Walther SP22 M3 Range report.

This is a discussion on Walther SP22 M3 Range report. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I finally got a little time to get out and shoot the latest addition to my steadily growing collection of .22's on Saturday. I ...

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar

Well I finally got a little time to get out and shoot the latest addition to my steadily growing collection of .22's on Saturday. I took out my Walther SP22 M3 and set up at my local gravel pit. I set up a 50 ft target and a 100 ft target. I was using the Walther Nano Point reflex sight and the little pistol was simply amazing. I had a large coffee to drink on the way so my jitters were slightly amplified but the 50ft groups were outstanding! The 100ft groups opened up a little more but still very respectable for a first outing. I expect this pistol to shoot as well as any premium target pistol at the range. I shoot a Ruger, Beretta, and a Hi-Standard and this little space-age wonder ranks up there with the best of them. I LOVE the two-stage trigger and the fullness of the grip is an almost perfect interface for my hand.

I shot about 150 rounds before she started to get dirty and I had to revert to doing drills with the PPS. My only gripe was that the battery in my NanoPoint died and I had to turn it off, then on again to get a few of the last shots off. other than that this pistol has really got my attention. My provisional rating for this pistol is 8.95 out of 10.

Siafu,

I hope you have better luck with your SP22 than I did.

I got a SP22 M2 about a year and a half ago because it was the only .22 I could find at the time with a trigger similar to what I carried at the time (M&P .40). Around the 3,000 round mark, the recoil/slide buffer (the small plastic plate that is attached to the base of the frame, around the guide rod) broke. I sent it back to Smith under warranty. They replaced the buffer and recoil spring and sent the gun back to me. The first range trip after I got it back, the gun jammed after about 200 rounds. The cocking serrations were forward, but not all the way , and would not move. After removing the dust cover, I saw why. The retaining pin for the firing pin had broken, allowing the firing pin to fall out of the slide. After the recoil of the previous round, the firing stayed toward the rear as the slide moved forward. Again, I sent it back to Smith; they fixed it and returned it. First range trip after getting it back, it failed a third time. After only 120 rounds, the buffer broke again. This time, I took it back to the store I purchased it from to see if they had any ideas. The owner called his Smith Rep. and sent the gun back for me. After about a month of waiting (and my store working up the food chain at Smith), they got to one of the VP's who approved replacing the gun. They told me that they were going to upgrade me to the M3 for my trouble. A month and a half later, the new SP22 M3 arrived at the store, with a clean, fresh warranty for me to test out!

I started to put the M3 through it's paces. First range trip out, I ran 100 rounds through it, and stripped it down for an inspection. The recoil buffer was already deformed on each side where the slide contacted it. It failed after 900 rounds. Again, the recoil buffer broke. So...three buffers. One took 3000 rounds. One took about 320 rounds. The third, 900 rounds. I felt the firing pin retaining pin was an atypical failure, while the recoil buffer was an unstable wear part. We looked into ordering a box of the buffers - I thought I could replace it myself. I went home from the gun store mollified. I stripped the gun down as far as I was comfortable to see how the buffer comes out. I found it was beyond my skill to replace it. It looks like after taking it out of the plastic grip, removing the barrel and trigger transfer bar, you'd have to remove a plate from the side of the inner metal frame (and possibly the trigger assembly) to get at the recoil buffer. So, I went back to the store I told them I wouldn't be able to replace the part myself, and didn't want to have to pay a gunsmith every couple of months to replace the part (I run a brick of ammo every other weekend). Again, my store contacted Smith for me to see what we could do. After another month of deliberation, they decided to replace the SP22 with a 5" P22. It took six weeks to arrive. Since I carry a Sig now, the DA/SA P22 is a good training analogue - though the trigger isn't as nice. I've got 2,000 rounds through the P22 without any failures yet. I'm hopeful that it will be tough enough to stand up to what I'm going to put it through.

As I was running 500-550 rounds through it each range trip, I would run a bore snake through every 100 rounds. It never overheated, and never jammed due to the fouling.

I'm hesitant writing this, as I really hate to rain on the parade of a new gun, but I want you to know what I put the SP22 through, and how it held up.

I think that for long life, the buffer should be made from a different material.

Other than the broken parts, but gun ran flawlessly. It was accurate and never jammed. I could rapid fire it, putting 10 rounds into the target in less than three seconds. It even ran subsonic ammo without a failure. I really wanted to like the gun, but it seemed to be a flawed design. Either that, or it was built with a very light recreational shooter in mind.

