What's your 7 yard group?

This is a discussion on What's your 7 yard group? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After a trip to the range today I started to wonder what the "norm" for a 7 yard group is while standing unsupported. I don't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your 7 yard group?

After a trip to the range today I started to wonder what the "norm" for a 7 yard group is while standing unsupported. I don't think I'm satisfied with my group size and want to get an idea of what to shoot for. With my G36 I was able to get 6 out of 7 shots in about a 5" circle (pulled one). I feel like I should be able to do a lot better but IDK. What are your thoughts and your normal group sizes?

Thanks!

VIP Member
    Depends on speed for one thing. With my G36 at 7 yards, I look for everything in 3" group firing singles and double taps. Target shooting - under 2" is my goal.

Depends on the rate of fire and the gun.

Slow shots from my G27 usually yield a 2 to 3 inch group. Fast shots / double taps (more defensive shooting) I try for 4 to 5 inches.

With my LCP or 642, I train for defensive shooting only.. so a 5 to 6 inch group is my goal.

At 7 yards with my S&W 681, I can generally put holes through holes firing single action, and a 3 inch grouping shooting faster in double action.

Clint Smith says he'd be happy if his students could keep all their shots on an 8-inch paper plate at 15 yards... just for reference.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

My G36 will make a clover leaf at seven yards. I primarily use 8 inch paper plates to determine what my range is with any weapon. If I can hit a paper plate 100% of the time at any given distance, I can carry for SD or hunting at that range. For small game a cigarette pack is my guide line. I like to shoot at empty shot gun shells to tune up for small game and vermin.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

What's your 7 Yard group?

Bill drill at 7 yards from holster on a timer from the Buzz Start is all in an 8" pie plate (carry them to the range) in less than 3 seconds. Bill drill is 6 rounds fired into the target in the fastest time with none outside of the specified range. For IPSC that is all in the A Zone.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

50 rds, slow fire, 7yrds, 9mm XD sc. Two hand, thumbs forward grip. I had to mentally force myself to slow down though. I generally shoot a bit faster to practice more practical shooting. But we were trying the gun out, so I wanted to see what it was capable of.

First 3 rds of that 50 rd group.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

CTR's suggestions in his post are good, practical recommendations.

I don't often shoot at 7 yards.

Here are some deliberate offhand efforts at 10 yards with .38 Special target revolvers. These groups were made using the revolvers single action.

A 10 yard six-shot group fired with a Colt New Navy .41 Long Colt. The revolver was fired in single action mode.

This 2-inch Smith & Wesson K-Frame Military & Police sees some concealed carry duty. This group was made from 10 yards using a two-handed hold, shooting the revolver single action. The ammunition was the Winchester +P 158 grain SWC-HP load. I would shoot a hole in the card stock door hanger then aim at the hole.

Same revolver, fired double action from 10 yards.

A single action and then a double action group fired with the 2-inch Smith & Wesson .38 Special revolver from 19 yards. The 19 yard distance was selected because that is where someone had left a handy table that I could use for my shooting gear.

One shot barely caught the edge of the target at 19 yards when shooting double action.

Senior Moderator
    If I am training for defensive use I try to keep all of my rounds in an 8" circle (the A-zone of an IDPA target)

If I am target praticing and not worried about speed then I try to get as small of a group as possible
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Shooting 357Mag put 10rnds in 4in circle D/A as quick as I could get back on target @ 10 yards with 1 flier a cylender, All under 30 seconds is about my best PS Not too bad for the OP, Good shooting! ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Thanks for the input guys, I guess I don't feel too bad now. I'm going to work on my grip and technique some more and just get used to firing the G36. Maybe I'll update this thread as my shooting gets better.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    If I am training for defensive use I try to keep all of my rounds in an 8" circle (the A-zone of an IDPA target)

If I am target praticing and not worried about speed then I try to get as small of a group as possible
    +1

I think precision shooting is excellent training for controlling and manipulating the weapon and necessary to work out shooting problems. However, when training for defensive use of the weapon, maintaining impact of all rounds inside an 8" circle is success.

I regularly use 8" paper plates as targets. They are inexpensive and using a bunch of them stapled to cardboard backing reduces the number of trips down range.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post

Ditto.

8" at the far extreme maximum allowed for any given range/distance.
    Typically at 7 yds. I'm shooting at 3x5 cards and Post It notes for slow fire and at a 7" circle (chest) and 5" square (face) for combat/fast fire practice.

Here is a link to a post I'd made in Feb showing multiple targets as shot over varying distances with the very accurate in my hands (left and right hand hold) M&P40. Standard commercial WWB target ammo.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...3-post103.html

I do not believe in shooting from bags or a bench...Because I won't have a bag or bench to shoot from as I carry on the streets, defend my home or shoot an IDPA match.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I am happy when my tactical shooting drills leave all my rounds in the center 1/3 area of a man sized silouette target - minus the head shots.

That said those are almost all presentation drills when at 7 yards in 2 seconds - draw/shoot 2 rounds to center mass. I try to beat the clock enough to be able to step off line before and after the shot.

To me defensive shooting isn't as much about shooting small groups as it is getting solid hits on a torso quickly.

But as has been mentioned, target shooting is a great way to hone technique!

Good luck!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    if youre making very small groups chances are youare firing too slowly...as your speed increases your groups will grow...as time and practice allows you will be able to produce decent com groups at rapid fire...

dont get caught up in small groups...if you dont believe your shooting is effective for self defense lay the target on your body and look where the shots are going...

accuracy is good...speed in a self defense situation is king...the person with lead on target first is most likely to win the encounter...even an arm shot is going to take an agressor off their line...follow up shots will comlplete the defense...

an 8" circle at a good speed would be very good shooting...when youre trying to save your life or that of someone you love nobody is going to be impressed by how many bullets go into the same hole...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links