Forgot to load CCW!!

This is a discussion on Forgot to load CCW!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok, I just got home from work and when I went to put pistol away for the evening I realized,"DUH!" I forgot to LOAD my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forgot to load CCW!!

Forgot to load CCW!!

Ok, I just got home from work and when I went to put pistol away for the evening I realized,"DUH!" I forgot to LOAD my gun this morn. Man I feel stupid. I've been carrying a empty gun all day.
    I was in a bit of a hurry because I had an early meeting and somehow forgot to load up.
    Please tell me I'm not the only person here that has done the same thing....PLEASE!

2. Remove Ads

ink
    you couldnt notice a difference immediately in the weight of your unloaded firearm when you first grabbed it? strange.

what kind of handgun is it?

Well i carry a heavy gun anyway, SP101 357mag.
    I cant always tell unloaded from loaded. Plus I was half asleep

The other day i went to unload my gun to set it on the table before working out so the kids wouldn't get a hold of a loaded gun while i was exercising and found out i didn't have one in the chamber. I always carry chambered and would have sworn it was ready to fire. I was suprised to not have a round eject when i racked the slide. I would notice instantly if it was totally empty though.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

I'm making excuses but it's a lot harder to tell from loaded vs unloaded in a pistol like mine that only holds 5 rounds as opposed to a pistol that holds 7+
    My 9mm holds 12+ and I can tell instantly with that one.

Why do you even unload it?
    Nothing says more about how you feel, than a lead flower.

Like Hardcorp.........Why is it unloaded and reloaded daily?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcorp View Post
    My thought also!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Check your gun every time you pick it up. Take your time. When you hurry you make mistakes. If you don't have the time, MAKE the time. You aren't throwing on your watch, or tossing your phone in your pocket. Mistakes happen, but even mistakes have value if you learn from them.

Good luck!
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

I have a Taurus 605 that is about the same size as the SP101 357mag...5 round 357mag. I can see why, if you were to go by feel, 5 rounds is not really that much.
    Just out of habit in the morning and night I open the cylinder to double check that it is loaded and I don't have any dust bunnies in there. The ONLY time I unload my revolver is for it's once a week wipe down and it's once a month trip to the range.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

My carry pistol is always loaded unless i am cleaning it or shooting it. During the day i habitually will make sure it is loaded and has one in the chamber whenever i pick it up or take it off. and always before i go to sleep. But i also only have one carry pistol. i guess it could get confusing if i switched it occasionaly.
    Glock 19, Trijicon Night Sights, Hogue Slip on Grip & 124gr Gold-Dots
    With an Adam's Holster Texas IWB Holster (Cowhide w/ Ostrich Trim)

I unload in while I'm at home due to 3 kids. YES I have gun cabinet but I'd rather be safe than sorry. My home defense in a shot gun anyway for most part. I know some of you disagree but until the kids get bigger this is how I have to store pistols. Kids are less likely to get shotgun due to it's size.

Subcool - you're the only one!

I reality, you learned a lesson. Remember that forever.

That is why there are protocols you follow with a firearms: safety rules, for example. Keep it simple.

You always check your gun when you pick it up - always.

I can't begin to comprehend why'd unload your gun daily? Every time you put your gun on, holstered or not, you need to check it's ready to go and loaded.

No harm done, a teaching moment. Learn from it.

Stay safe.

------

I read your comment on the kids. I got four and gun-proofed them all. There are places at home you can store you gun your kids can't reach. I'd not trust the kids would not get to your shotgun, though.

But, better be careful. Now you need to adjust to that and add a gun check for every morning to your daily tasks.

...And this is the 1st time I have ever forgot to load it when I left the house. This is why I'm posting. I can't believe I did it. Then go all day not even thinking about it.
    Won't happen again thats for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by subcool20 View Post
    Ok, I just got home from work and when I went to put pistol away for the evening I realized,"DUH!" I forgot to LOAD my gun this morn. Man I feel stupid. I've been carrying a empty gun all day.
    I was in a bit of a hurry because I had an early meeting and somehow forgot to load up.
    Please tell me I'm not the only person here that has done the same thing....PLEASE!
    Uh Oh! You know...I've walked out to the car in the morning out of the house without my pistol, but I have never had an unloaded pistol here or there. Of course I went back in and got my pistol. I'll never be carrying an unloaded gun if I'm carrying one at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links