What is your range regiment??

This is a discussion on What is your range regiment?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; going to the range this morning and practice my strong/weak hand regiment and was wondering how many folks actually work on something specific when they ...

Thread: What is your range regiment??

What is your range regiment??

going to the range this morning and practice my strong/weak hand regiment and was wondering how many folks actually work on something specific when they practice or do you just blow through 50 rounds for fun on a single target and go home?

i go through a lot of targets as i usually put no more than 10 rounds in one before i change on this strong/weak hand drill - just makes it easier to review what each hand is doing for me

i work on stance,different distances with different weapons,experiment with grip,try different loads etc - i try to always have something specific to work on when i go

do you have a plan when you practice or is it just aim for the bull and see what happens??

just curious
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Always have a plan. Sometimes it is weak-hand/strong-hand. Sometimes it is short range. Sometimes it is ...... Well, you get the point. Ammo is too expensive and my time is too important to me to "just aim for the bull and see what happens".

Of course, there are days for fun with your buddies. These are specifically days when you burn up some ammo and bond with friends. That is important also. But it is a part of the plan!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Yup. I carry different guns with different plans when I go.

I also do weird stuff like forcing myself to use my left(weak) hand/arm during routine daily activities to carry stuff, thread nuts & bolts, etc..

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I do some of both. Sometimes I just go to enjoy some time with a friend or two, and those I usually just chill out through. When it's just me, though, it's all business! I drill standard, one handed, off hand, sight picture, target acquisition, you name it.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The public range I have to use is tightly controlled (no holsters, no rapid fire, etc.), so I have to concentrate on accuracy in one- and two-handed holds. Once I get to the point where I can hit the paper more than twice out of ten rounds I'll start my weak-hand training. Not quite there yet. Have a ways to go before I begin worrying about shooting left-handed.

50-100 .45 Auto rounds followed by another 100 thru my G30 .22 conversion kit. I'll be adding my CZ-82 to that sequence real soon.

(You didn't go for the 2 out of 10 bit, did you?)
    Last edited by OldVet; May 2nd, 2010 at 01:58 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

re

^^^ not for 1 second
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

You got my attention, at least.

I think you mean "regimen"...

Brian

After I get the target up and downrange at 7 yds...draw from concealment and put 3-5 shots on the target...re-assess....another 3-5 shots....reload/re-assess....3-5 shots.

Failure to stop drills

Strong side, 1-arm draw...shoot...reload...reholster (variants)

Weak side draw, shoot, reload, reholster (variants)

Low-light shooting, shoot w/flashlight...

All with varying distances...3ft-45ft
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

re

ooops - my typing is no reflection of my shooting

i mostly go to relieve stress. I shoot @ steel plates one b/c they are reactive and 2 b/c i'm just plain lazy. i figure if i can consistently hit the plates then i can consistently hit the black on a target @ the same distance. I need to practice more weak hand shooting. Lately i've been shooting "long" distances just to improve my overall shooting. That and it feels good being able to hit the plates @ 35-40 yards at least 75% of the time

I do like others have described, plus I do "Failure to Fire" drills using snap caps. I have my friend load my magazines for me and I load his. We go through about 10+ mag loads each session in each weapon we are training with that day. Snap caps placed in the mag to simulate a light strike or a bad primer. Allows us to train for various problems. We both have snap caps in every caliber we own.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Myself and my better half work on our different ranges. Since she's always been a rifle lady and it's been a while for me, we've been working our distances first, varying our distances, 7, 15 yards, then 25 yards for a short time since I don't foresee that being a primary shooting range for either of us, but we will practice it no matter what.

We'll work our weak hand shooting after she is ready and I'm back up to form, another week or two. We hitting our targets, but not where I think I should be (all black, but not 9/10 marks yet) The better half is coming along nicely.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Range regiment

I work out all 3 handguns with a mixture of exercises. Two hand grip, working on stance and body posture (I tend to lean back a little too much). I have recently changed to both eyes being open when engaging the target - a difficult thing to get used to, but natural sight acquisition will come eventually. Stong and weak hand drills account for about 40 rounds per hand. I used to practice FTF drills with A-Zooms but ended up losing several among the various calibers on the floor, as well as having them eject past the firing line. A valuable exercise for sure but cheaper if done at home. I vary distances of targets, use full size silhouettes and switch between body and head shots as well as IDPA / NRA 25 yard pistol targets. Another aspect of range time involves loading 2 magazines and tucking one into my belt carrier, then doing emergency reloads once the first magazine is empty.
    I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

Either the 75th Ranger Regiment

or
    503d Parachute Infantry Regiment

Sorry, couldn't resist.
    Some drink at the fountain of Knowledge, others just gargle.

Links