Went to the range again.

This is a discussion on Went to the range again. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Tried to slow myself down, but it's easy to lose control and just wanna blast away cause it's so darn fun About 7 yards with ...

Thread: Went to the range again.

Went to the range again.

Tried to slow myself down, but it's easy to lose control and just wanna blast away cause it's so darn fun

About 7 yards with a Sig P225...

And a Berretta 92...

I also shot a twelve gauge for the first time. Man, was that fun! The target was about 20 yards away.

Those first two targets aren't man-sized, even though their man-shaped. I don't know what the purpose of those are, except maybe the range was actually an MI6 training facility and they were for training 00 agents to kill villains' midget sidekicks, lol.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    Those first two targets aren't man-sized, even though their man-shaped. I don't know what the purpose of those are, except maybe the range was actually an MI6 training facility and they were for training 00 agents to kill villains' midget sidekicks, lol.
    I would say they are for training purposes...... If you can hit center of mass on a man half the size of an actual person at 7 yds then you can certainly hit center of mass on a full size person if need be.

Looks like fun by the way. I've been slacking lately. Its been a while since i have made it to the range.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

VIP Member
    IMHO -- the following is a good drill is to practice/progress to use:

Using a piece of 8 1/2 X 11 paper tapped (vertical portrait style not horizontal landscape style) to the front of a silhouette target and advance through the following steps:

1) At first do not worry about shooting groups any tighter that the 8 1/2 X 11 . Just work at a speed that you get five shot groups that in the 8X11 paper consistently. If missing the 8 1/2 X 11 paper, work on your grip, sight picture, etc. If shooting tighter, speed up.

2) Once you have a good speed working, cut the paper in half and repeat the drill with a 4 1/4 X 5 1/2.

BTW -- why copier size paper? It plus the tape is less dear that fresh targets every few mags, I don't need to keep marking the holes and I get a easy to see/keep record of improvement.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Remember that in real life, you OWN each bullet that comes from your weapon. So each of those misses might mean an innocent bystander gets hit. Try that thought right before you shoot next time. It might slow you down so all of your rounds hit COM, then you can work on speed. Not speed first.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

Using a piece of 8 1/2 X 11 paper tapped (vertical portrait style not horizontal landscape style) to the front of a silhouette target and advance through the following steps:

1) At first do not worry about shooting groups any tighter that the 8 1/2 X 11 . Just work at a speed that you get five shot groups that in the 8X11 paper consistently. If missing the 8 1/2 X 11 paper, work on your grip, sight picture, etc. If shooting tighter, speed up.

2) Once you have a good speed working, cut the paper in half and repeat the drill with a 4 1/4 X 5 1/2.

BTW -- why copier size paper? It plus the tape is less dear that fresh targets every few mags, I don't need to keep marking the holes and I get a easy to see/keep record of improvement.
    Thanks, I'll have to try that next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivers View Post
    Remember that in real life, you OWN each bullet that comes from your weapon. So each of those misses might mean an innocent bystander gets hit. Try that thought right before you shoot next time. It might slow you down so all of your rounds hit COM, then you can work on speed. Not speed first.
    Thanks for the reminder.
    Ron Paul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

This is a very good idea, thanks for posting, I'll have to try this one.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    wouldn't a letter size "cut in half" be 8-1/2 X 5-1/2?

sorry.... just the measurer in me

surv

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mr surveyor View Post
    wouldn't a letter size "cut in half" be 8-1/2 X 5-1/2?

sorry.... just the measurer in me

surv
    Yep!

Good catch.

I skipped that step.

What I work down to is based on the distance.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Try finding a target with something to aim at to begin with. Either marking the target you are shooting with a large dot. Or marking the papers with dots. Just draw a 1-1 1/2" circle. The point is to have something to aim at. If you aim big, at the whole target, you will miss big. Which leads to big open groups. If you aim small, specific point on a target, you will miss small. Which leads to smaller groups. OK, so it's not quite that simple but you get the idea. I like shooting speed too, but you need to be able to keep them all on target.

For an example, this is a target my wife shot at 5 yrd with 9mm G26, G19, and XD sc. She was trying out some guns before we bought one. Notice there is no real X to aim at so I had her aiming at the point where the jacket comes together. You can also use a button, V of the shirt, or crease to aim at. But you are much more accurate when you are trying to hit a spot instead of hitting a target.

Or get a target with a true X to aim at.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

You could always try this target http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10061.pdf

It's what I use and I aim for the red dot. You can print out as many as you want for free and bring them to the range with you. They also have one with a yellow dot if that's easier for you to use. The idea of "aim small, miss small" is correct. If you aim for the red here but miss the red and are still generally on the paper you've scored a good hit. The paper is smaller than COM on an average bad guy. The more you shoot the better you'll get. Make each shot count at first. Shoot slowly and try to hit exactly where you're aiming. After a while you can speed things up and shoot 2 aimed shots as quickly as you can. Remember, aimed shots. You don't want to go wild.

