on the list for a Marlin either blued or stainless. Now all I have to do is play the waiting game.

Hopefully it will be before
    Ok, now it pays to frequent a store, for every employee to know you, what you are looking for, and having your cell phone number on the speeddial. As I am driving into work (morning of the 21st) I get a call on my cell. One of the guys from the store says come by I just found something you might like. I was like two minutes from the store and I was early for work anyway, so I whipped the car on into the store. Someone at the store had descided that the back room needed cleaning and they stumbled upon several rifles that had been on layaway and never finished out and picked up. In the group that was found was a rifle with "Amadeo Rossi S A" and "Model 92 SRC" stamped on it. It is a .357 Magnum/.38 Special Lever action.

I was able to pick it up for $200.00+sales tax and I bought some .357 Magnum Lever Evolution ammo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links