Husband kills himself / wife with same bullet

This is a discussion on Husband kills himself / wife with same bullet within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't even know what to say about one like this .............. Husband Kills Himself, Same Bullet Kills Wife Wichita police say 70 year-old Gene ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husband kills himself / wife with same bullet

Husband kills himself / wife with same bullet

I don't even know what to say about one like this ..............

Husband Kills Himself, Same Bullet Kills Wife

Wichita police say 70 year-old Gene Whitmore shot himself in the head. The bullet exited and hit his wife in the head, killing her.

Reporter: Deb Farris
    Email Address: dfarris@kake.com

May 10, 2010

Wichita police say 70 year-old Gene Whitmore shot himself in the head. The bullet exited and hit his wife Betty in the head, killing her.

It happened Sunday morning around 4 o'clock in the 3400 block of South Everett. Police say Gene Whitmore had been depressed since losing his job a year ago. He was fully dressed, lying in the bed beside his sleeping wife, when he shot himself.

Police say Betty Whitmore's daughter, her daughter's 11 year-old son, and her two young nieces were home at the time, but did not hear the gunshot. The daughter went to check on her mother and stepfather about one o'clock Sunday afternoon and discovered the bodies.

Lt. Ken Landwehr said he has never seen anything like this before.

Autopsy results are still pending.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Now thats freaky. I wonder what type of gun was used.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Just a couple observations hit me as I read this that strike me as unusual.

1) He was depressed about losing his job a year ago....he was 70. Retire and enjoy it.

2) 4 am in the morning and the daughter, grandson, and two neices were home and they didn't hear the gunshot...at 4 am???

3) These 4 other people were home at the time and didn't go check on grandmaw and step-grandpaw until 1:00 pm in the afternoon? I don't know anyone over the age of 60 who sleeps past 6:00 am.

I'm not saying there's anything out of order here, but these observations just strike me as odd. Is it just me? Does anyone else think these things are strange?
    Last edited by BugDude; May 10th, 2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: correction
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

This is very very sad!!!!
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

What a stupid, horrible, cowardly man. I could care less if someone wants to off themselves, but to take his wife out with him? And to do it while his daughter and grandson are there?

I feel sorry for his wife, but mostly I feel sorry for his daughter. That's an image she'll never forget. The sight of her mother and father laying there in their bed, with bullet holes in their head.

Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

Just sad....
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Just a couple observations hit me as I read this that strike me as unusual.

1) He was depressed about losing his job a year ago....he was 70. Retire and enjoy it.

Not all jobs have a pension plan

2) 4 am in the morning and the daughter, grandson, and two neices were home and they didn't hear the gunshot...at 4 am???

Not unreasonable if staying in another part of the house and in a deep sleep. A single gunshot followed by silence is not going to wake everyone!

3) These 4 other people were home at the time and didn't go check on grandmaw and step-grandpaw until 1:00 pm in the afternoon? I don't know anyone over the age of 60 who sleeps past 6:00 am.

Possible for the daughter to sleep until noon or later on a Sunday.

I'm not saying there's anything out of order here, but these observations just strike me as odd. Is it just me? Does anyone else think these things are strange?
    My responses are in Bold within the quote.

I'm just sayin'
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Terrible. Suicide is not the answer, especially when you screw it up and take someone with you!

the right way to do it

That's a sad story... have to wonder what was going on in the old guy's mind. Maybe there was some life insurance which he hoped would make life easier for his widow (and yes, a lot of life insurance policies will pay off in case of suicide after the policy has been in place for a few years). Hurting his wife in any was something he never would have wanted to happen.

A friend is a cop in a small town in CT. He took a "welfare check" call a few years back, and found a neatly-attired, retired gentleman dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound in the man's garage. The man was in his late 70's, a veteran, and had become widowered within the past few months.

What distinguished this gent was that he left his house perfectly clean, neat and tidy. There was no suicide note. The cops found two empty shell cases in the garage; the man test-fired the gun to make sure it worked before using it on himself. Then he laid himself down on some old carpet (apparently to avoid making a mess) and pulled the trigger on the little .32. His plan worked perfectly. You might disagree with what he did, but certainly not with the way he did it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Lead Moderator
    I don't know anyone over the age of 60 who sleeps past 6:00 am.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by peckman28 View Post
    Terrible. Suicide is not the answer, especially when you screw it up and take someone with you!
    Clinicians will tell you...albeit for the brief time they load the gun and pull the trigger.....a suicide victim is "not of a sane disposition...."
    My point in mentioning this is simply to remind those who would instantly label someone who commits suicide as "stupid" or "cowardly"...they are mentally ILL!!
    Do we call someone with autism or Down's Syndrome "stupid" ??

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    My responses are in Bold within the quote.

I'm just sayin'
    I agree, it is all possible and reasonable...those questions just popped in my head as I read it and it just seemed like several strange factors in one incident.

In any event, strange factors or not, it is sad. Depression can be a completely debilitating illness. Too bad he didn't seek help or have someone recognize his issues and assist him in getting medical attention.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

AzB
    Not working really affects some people's happiness. We forced my dad to retire at 70. So he picked up a new hobby... locksmithing. At first he just tinkered around and helped out neighbors and did the church's locks... next thing you know, he's started a new business. It seems that there was a niche for someone who was patient, didn't mind a challenge, and actually did what they said when they said. He was actually considering hiring people to help him.

We made him retire again at 84. Now he's miserable. We put him in charge of the food bank at church, and he seems to enjoy that. I'm sure he'll be running the state food bank soon.

I don't understand it either, but some people are wired that way. If the old codger in the op was like that, he could've taken being fired very hard.

It's a very sad and odd situation.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

if you don't use your brain, you lose it. I could understand not wanting to sit around until you die or start forgetting everything.

Taking one's own life in general I believe is one of the most selfish things that someone can do. But to do so with your wife sleeping next to you? With your kids in the house?
    ...wow
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links