Fun times
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Went to the range again.
    Again!? Boy, now that's the life! I can't wait to get back to the range. It's been too long. Too many hours at work for me. I miss my old schedule and going to the range twice a week. On the other hand, I'm saving money while stockpiling ammo right?
    Well, I have nothing to say on the advice given to you by others at this point, but those with experience do lend lots of good things to ponder. So, I in turn would like to leave this reply with more things worth pondering.
    Your choice of targets. Those full size silhouette targets are just....well, sometimes too much. I mean too much to focus on to begin with, and focus just isn't there for the novice of or the overly excited. You're going to burn way more ammo than you need to (even if it is fun), than if you had something smaller to focus on and get in the ballpark first. IMO...shooting at those full size silhouettes may get you into some bad habits and poor practices. You may end up kidding yourself in that a hit is a hit on a rather large target when you should be focusing on the specific areas you need to for neutralization. In my honest opinion, start with 9" white paper plates for your range sessions. At basic stances, from a static position, pistol at the low ready to start. 10 out of 10 on the paper plate from your specified distance, then move on to centering them in a group anywhere on the paper plate so long as there's still ten holes. Then you'll know where you need to be with your sighting. Then...move out to your max distance for practice, and do the same thing all over again with the paper plates until you get where you want to be accuracy wise. Then......do the paper plates all over again while drawing from your holster.....three shots, then re-holster. Three more shots, then re-holster, etc......... After that, you can try some movement then drawing on the paper plates. Paper plates are cheap...matter of fact, most of my paper plates I take to the range are used...that's right, used. After dinner, my dog licks them clean, and I use the back side of them for range practice. Now that's getting double duty out of paper plates! Once you are where you'd like to be with the paper plates, I think you'll be better able to focus where those paper plates might be on that extremely large silhouette of a bad guy or a standard IDPA practice target, and you'll be better focused. In my opinion of course. Keep shooting, and be safe!

Then......do the paper plates all over again while drawing from your holster.....three shots, then re-holster. Three more shots, then re-holster
    There is not one single range anywhere within a reasonable distance that allows me to draw and fire from a holster unless I'm an LEO. So that option just isn't available and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Again!? Boy, now that's the life! I can't wait to get back to the range. It's been too long. Too many hours at work for me. I miss my old schedule and going to the range twice a week. On the other hand, I'm saving money while stockpiling ammo right?
    Well, I have nothing to say on the advice given to you by others at this point, but those with experience do lend lots of good things to ponder. So, I in turn would like to leave this reply with more things worth pondering.
    Your choice of targets. Those full size silhouette targets are just....well, sometimes too much. I mean too much to focus on to begin with, and focus just isn't there for the novice of or the overly excited. You're going to burn way more ammo than you need to (even if it is fun), than if you had something smaller to focus on and get in the ballpark first. IMO...shooting at those full size silhouettes may get you into some bad habits and poor practices. You may end up kidding yourself in that a hit is a hit on a rather large target when you should be focusing on the specific areas you need to for neutralization. In my honest opinion, start with 9" white paper plates for your range sessions. At basic stances, from a static position, pistol at the low ready to start. 10 out of 10 on the paper plate from your specified distance, then move on to centering them in a group anywhere on the paper plate so long as there's still ten holes. Then you'll know where you need to be with your sighting. Then...move out to your max distance for practice, and do the same thing all over again with the paper plates until you get where you want to be accuracy wise. Then......do the paper plates all over again while drawing from your holster.....three shots, then re-holster. Three more shots, then re-holster, etc......... After that, you can try some movement then drawing on the paper plates. Paper plates are cheap...matter of fact, most of my paper plates I take to the range are used...that's right, used. After dinner, my dog licks them clean, and I use the back side of them for range practice. Now that's getting double duty out of paper plates! Once you are where you'd like to be with the paper plates, I think you'll be better able to focus where those paper plates might be on that extremely large silhouette of a bad guy or a standard IDPA practice target, and you'll be better focused. In my opinion of course. Keep shooting, and be safe!
    I was thinking that I'm practicing in case I need to shoot someone, so I should use targets that represent humans, but what you said makes sense. I'm thinking about just taking a few pieces of paper with an X in the center next time. Cheaper and will force me slow down and focus.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    There is not one single range anywhere within a reasonable distance that allows me to draw and fire from a holster unless I'm an LEO. So that option just isn't available and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    Same here, except during IDPA matches. I'm thinking about joining just to get some realistic practice. I don't really care if I win or not.
    Ron Paul 2012

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
    That is truly sad. My apologies for overlooking the way things are in most places. If I were rich, I'd build a shooting range for DC members only, and I'd put you up overnight and feed you as well if you came here. Nothing wrong with dreaming big eh?

Quote Originally Posted by BRTCP88 View Post
    I was thinking that I'm practicing in case I need to shoot someone, so I should use targets that represent humans, but what you said makes sense. I'm thinking about just taking a few pieces of paper with an X in the center next time. Cheaper and will force me slow down and focus.

Same here, except during IDPA matches. I'm thinking about joining just to get some realistic practice. I don't really care if I win or not.
    Something got lost here, but it will all work out (on the quoted text).

IMO...forget the "X" mark and just try to hit the center of whatever you choose. You see....focus can go the other way as well. You don't want to be disappointed if you don't hit the "X", you want to be happy you hit the piece of paper (several times of course). You see what I'm getting at here? IDPA or USPSA would be good experience given the opportunity. With the right mindset it really improves one's skills as it involves action and reaction. My best to you in everything you do or seek.

Just thought of these. Go here and print some of these targets. YOu are trying to shoot the center of the target, but if your group is off center they will tell you what to work on. They work very well. But they only work if you are shooting for accuracy. For example, I told my wife to aim for the X on a target. She was grouping off the x and I was using the target to tell her what to fix. Then she told me she was aiming off the X and using the problem to correct her point of impact! So the target is only good if you are truly trying to hit the center. Then it will tell you what you can improve on.

Correcting handgun shooting problems Stuff From Hsoi
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Links