The one you keep

This is a discussion on The one you keep within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by mamakennedy When I was a little kid my family had nothing, so my dad took his only 2 handguns, Arminius .357 & ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The one you keep

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mamakennedy View Post
    When I was a little kid my family had nothing, so my dad took his only 2 handguns, Arminius .357 & a S&W 28-2 4inch, to a pawn shop in East LA. We got money to make it thru the next week till payday, but my dad wasn't able to get his handguns back. When he went to get them out of pawn he found out that the OR DL he pawned them under was not acceptable, and that he had to have a CA DL in order to get them. We had only been in CA for a few week at that point, so he hadn't gotten the time to take care of things at the DMV. When he found out he needed at CA DL he headed right down and got one, but when he came back to the pawn shop the guy had sold them.

Once I turned 18 I started looking for replacements, but it took time before I could get the money together and find some that were in similar condition to what his were. I found one several years ago, and shortly before my dad passed I was able to find the second and return them to their home. It was a good thing.
    Great story. Good for you. I'm sure that made your Dad's day.
    SCGunLover1

2. Remove Ads

There are acouple I can't get rid of one being a .22 revolver probably the same model OLDVET was talking about! It was passed down from my grandpa to my mom to me. It shoots terrible.
    OLDVET :An el cheapo POS .22 cowboy revolver that wouldn't put 3 of 6 shots in a paper plate at ten yards. Maybe the wobbly barrel had something to do with that?
    The second being my 30.06 that was my father-in-laws before he died.
    Third would be my Rem. 870 it was my first gun purchase and the rabbits and doves fear it.

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Great thread. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of family keepers. Out of my own pocket and in my own time, I've picked up 2 that must stay. Dan Wesson 357 w/4 barrels. Colt 1991A1 that hasn't failed to fire in 20 years and it was used when I bought it.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Glockman way to hard of a question! Give me 20-30 years or less and I'll let you know. Serious though my 870 Thundergun, and my .45 Kimber or Glock, or M629 .44 Mag, my M12 Winchester 12 GA, see what I
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Sorry did it again, new key board. Anyway this ? comes to mind to me at times such as now I can't part with any of my beloved shooters.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

scgunlover1,
    I tried to respond to your PM but your inbox is full.
    CinSC

VIP Member
    I have a couple Colt Revovlers (python and det. spcl.) that belonged to my Dad and Uncle I will never part with, as well as a S&W mod 66-1 that belonged to my Dad, it's one of my favorites, and my very first pistol I bought about 20 years ago, a Walther PP .32 ACP.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    After thinking about it, there are only a couple of rifles in my safe I would give up, and maybe a couple of pistols. The rest stay.

Hopefully the old man will give me his Savage 99 one day, but my brothers will have something to say about that!

Ive had many and like you im the same. ive bought,sold,traded many. Ive not found 1 yet(but a heirloom type .22 revolver) that I thought I had to keep...the only guns I wont buy anymore are Glocks..they are a waste to me the grips are just too bad that I dont like them..they are the only gun I wont own because of that. I DO hope someday that I run across that magical I cant get rid of this gun..but so far its eluded me :) .

I've got three that fit into that category for sure:
    1. My Radom P35 ViS - My first gun and a family heirloom. My Stepdad's father brought it back from WWII.
    2. My Springfield Armory XD 9mm Service - My second gun, and the first I purchased for myself. Fit me perfectly then, and still does. Over 13,000 rounds through it and it still shoots like a champ.
    3. My Sig Sauer P220 R Carry SAO - This gun is unique in that it was built by the custom shop as a part of a military contract and sold through a dealer as a normal P220 Carry. It has a perfect trigger and fits my hand like a glove.

I've got others that are real close to me, and the Glock 36 is close to being a permanent keeper.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

I have one that I will not sell. The first gun I ever bought. It is a Colt Trooper MKIII with a six inch barrel. Not the most useful combination these days, but my first and I will not part with it.
    Craig S. Flaherty
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

Out of the 44 guns I own, only 4 qualify as “never sell” and they’re family heirlooms:

AH Fox 20Ga SxS that has been in my family for 3, soon to be 4 generations.
    Parker 16Ga SxS same as the above
    1st generation Colt SAA in .45 Colt made just after WWI, again 3 generations
    1923 “Commercial” P-08 Luger in 7.65 Luger that’s also been passed on 3 times.

Everything else I’ve acquired and although some are pretty valuable, they’re all replaceable.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    IF I brought a gun brand new. I won't sale it.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

I have my dear dead dad's 50-year-old ? 8-shot H&R .22 caliber revolver, blue and still in great shape, an accurate long-barreled fun gun. I have that old black-steel military 1911 Colt .45 that I bought about 40 years ago, despite it costing me $150! They even wanted $100 for those damned old surplus M-1 guns! My Ruger Mini-14 cost about $275 and that made me ***** and holler!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links