Just a passing thought on my fellow armed citizens

This is a discussion on Just a passing thought on my fellow armed citizens within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tonight I watched an episode of 'Gangland'. It covered the typical gangsta lifestyle of thugs-of-opportunity, walking around with pistols shoved in their pants and shooting ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just a passing thought on my fellow armed citizens

VIP Member

Just a passing thought on my fellow armed citizens

Tonight I watched an episode of 'Gangland'. It covered the typical gangsta lifestyle of thugs-of-opportunity, walking around with pistols shoved in their pants and shooting sideways in the spray-and-pray method. They say that they pride themselves in their ruthlessness - their willingness to kill at the drop of a hat.

I wonder how they would feel if they knew that there is a breed of what they likely view as potential victims, who legally carry, work tirelessly on concealment, agonize over ballistics and carry weapon reliability, pay big bucks to be trained by true professionals, are often former war heroes, law enforcement officers, who constantly hone their craft so that should one of these violent thugs attempt to gamble with their life or their loved ones, would not hesitate for a nanosecond to take the life of said thug in defensive reaction. My money is on the sober citizen who has trained for this moment.

I'm not making light of these dirtbags. As Bark'n has pointed out in a previous thread, any moron can get lucky and kill one of the best. The bad guys have a distinct advantage in being the aggressor. I'm just thinking that some of these goblins would find a different line of work if they knew the gamble that they were taking by preying on what they think are soft targets. In a time that I'm disappointed and concerned about what's happening to my country - at the same time, I'm proud to be among a growing breed of armed American citizens, who aren't afraid to take responsibility for their own well-being.

2. Remove Ads

Excellent point. Some people don't understand anything except force, and those people are the ones we must be ready to confront if we get caught in the wrong place/wrong time.

They are not very brave or ruthless by themselves. I work among them every day and have at times went toe to toe with them. They always tell me things would be different on the street. I Say yeah , your right, on the street you would be dead. I always let them know one of these days they will attempt to break into the wrong house, or mess with the wrong victim and get taken out. They are very stupid intellectually, or otherwise. I love talking in front of them about everyday citizens packing heat, and how a legally armed old lady could take them out. I guess in short, I hate crime and those who prey on the innocent. I told this one punk I took to trial last week for beating up a woman during a purse snatching, that if she had been related to me, I would hope they let him go. He said why? I said because I would have been waiting. Yeah, I love reminding them of the increasing armed citizen factor.

I don't think any of them care that some of us are armed. I have watched every single episode of Gangland and none of them are afraid of LEO's so why should they be scared of me?

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    I don't think any of them care that some of us are armed. I have watched every single episode of Gangland and none of them are afraid of LEO's so why should they be scared of me?
    Because the po-po have to use minimal force and make every attempt to "bring them in alive"......we do not!!

A few years ago I read some academic studies that showed the average criminal is far more fearful of encountering an armed citizen (specifically in the house) than the police. Also, they reported avoiding committing a crime against someone they thought might be armed.

They don't care. It's amazing how many go to prison for a mandatory life term for 1st degree murder under 21 years old.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

They do care, but only after they are caught. Thing is, they don't reason like we do.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    They do care, but only after they are caught. Thing is, they don't reason like we do.
    That's the REAL problem, add in immaturity and drugs and you have a killing animal.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Armed citizens have the element of surprise.

John Stossel did a report awhile back, it might have been on 60 minutes, anyway his report was on the trend of states passing right to carry laws and armed citizens.

He interviewed some prison inmates about their perspective between a cop or an armed citizen. They feared the armed citizen more, because they didn't know who was armed or what they're capable of. They kinda know the rules that LEO have to play by, it's a little different for us.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I watched Gangland the other evening 'cause they were having a show on Trenton, NJ.........these gangs require there members "Do Work" as was explained in the show.......that means kill somebody...they don't care who, when or where. It's just a showing of loyalty to the group.

Can't understand why LE doesn't really crack down hard on these gangs....they could do it 24/7, 365 the way it's going and get them outta here.

VIP Member
    LOL LE does their best. But god knows you do not want to racially profile a gang member, or interfere with their after school drug trade.
    They have gang task forces that concentrate on the gangs and hit them hard but many are juveniles which means basically you cant do anything to them or the adult gang members hire juveniles to do the dirty work so again cant do anything to them.
    Even though you know they are dirty, selling drugs, carrying weapons you still have to follow the rules of criminal procedure to stop, talk, search arrest and so on or it all just gets thrown out of court and the officer and/or department getting sued.
    If you want to see some more of what we are up against try this link I found on another site. We have got to know what to do and how to do it or guys like this will eat us alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po3Cl8uCHvs
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I think we've found a theme for a new reality show!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Bingo.

Citizens who are allowed 'by law' to carry or keep arms in their home make up just over 2% of the population, as per the last time I'd looked into this ~ 1.5 yrs. ago.
    This was counting the entire population (!) of those states like AK that do not require a state issue permit/license.

The vast majority of people with a license/permit to carry do not actually carry everyday everywhere at all times when in public spaces, like an on duty police.
    Further very many police as off-duty do not choose to do this either...To such a large degree that this is an item of discussion among that industry to encourage more to do so (!).

Criminals have little to be concerned about to this end.
    By odds alone they as criminals in the act of committing a criminal act have better odds of being run over in the street by a cop car or struck dead by lightening.

Yes there are pockets here and there within the US where select specific communities have higher than average carry or homeowner possession figures...But the average is very low and doesn't take much to beat.

Criminals have very little to fear to that end.
    The odds are simply to their favor.

All the rest about training and other whatnottery is moot.
    Especially so in that criminals have the strong and distinct advantage of prescience.
    They know exactly what will occur, where, when and to what degree.
    While we citizens, and police too, haven't the first clue and can only _hope_ to react AND be allowed space, time and ability to support a reaction that gives us at least a 50% chance to just survive the interaction...never mind succeed.

See John Boyd's 'OODA Loop' and/or the reporting on same as by the FBI toward law enforcement officers.
    Info that has been out there and well known for years and decades...By criminals.

Surveillance Video Captured Of A Violent Robbery In Delaware - cbs3.com

Criminals fear nothing but fellow criminals because big picture they have little reason to worry about possibly armed civilians, even now.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    That's kind-of my point. They have no idea how much in fear of you, that they should be. And they'll only find out once it's too late.

If they only knew...

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I think we've found a theme for a new reality show!
    Beat me to it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links