I won a remington 700

This is a discussion on I won a remington 700 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to the Harry Hampton Wildlfie fund banquest last night and won a remington 700 sps dm in 270 win. Anybody have one of these. ...

Thread: I won a remington 700

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar

I won a remington 700

Went to the Harry Hampton Wildlfie fund banquest last night and won a remington 700 sps dm in 270 win. Anybody have one of these. It seems to have a nice trigger. I have only deer hunted with my 7mm mag so I don't know how the 270 win compares. i might keep in case my daugthers want to try out hunting.

2. Remove Ads

Nice prize, and great idea about letting the daughter's using it.

Can't offer much experience with 270 win, but just wanted to say gratz.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

VIP Member
    Nice score, congrats!!

Here's some info on the .270................

.270 Winchester - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a flat shootin' round.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Nice door prize!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I hate you!
    Not really, it's great to see someone win. I've had a 700ADL in 30-06 since the '70s and absolutely love the rifle. The .270 was my second choice in calibers, but I chose the -06 because I was trying to get stationed in Alaska and wanted the heavier bullets.
    The .270 will take down anything you can hunt in the lower 48. An excellent caliber. It's been used to take African game, but that was by O'conner and the likes.
    Congrats!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    The most accurate & consistent across a range of loads rifle straight out of the box that I have ever owned is a 700, which I have had for years.

I'll not get into caliber wars, but I agree w/ OldVet, "the .270 will take down anything you can hunt in the lower 48" -- albeit for specific game in specific terrain "x" would be better.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    While the 270 Win is a good flat shooting cartridge, it does have it's drawbacks. The biggest being range of factory bullet weights available for it. Not sure how much has changed, but when I was shooting a 270 the lightest bullet weight I could find was I believe 100 grain and heaviest was 150 grain. While good for dear, antelope and other smaller game, I don't think it would be even my 2nd choice for large game like elk, moose or grizzly bear.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    the lightest bullet weight I could find was I believe 100 grain and heaviest was 150 grain.
    Barnes goes to180 grain.

Nosler Partition goes to 160 Grain.

May be some others, which I'm not aware of.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Soweet! The .270 is one of the most versatile cartridges around. Just ask Jack O'Connor.

If you reload, you can easily go from light coyote loads to efficient elk stoppers.

Now, since you saved so much money on the rifle (ha ha), get the best glass you can't afford
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Congrats!

The .270 is an excellent deer cartridge, and the 700 is a beautiful rifle. Congratulations!

Everything is great if you get it free!

In my State, next to the 30-30, the .243 and the .270 are probably the most prevalent deer rifles used by hunters.

I'm a fan of the .270 because it's fast and a flat shooter. Of course there are some drawbacks just like there are in any caliber.

But to get a free Rem 700 in .270 as a door prize... That's a big win in my book!

Congrats buddy!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links