Why did you buy your first gun?

This is a discussion on Why did you buy your first gun? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; When you bought your first gun, why did you do it? What was the reason if any? Was it on a whim, or did you ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did you buy your first gun?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

When you bought your first gun, why did you do it? What was the reason if any?

Was it on a whim, or did you have a reason?

I bought my first gun in march on my 21st birthday. I got my concealed permit already and carry everywhere I can. I guess the reasoning I got my first gun is my lifelong interest in firearms and personal protection. I am a firm believer that I need to defend myself and I don't want to rely on anyone else to do that for me.

I bought my first gun, a Walther PP .32acp, after being threatened with a gun, maybe not the best reaction at the time, but I didn't care for having one pointed in my direction with nothing in my hands but my!

About a year after we were married, my wife landed her first job out of college teaching in a small town in eastern Colorado. Her first paycheck arrived just before a large auction in the area, with several guns up for sale. We spent almost the entire check at that auction, just to have something in the house (.357) and something to fill the freezer (single shot .308).
    What the **** - How did I end up on this soapbox again?!?!?

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    My first gun purchase was a Mossberg 500 when I turned 18 for skeet shooting with some buddies. My first handgun purchase was a Beretta 92FS when I was 23 because I always liked the Lethal Weapons movies.

I bought my first gun on a sad note actually because it was after my mom died (I was still a teenager) since she never would let me have anything more than a BBGun.

Senior Member Array xsigma40cal's Avatar
    Robbed at knife point in downtown Minneapolis, got the snot beaten out of me, took my wallet, cell, car keys, and watch. Not gonna happen again.

My first was a 870 super mag. The idea was I could use it for hunting and home defense. It took another six years to convince my wife to let me get a handgun and carry.
    HK USP .45
    HK P2000sk .40

victim of a team hazing! got kicked in the head by one of those timberland work boots! out for 28 hours. yup, not gonna happen again...
    got to texas as fast as i could...Fuhgeddaboudit!

My first handgun was my Sig P228. It was a college graduation/Army commisioning/wedding gift from my father. (I did all three in the same 48 hour period).
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

1st gun was a Buffalo Bill BB gun, still have it hanging in my shop. Wish it still worked. That's where I learned to OC....back in the day you never left home with out your BB gun! I grew up in the country an cant remember not having guns around. My father gave me a 30-30 when i was a young teenager.I bought my own 20 gauge single shot as a teenager(i could unload/load that baby quick to). I still have 3 single shot 20's . Used for dove,squirrel huntin. I kinda of like them. My prize possession is a Belgium made Browning "sweet sixteen" 28 in. gold trigger. It use to be my fathers. My 1st. handgun purchase was a P95 DC Ruger 9MM,for CC.

Because I have loved the second amendment and all of my other rights since I was a tyke.

Carrying was a different story, I think it had something to do with "highest murder rate per capita" "lowest average income city in the United States" and our city / surrounding areas cutting our LEO budget in half, six on duty cops at a time is more like a response team than a police force.

Mainly just because I could! I kept meaning to get around to it, but I never had much money to spare, and then the manager and a worker of a local business got their heads bashed in with baseball bats. They were co-operating and they were assaulted anyways as a show of force. It was enough of a wake up for me to realize that most robberies don't happen like Hollywood wants you to think they do.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgyver210 View Post
    since she never would let me have anything more than a BBGun.
    I wasn't allowed even the BB gun. Mom says that is why I have so many now.

I bought my Mossberg 500 to go squirrel hunting in 1985.

First gun was a S&W Model 19. I bought it because I liked target shooting and didn't want to borrow my friends guns.

First carry gun was a S&W 4006.

I still have them today.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links