Backstop

Backstop

This is a discussion on Backstop within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live on 5 acres outside the city limits . I had a friend of mine construct a box built with 2x8 and put 3/4 ...

Thread: Backstop

Backstop

I live on 5 acres outside the city limits . I had a friend of mine construct a box built with 2x8 and put 3/4 inch plywood on the front and back . It is 4 ft x 4ft built on 2x 8 legs.

About 6 ft tall, filled with sand , 17each 40lb bags. The sand is 8 inches thick. Really nice.
    Wanted something to stop 9mm, 38 with. Concerned with busting up plywood too quickly. He made it where I can unscrew plywood , put new piece on or add to it.
    Trick would be laying it down to do that , seeing how heavy it is.

Any way a guy at work gave me a piece of conveyor belt material 4 ft x 6ft , 1/2 inch thick rubber. Very dense .

He said I could put that on the front on hang it a few inches in front of the backstop.

My concern , Could the bullet possibly bounce back ?? I dont see anything penetrating that rubber ?

The whole idea might be a bad one using that rubber material, boy its thick and dense ?

Any ideas appreciated.

I've seen folks use old tires on a back stop and there weren't any problems.

It won't bounce back with 1/2 inch material....shoot-houses use tires filled with sand or other dense material...shouldn't be a problem
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Polish Armed View Post
    He said I could put that on the front on hang it a few inches in front of the backstop.

this line is the key.

free hanging like that will absorb a great deal of the energy and transfer it to the complete sheet. I would be surprised if it made it through the rubber. but if it did I do not think it would make it through the plywood.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Leaned the rubber piece up , shot it with 22 pistol from about 25 feet away. While I was behind a tree.

Did not penetrate it, didnt hear a richocet, but couldnt find the bullet.
    Same thing with a 9mm.
    Barely noticed the mark on the rubber that either one left. Is the bullet dropping very close to the rubber ?
    Chances of it returning to where it is being fired from ?

I need to test some more, this stuff is probably 5/8 thick, very dense.

I'll bet if you put a credit card on one side and my ex-wife on the otherside that rubber wouldn't even slow her down getting to the credit card
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The holes from the 9mm are probably sealing up after the bullet penetrates. Put a sheet of cardboard behind the rubber and retest. Lots of rubber type material bullet stops out there that can take thousands of rounds and still look almost new.

OMO

bosco

Sponsored Links