Ever Hear of a Monday/Friday Weapon

This is a discussion on Ever Hear of a Monday/Friday Weapon within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at my Gunsmith the other day having my Ruger worked on (she's fine now) and his co-worker mentioned a Monday/Friday Gun, I didn't ...

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar

I was at my Gunsmith the other day having my Ruger worked on (she's fine now) and his co-worker mentioned a Monday/Friday Gun, I didn't get a chance to ask him since he came up with my weapon and showed me what he had to do to it..

For those more seasoned in the Manufacturing world of weapons or just weapons in general, what does a Monday/Friday Gun mean?
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Never heard of Monday-Friday gun.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Does it refer to a "duty" piece as opposed to comfort carry?
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I don't know, I'll call them Monday and ask him to clarify it for me. All I can figure at this time is when it was made referring to being made on a Monday (fresh mold) or on Friday towards the end of the Mold, that's as close as I can figure.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    I was at my Gunsmith the other day having my Ruger worked on (she's fine now) and his co-worker mentioned a Monday/Friday Gun, I didn't get a chance to ask him since he came up with my weapon and showed me what he had to do to it..

For those more seasoned in the Manufacturing world of weapons or just weapons in general, what does a Monday/Friday Gun mean?
    "Monday/Friday" guns, cars, appliances, whatever is an old term based on the idea of a five-day-work week and production workers being hungover on Monday and in a rush to make quota/ get out the door on Friday.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

That's what I was think today, mistakes happen, mold is not as sharp on Friday to sharp on Monday, he still referred to it I guess since the molds would be one way or another, I don't know. I was just curious is all, never heard of it before. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    "Monday/Friday" guns, cars, appliances, whatever is an old term based on the idea of a five-day-work week and production workers being hungover on Monday and in a rush to make quota/ get out the door on Friday.
    Yep ...You don't want to buy anything made on a Monday or a Friday....
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    yep... I had a "Friday Ford" once. An old saying that still has merit.

Yeah that's what I've always heard. Nothing sucks more than getting stuck with one of those.

Exactly. Here's an example:

Back of the slide was ground 2mm too much so it doesn't come close to lining up with the back of the frame.

This is the same gun after being repaired on Tuesday.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

WC145 - Exactly, my new Ruger GP100 3 inch need some minor adjustments made to the front of the cylinder craine assembly area (stoning it down to fit properly and to the inside where the ejector rod contacts by the crane latch on the inside, it had to be stoned down also and adjustments made.

It would still close, but it was just catching slightly, it didn't effect it's firing at all, but definitely affected it's closing of the cylinder just by a hair.

I probably could have sent it back to the Manufacturer and all that crap that goes with it, but for some minor adjustment and $50.00, I probably saved myself 30-60 days without it and bigger headaches.
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    I had a buddy of mine tell me one time back in the eighty's that a friend of his , who worked at one of the big three, that just for fun/boredom, sometimes they would, while assembling the automobiles, they would tie a piece of wire inside the doorframe(inside the door), and on that piece of wire attatch a few heavy washers. Owner drives car, hears noise, goes to dealership, who in turn tells owner "we can't find any thing".
    Just one of the many things I find hard to believe, but its PROBABLY true.

Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.
    John Wayne
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I had a buddy of mine tell me one time back in the eighty's that a friend of his , who worked at one of the big three, that just for fun/boredom, sometimes they would, while assembling the automobiles, they would tie a piece of wire inside the doorframe(inside the door), and on that piece of wire attatch a few heavy washers. Owner drives car, hears noise, goes to dealership, who in turn tells owner "we can't find any thing".
    Just one of the many things I find hard to believe, but its PROBABLY true.
    Don't know about washers, but I found a soda bottle wired up that way in a friends new car back in the early '70s.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I wouldn't think that employees of gun manufacturers would be as maliscious as manufacturers of cars and other products, but I suppose it could happen. Several years ago I bought a used 1972 50 horse Evinrude outboard motor with somewhat low hours on it from an older gentleman. During the many hours of cleaning it up and reconditioning, I discovered a "foreign" screw (didn't fit anything near that part of the motor) in the reed chamber. Under just the right (or wrong) conditions that screw could have made it's way through a reed and ended up inside the combustion chamber. Fortunately it didn't, but little more than a month later a buddy had his engine (a Johnson 65 horse...also an OMC product) lock up, Turned out the mechanic found the remains of a screw in one of the cylinders. Then, we called all our other buddies to bring their boats over for inspection. In one we found a screw, in another we found a wad of steel wool partially still hanging onto a reed that was forced to be partly opened (explained his long history of poor idle speed), and another some other typr of foreigh object. All of these engines were 1972-1973 vintage, and all from the OMC plant.

I'm sure there's a major difference between sabatoge and Monday/Friday products, but they are all totally unnecessary.

surv

Links