An unusually effective rifle that hardly leaves a mark.

This is a discussion on An unusually effective rifle that hardly leaves a mark. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sometimes you see an animal get darted on the news. So if you're interested here's some info on how it works. Of course some of ...

Thread: An unusually effective rifle that hardly leaves a mark.

VIP Member

An unusually effective rifle that hardly leaves a mark.

Sometimes you see an animal get darted on the news. So if you're interested here's some info on how it works. Of course some of you probably have experience with these, and may own one also.

I bought this dart gun several years ago to use with my cattle. I try not to use it, but sometimes nothing else works quite as easy and effective. I worry about the late-night phone call about a cow out on the highway. The first remedy isn't really a dart gun, it's having good fences, getting rid of the cows that are "crazy", and having any other cows "trained" where they'll follow me back to their pasture, while I'm carrying a feed bucket.

Aside from all of that they do get out, the worst thing that can happen is to first get the animal all panicky and jacked up. People hollering/chasing them, dogs barking/chasing them, horns honking, etc. It's best if just one or two people walk near the cow slowly, make a little noise and coax her in the direction you'd want her to go (off the highway). She'll be nervous anyway, so try and go easy. If it's a BAD cow, it makes it a little more difficult. When I mean BAD, I mean one that wants to fight you, butt you, and run over you. Sadly I know about those.

Here's a couple of photos I attached.

First picture- Is a photo of the single-shot dart gun. It's made by New England Firearms (I'll bet you've heard of them) , single shot, 32 gauge rifled barrel. As you can see it has an adapter that allows a .22 blank to be fired in it. I happened to have one so it's in the picture, the end was crimped. The blanks are special, they come in three different strengths.....very low, low, and a medium that supposedly is designed for 50-75 yards. Range and the weight of the dart all factor in your decision on your choice of blank. Too hot can cause some impact damage to the animal, or so I've read.

I can typically get close enough to most cows, and most will be walking away from me, I shoot them with the lowest powered blank and aim for their "ham". When struck most cows essentially do nothing.... maybe trot off a few feet, I've seen a few sort of kick out with one back leg. I leave them alone, and they'll go off about 50-100 yds stop, and stand there for a while. You can tell when the sleep-juice takes affect, they'll lay down. At that point I'm feeling like everything worked. I put up my rifle at this point, and start implementing whatever plan I have to implement.

After about 10-15 minutes they are zzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz.

Second picture- This is the dart components from left to right. Nose plug (needle/barbed), syringe barrel, blue rubber plunger, internal charge, red tail piece, and last is an unfired blank. To assemble it, you first lube the plunger and insert fully into the syringe barrel. You can't see it but it has a cavity that holds the internal charge, all of that is pushed up inside the syringe to allow the tailpiece to be screwed on. I hold the syringe upright and load it with the appropriate amount of sedative, then screw on the needle. It's ready to go.

I break open the rifle, take out the adapter and insert the dart (fits tightly), there is a "measuring stick" that I use to push the dart in the barrel far enough so I can but the adapter back in. Load the blank in the adapter and it's ready to fire.

I do want to mention a little about the internal charge. It's a neatly designed miniature bomb that works on inertia, it has to placed in the plunger a certain direction. When the dart is fired, nothing happens but when it strikes something solid and comes to a complete stop it makes a small explosion that powers the rubber plunger forward and rapidly injects the sedative in the animal. If it doesn't explode then the sedative essentially stays in the syringe not delivering any appreciable amount to the animal.

I also want to mention the barb.....nothing sadistic going on here. It's main purpose is to hold the needle that's stuck in the cow so that when the rapid injection takes place it doesn't come flying back out of the cow during that pressure discharge. It's also nice that I can retrieve and reuse my dart assembly.

I have been mentioning bomb, pressure and explosion and so forth during this process, and they do exist but it is so minor that you never see it or hear it whatsoever. I chose those words because they help describe what's happening.

That about wraps it up, though I saved the story about the flying goat that I shot at one night.

Sorry this was long, but I tried to thoroughly cover all the elements.
    Attached Images
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

2. Remove Ads

ok , I'm not a country boy by any stretch of the imagination....but I do know a cow is a largish animal.....how do you move it once its conked out????
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

That's interesting. I suppose it's great to have options when you have an especially cantankerous or stubborn cow that won't do what you want it to.

I put up my rifle at this point, and start implementing whatever plan I have to implement.
    What do you do once it's down? Slip a rope around its neck and wait for it to wake up?

Seems like a lot of beef to be loading up when it's all dead weight.

VIP Member
    Yeah, they are big and heavy......very hard to pick up to move.

Typically for me, when they wake up they have a rope around their neck and looped over their snout (prevents choking) and the rope leads up through the nearby cow trailer I brought up during the sleep session. When they stand (still somewhat groggy) they can't get away, and with some pulling on the rope they'll pretty much go up in the trailer.

Another way, same thing basically, they wake up with the nearby cow trailer, and I've put up a small square of portable panels (like a fence) around them. No way out, and with some encouragement they'll jump up in the trailer for their ride to somewhere.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

ROFLMAO!!!!!! Clever!

Yes officer I can identify the suspect,he will be sleeping with a needle stuck in his posterior
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

This "type" of "weapon" is used also extensively by our Fish & Game Officers for "critters" ( Bears, cougars, Cow Moose etc. & smaller critters. ( the "Trank" load in the dart is chosen for size.) GREAT tool & thanks for sharing.

Puffer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by puffer View Post
    This "type" of "weapon" is used also extensively by our Fish & Game Officers for "critters" ( Bears, cougars, Cow Moose etc. & smaller critters. ( the "Trank" load in the dart is chosen for size.) GREAT tool & thanks for sharing.

Puffer
    Right, plus Animal Control Officers, veterinarians, zoos, sheriff office.

BTW the company that distributes this gun and the accessories is Palmer Chemical and Equipment in Georgia. The brand name is "Cap-Chur". The rifle has to be sent and bought through a FFL

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Yes officer I can identify the suspect,he will be sleeping with a needle stuck in his posterior
    I'd guess the company founder is a tough, no nonsense guy. Here is a paragraph taken from the instruction manual.

"In addition, the equipment may be used to control unruly people under controlled conditions. For protection of the home and business, the use of a chemical irritant, i.e. vinegar or red hot pepper sauce, injected into an intruder will guarantee his non-return."

VIP Member
    As a reformed farm-boy, I can say that cows are some of the dumbest animals on the planet. They will almost always do things the hard way. Dart guns are useful tools when handling stock in extreme conditions (such as described), but generally I found that a slab of hay or a bucket of feed is more effective.

I'd guess the company founder is a tough, no nonsense guy. Here is a paragraph taken from the instruction manual.

"In addition, the equipment may be used to control unruly people under controlled conditions. For protection of the home and business, the use of a chemical irritant, i.e. vinegar or red hot pepper sauce, injected into an intruder will guarantee his non-return."

I had to laugh when I read this. Yes, I can see it as a deterrent, but, really, how long will it take to register on the BG? I think pepper spray or a good old fashioned injection of buckshot would be more effective.

Thanks for the post and the trip down memory lane.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Too bad the idiots in Oakland, CA, didn't have one of these when they shot the baby deer 7 times in a back yard.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    I had to laugh when I read this. Yes, I can see it as a deterrent, but, really, how long will it take to register on the BG?
    But wouldn't you love to see the look on the BG's face when he looked down at a dart sticking out of him?

Links