Roanoke Times LTE

Roanoke Times LTE

This is a discussion on Roanoke Times LTE within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Join the NRA to advocate for sensible gun laws - Roanoke.com Join the NRA to advocate for sensible gun laws Sarah and Jim Brady have ...

Thread: Roanoke Times LTE

VIP Member

Thumbs down Roanoke Times LTE

Join the NRA to advocate for sensible gun laws - Roanoke.com

Join the NRA to advocate for sensible gun laws

Sarah and Jim Brady have been tireless champions for sensible gun laws, spending countless hours lobbying. Their efforts have largely been in vain, given the very powerful opposition lobby of the NRA, with its 4 million members and its congressional campaign contributions of $20 million, together with the lobbying power of the firearms manufacturing industry.

As aptly pointed out by Riley Cash ("We will become the Wild West," May 4 letter), there are more and more sites in Virginia where residents with concealed carry permits can take handguns, even into restaurants that serve alcohol.

Even more disconcerting, he points out that a bill was under consideration in the Virginia General Assembly to make it legal for professors at state universities to carry a handgun into the classroom. What next, a law making it legal for students to carry handguns as well, which a few Virginia Tech students have been advocating?

When will all of this nonsense stop? It will stop only when the millions of people in this country who believe in sensible gun laws join the NRA and change the mentality of the association to one that champions common-sense gun laws.

G.V. GIBBS
    BLACKSBURG
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    That is one of the most ridiculous articles I've ever read. Hopefully, Virginia college students/faculty WILL get to carry their guns to protect themselves. Check out Utah, we are able to carry into schools, and have yet to see the "massacre" that will ensue because of these insensible gun laws.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    That is one of the most ridiculous articles I've ever read.

The idea that enough antis will join the NRA, GOA, VCDL, etc, etc to change the focus to that of Sarah and Jim Brady is about as realistic as the vain hope that criminals will obey Gun Free Zones (a.k. a. -- Criminal Protection Zones, Unarmed Victim Zones, Helpless Victim Zones, etc)
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I've been trying to tell the NRA for years to just let this whole gun thingy slide, we can be more of a support mission for whatever government position happens to be in vogue at the moment. Dunno why they never call me back....

Sponsored Links