Buying a gun from a friend

This is a discussion on Buying a gun from a friend within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Alright, I was wondering what would be the best way to buy a gun from a friend. That was the question I was asked yesterday. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alright, I was wondering what would be the best way to buy a gun from a friend. That was the question I was asked yesterday. So I want to make sure I gave him the right answer. I told him to go to his local gun shop and do a transfer. Is this correct?

Nothing wrong with doing that but depending on your state laws, it may not be necessary
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

I couldnt answer for VA but here in CO you pay your buddy the money and leave with a new gun in hand. Nothing more than that.

A friend? I've bought many guns from friends in Alabama. Hand them the money take the gun home.
    For a man interested only in passin' through, he suddenly found himself entangled in a deadly struggle….

ad utrumque paratus

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I think a bill of sale would be a good idea. That way if the gun ever ends up somewhere bad, you can prove when you no longer owned it.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    I think a bill of sale would be a good idea. That way if the gun ever ends up somewhere bad, you can prove when you no longer owned it.
    Absolutely!

Craig
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    If someone wants to do this, I would not knock them for it. But that knife cuts both ways. If you manage to accumulate a bunch of Bills would someone want to make you out to be an illegal dealer. Just askin.

Personally, in NC, my only duty is to make sure they can legally own the firearm. That is usually done with a CCP or Pistol Purchase Permit. Some folks require them on long guns to act as a background check. We are not required to keep or make any paperwork. My last sale was in the parking lot of a gun show, DL and CCP matched. Money changed hands. Money went to fund the XD for my wife.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

From the VA State Police website:

What are the laws concerning the private sale of a handgun?
    To privately sell a firearm, it is recommended that you safeguard information pertaining to the transaction such as the date the firearm was sold, the complete name and address of the buyer, and the make, model, and serial number of the firearm. The seller and buyer of a handgun must be a resident of the state in which the transfer occurs. Additionally, Virginia’s handgun purchase limitation applies in private transactions. Refer to Virginia State Police - Multiple Handgun Purchase for additional information on multiple handgun purchases. Should the firearm ever be located at a crime scene, trace of the firearm will determine the licensed dealer who last sold the firearm and will identify the last buyer of the firearm. To have your name removed from this process, you may consider placing your firearm on consignment with a licensed dealer. This will also ensure that the firearm is transferred only to a lawfully eligible individual.

Virginia State Police - Firearms/Concealed Weapons

Depends on state law, in Florida as long as certian criteria is met, no problem between individuals. Check your state laws accordingly.
    "I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Alf87 View Post
    I couldnt answer for VA but here in CO you pay your buddy the money and leave with a new gun in hand. Nothing more than that.
    yep....VA does not require private sellers to go through an FFL....places like CA do...

Hand your friend the cash....he gives you the gun. It really is that simple.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Make out a bill of sale if you have concerns. Give him a copy and keep one yourself. No need to pay a store for services not needed.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Here in AZ you give your friend a bunch of wallet-sized pictures of dead presidents. He then gives you the gun. End of transaction.

YMMV, IANAL and any other acronyms that apply.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by jplate3 View Post
    From the VA State Police website:

What are the laws concerning the private sale of a handgun?
    To privately sell a firearm, it is recommended that you safeguard information pertaining to the transaction such as the date the firearm was sold, the complete name and address of the buyer, and the make, model, and serial number of the firearm. The seller and buyer of a handgun must be a resident of the state in which the transfer occurs. Additionally, Virginia’s handgun purchase limitation applies in private transactions. Refer to Virginia State Police - Multiple Handgun Purchase for additional information on multiple handgun purchases. Should the firearm ever be located at a crime scene, trace of the firearm will determine the licensed dealer who last sold the firearm and will identify the last buyer of the firearm. To have your name removed from this process, you may consider placing your firearm on consignment with a licensed dealer. This will also ensure that the firearm is transferred only to a lawfully eligible individual.

Virginia State Police - Firearms/Concealed Weapons
    This is a suggestion by the VASP...however, there is no corresponding VA code that requires using a consignment process...

However, according to LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308.2:2
    2. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to:

h. A person who holds a valid Virginia permit to carry a concealed handgun;

i. A person who purchases a handgun in a private sale. For purposes of this subdivision, a private sale means purchase from a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection of curios or relics as herein defined, or who sells all or part of such collection of curios and relics
    Give your friend the $$$....he will give you
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

First thing is to comply with Fed & local reg's.
    SEMPER FI
    Life member: DAV
    Life member: USMC
    Life member: MOPH
    Member: NRA
    Life member: VVA

In TX I believe the only thing is you cannot sell a firearm to a KNOWN felon, other that, it's no big deal. A Bill of Sale isn't a bad idea to CYA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links