So, they stood behind the SP22, but rather slowly.

I wish you luck with it!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Siafu,

I hope you have better luck with your SP22 than I did.

I got a SP22 M2 about a year and a half ago because it was the only .22 I could find at the time with a trigger similar to what I carried at the time (M&P .40). Around the 3,000 round mark, the recoil/slide buffer (the small plastic plate that is attached to the base of the frame, around the guide rod) broke. I sent it back to Smith under warranty. They replaced the buffer and recoil spring and sent the gun back to me. The first range trip after I got it back, the gun jammed after about 200 rounds. The cocking serrations were forward, but not all the way , and would not move. After removing the dust cover, I saw why. The retaining pin for the firing pin had broken, allowing the firing pin to fall out of the slide. After the recoil of the previous round, the firing stayed toward the rear as the slide moved forward. Again, I sent it back to Smith; they fixed it and returned it. First range trip after getting it back, it failed a third time. After only 120 rounds, the buffer broke again. This time, I took it back to the store I purchased it from to see if they had any ideas. The owner called his Smith Rep. and sent the gun back for me. After about a month of waiting (and my store working up the food chain at Smith), they got to one of the VP's who approved replacing the gun. They told me that they were going to upgrade me to the M3 for my trouble. A month and a half later, the new SP22 M3 arrived at the store, with a clean, fresh warranty for me to test out!

I started to put the M3 through it's paces. First range trip out, I ran 100 rounds through it, and stripped it down for an inspection. The recoil buffer was already deformed on each side where the slide contacted it. It failed after 900 rounds. Again, the recoil buffer broke. So...three buffers. One took 3000 rounds. One took about 320 rounds. The third, 900 rounds. I felt the firing pin retaining pin was an atypical failure, while the recoil buffer was an unstable wear part. We looked into ordering a box of the buffers - I thought I could replace it myself. I went home from the gun store mollified. I stripped the gun down as far as I was comfortable to see how the buffer comes out. I found it was beyond my skill to replace it. It looks like after taking it out of the plastic grip, removing the barrel and trigger transfer bar, you'd have to remove a plate from the side of the inner metal frame (and possibly the trigger assembly) to get at the recoil buffer. So, I went back to the store I told them I wouldn't be able to replace the part myself, and didn't want to have to pay a gunsmith every couple of months to replace the part (I run a brick of ammo every other weekend). Again, my store contacted Smith for me to see what we could do. After another month of deliberation, they decided to replace the SP22 with a 5" P22. It took six weeks to arrive. Since I carry a Sig now, the DA/SA P22 is a good training analogue - though the trigger isn't as nice. I've got 2,000 rounds through the P22 without any failures yet. I'm hopeful that it will be tough enough to stand up to what I'm going to put it through.

As I was running 500-550 rounds through it each range trip, I would run a bore snake through every 100 rounds. It never overheated, and never jammed due to the fouling.

I'm hesitant writing this, as I really hate to rain on the parade of a new gun, but I want you to know what I put the SP22 through, and how it held up.

I think that for long life, the buffer should be made from a different material.

Other than the broken parts, but gun ran flawlessly. It was accurate and never jammed. I could rapid fire it, putting 10 rounds into the target in less than three seconds. It even ran subsonic ammo without a failure. I really wanted to like the gun, but it seemed to be a flawed design. Either that, or it was built with a very light recreational shooter in mind.

So, they stood behind the SP22, but rather slowly.

I wish you luck with it!
    Thanks for you story Exodus. If I have any problems I will certainly seek replacement from S&W. I believe the metal that the firing pin carrier is made out of is called Zamak and may be prone to cracking when fed a steady diet of HV ammo. I have had no problems but I will monitor closely and stay on top of them should they occur. Other than that, I am very pleased with the initial performance of this pistol. She shoots real straight and aside from looking a little odd it strips down pretty easily.

I was really impressed with the SP22. Fit my hand well, was very accurate and the day I ran the subsonic ammo without a failure, I fell a little more in love. It just couldn't stand up to my shooting habits. In hindsight, I probably should have kept it and tried to fix it. After all the time and BS answers from Smith ("It's on the way!") I was fed up with it and accepted the P22. I think someone with some crafting skills could make a replacement buffer out of rubber that wouldn't fail. After I got out of it, I was thinking that a dense rubber like tire rubber could be used. All you'd have to do is punch a clean hole though it, thread it over the guide rod and tack it to frame with some adhesive.

At any rate, enjoy the new pistol!
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Links