Thinking of a Lever gun

This is a discussion on Thinking of a Lever gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am adding a Ruger SP-101 in .357 Magnum to my bag-o-tricks. So, here is my dilemma. I have started getting my new firearms in ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a Lever gun

Thinking of a Lever gun

I am adding a Ruger SP-101 in .357 Magnum to my bag-o-tricks.

So, here is my dilemma. I have started getting my new firearms in "sets". I have the 9mm Glocks (minus the 18) and a Kel-Tec SUB-2000, pistols and a matching pistol caliber carbine. I have begun to think that a .357 Magnum lever gun would be a good match to the SP-101.

I am not into Cowboy Action shooting, plus the SP-101 would not work for that anyway. I'm thinking of something that I could hunt with if necessary, while trying to keep as few different calibers for now. (a la SHTF) I'm just looking for suggestions on what my friends on here have had good luck with. The only accessory I am looking at adding to the rifle is possibly a scope.

The Henry guns that I have seen have been very ornate, and I am not interested it that kind of weapon. Just your basic rifle.

Thanks for your help.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

2. Remove Ads

re

not in the caliber you requested but i own one of these in .44 and its a blast to shoot - 20" barrel and it is tapped for a scope but i don't have one - never had a hiccup with this gun - i really like the Marlin line of levers this is a model 1894 - go check them out

"Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

I have the 1894 44 mag with the 16 inch porter barrel and have taken many head of big game with it. I think it would double nicely for home defense with the right load. I wold never sell it. You won't be disappointed.

I bought the Marlin Lever Action .357 Magnum for the same reason as a companion rifle to my Ruger Police Service Six and Ruger SP101. You can also shoot .38 Special out of them all as well (which is handy since I have two S&W snub 38s). If is an excellent small to mid-game fun in 38 and good for larger game as a brush/woods gun up to about 100 yards. It's a great weapon and my bianchi speed strips work great with it as well. Great Home Defense Gun too. Grab your lever and revolver in pocket with a couple of speed strips and you're good to go with a re-load for either.

I've got a couple pics posted on here somewhere...you might be able to do a search.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    +1 on the 44 mag. Although I have a Marlin 336 30-30 and will keep it to the grave.

I like the idea of a rifle that shares food with a handgun. I'd pick up a .357 in a heartbeat.

Good luck on finding the Marlin 357. I've been checking every week at the local GS for 5 months with no luck. The distributor website notes: "allocated", code for rare as hens teeth. I also have the 44 Mag ( carry with Charter Arms 44sp Bulldog) and 30-30 and just love them.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

I know that a black Henry or a stainless-steel Marlin are more sensible weapons than those pretty [expensive] brass-parted Henry rifles, but I still have got to get me just one of those pretty brass guns.

VIP Member
    The Henry's are good guns, but I've read a number of reports that their frames and magazine tubes are not as strong as other options.

Anybody wanting a Marlin is likely to wait for months. Marlin closed its New England plant and is supposedly moving down south somewhere. Once the new plant is up and running, distributors should have inventory back in. Until then, good luck.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you're wanting a .357 Mag lever-action as an addition to your collection, that's fine. But it's not much in way of a "hunting" round. Limited range at best. But if you want that handgun/rifle combo, by all means--go for it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you're wanting a .357 Mag lever-action as an addition to your collection, that's fine. But it's not much in way of a "hunting" round. Limited range at best. But if you want that handgun/rifle combo, by all means--go for it.
    I understand that .357 Magnum is not the best to hunt with, I have other rifles, I just like to have handgun/rifle combos. I am liking this Marlin Model 1894CSS or this Marlin Model 1894C. Looks like the same rifle, just the first one is stainless and the second one is blued. Now I have never owned any stainless firearms. Everything I have is blued or Tennifer (whatever it is on the Glocks). Is there anything special that you have to do with stainless. I would think that stainless would require less maintenance compared to blued, but I don't know.

Thanks guys.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    I have to have a recoil pad on the butt of my 1894SS .44 magnum, but the 1894CS .357 is like shooting a .22, only louder. I've got 'scopes on both of 'em, and love 'em both. But I wouldn't buy a gun as small as an SP101 in .357 and wouldn't treat it as a companion to an 1894 Marlin. That thing will not be fun to shoot at all. At least not with .357's in it. I'd suggest a 4" GP100 or S&W 686 at a minimum.

.357 is just fine for hunting East of the Mississippi. You won't have too much trouble dropping black bear, coyote, or white-tails with that. If you want Kodiak or monster Elk, then you need something with a bit more oomph.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

The SP-101 is for Conceal carry, I was planning on buying a full sized revolver after getting a rifle.

Anyone familiar with a Rossi Interarms Model 92?

i used to own a Marlin 336 with no safety in .35 rem it was ok i didnt like it so i sold it, i now am pround owner of a Winchester Model 94AE in 30-30 win caliber i love it! i wanted to own a piece of winchester history before they aint around anymore. Its pretty accurate out to 50-75 yards right on target with iron sights.
    Bushmaster XM15 E2S Shorty
    Walther P99 .40 S&W
    Romanian WASR GP 10/63
    Remington model 700 30-06
    Savage Model 62 .22lr
    Glock 19 gen 3 TALO

Quote Originally Posted by ramrunnr View Post
    I understand that .357 Magnum is not the best to hunt with, I have other rifles, I just like to have handgun/rifle combos. I am liking this Marlin Model 1894CSS or this Marlin Model 1894C. Looks like the same rifle, just the first one is stainless and the second one is blued. Now I have never owned any stainless firearms. Everything I have is blued or Tennifer (whatever it is on the Glocks). Is there anything special that you have to do with stainless. I would think that stainless would require less maintenance compared to blued, but I don't know.

Thanks guys.
    I got my 1894C about a year ago. My gun shop ordered it. It's a good hunting rifle up to about 100 yards...I don't need to be shooting anything farther away than that anyway.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links