Need advice

This is a discussion on Need advice within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Whatup fellas, need some advice about a friend that wants to get his CHP. Now, not sure if you guys know what a "one upper" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice

Need advice

Whatup fellas, need some advice about a friend that wants to get his CHP. Now, not sure if you guys know what a "one upper" is. I'll explain. A one upper is a guy that basically, one ups you on everything you do or say. So he can look better. So for example:

Me: "dude, just got me a new 42" LCD TV and its sweet!".
    One upper: "Well I just got a 50" LED with 4 HDMI inputs, 2 VGA plus a 100.1 surround sound system".

So now I've had my CHP for about 6 months and I've kept it a secret from him. But now he knows. So he tells me that he is getting one too. So I know he is getting it just to show off to people. And I know he is not going to take it serious and probably show up with an RPG at my house.

2. Remove Ads

First, is he a friend or an acquaintance?
    If he is a friend, then have a talk with him. Explain your concerns about him. Offer to go with him to some quality training, including use of force concepts.

If he is more of an acquaintance, then let him know how seriously you take your safety in a general conversation. Then cut back on the amount of time you are exposed to him.

Someone like that can drag you into a really bad situation very quickly. Sounds like he would escalate a situation that could have been avoided.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You don't get a CC permit for "braggin' rights," which exactly what it sounds like for him. Just tell him to get the biggest, most powerful hand cannon that can be hoisted with two hands and laugh at him when he shows up with something like a super-sized Desert Eagle in his Dirty Harry shoulder sling!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Some folks roam this world as a hollow and empty shell. Obviously that's the way they want to be, so let them. These sort of folks have the ability to suck energy from you like a black hole sucks in stars. Stay away from the gravitational pull.

I tent to stay away from "one uppers and I only buy the best" types.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Unforunately he is a friend and always been like this. He never comes up with his own hobbies just copies everyones else. I'd hate to lose a friend but I don't trust him, especially since he has never cared for guns in the ten years I've known him.

Mic
    Quote Originally Posted by JXONE View Post
    Unforunately he is a friend and always been like this. He never comes up with his own hobbies just copies everyones else. I'd hate to lose a friend but I don't trust him, especially since he has never cared for guns in the ten years I've known him.
    Sit him down and have a heart to heart if he's a friend then he'll stay a friend, if not then it really dont mater dose it.
    Timid people sleep peacefully at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Molôn Labé!

The most important part of a CHP/CCW is the C....

One of the thing I like to do when I go out to eat is to look around the room a try to pick out who I beleive is carrying. Not that I will know for sure, but if i see a guy with an NRA hat or shirt on hi is most likely carrying.

I tell you this to say that part of the concealment is your attitude if and you are getting a CCW just to have "bragging rights" then maybe you should stick to muscle cars. Carrying a weapon is a huge responsibility and should be taken very seriously and with the proper attitude.

(Sorry ..When I say "you" I mean your friend..I have given this speech before and I'm use to saying you....)

Your friend should think about why he wants to get his CCW and fully understand the responsibility of doing so.
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

re

start telling him stories about folks you see at the range who think the permit is some kind of trophy or badge and who practice poor safety and how this irritates the heck out of you and that your thinking of taking up another hobbie because thats not what ccw is all about
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    He isn't the guy from the Toyota commercial who "one ups" the neighbor - is it?
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

A fellow retiree guy and I took CCW classes for something fun to do, at Miami Valley Shooting Grounds near Vandalia, Ohio. Most of that class emphasized and made us realize the heavy serious deadly consequences and legal and liable responsibilites that we were in effect agreeing to accept; with anecdotal instructor stories, our questions, and the CCW handbook that we studied, and the questions that we had to answer and pass. Shooting our guns was fun and took two hours. I also started buying and studying gun magazines, for the very first time, and discussing and sharing them with my gun buddy to study. As mature men friends, and as former servicemen, we soon knew that this is no joke, folks. "The Ayoob Files" do not always have happy-ending stories that make you smile.

Quote Originally Posted by JXONE View Post
    I couldn't consider a person that I cannot trust to be a good friend. As I am all about newbies taking interest in being SAFE and RESPONSIBLE gun owners and getting a CHL, it is definitely not for everyone. To some people it is all about the image, and those are the people that will usually getting into some kind of avoidable trouble, and giving the rest of us a bad rep.

We call them "STANS" where I'm at. As in "Sh*t, That Ain't Nothin'", which is their standard response to any story anyone else tells.

Tell him that you are considering carrying a S&W .460 for a CCW and watch while he shoots his S&W .500

Sounds like the guy has very very low self confidence, so he feels the need to "one up" someone to appear adequate.

Honestly, I would sit down and tell him to just be himself and life is not a contest.
    There is no need for competition between friends.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links