1911 - 22lr

This is a discussion on 1911 - 22lr within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've got a nice assortment of various carry calibers, revolvers, semis, full size, and compact. So I've been wanting a 22 lr semi-auto for target ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 - 22lr

1911 - 22lr

I've got a nice assortment of various carry calibers, revolvers, semis, full size, and compact. So I've been wanting a 22 lr semi-auto for target and plinking and I've also been wanting a 1911 (black with wooden grips). I was thinking a Springfield GI model, nothing fancy.

So now my local shop is carrying a relatively inexpensive 1911 model in a 22lr caliber. The Chiappa 1911-22. I've not read anything about them. I really don't need a 45ACP for carry purposes, and probably wouldn't actually CC a full size 1911 often anyway.

Could a 1911 model in a 22lr caliber be a good idea to satisfy both of my needs in one inexpensive package? I don't know. Any thoughts or experiences with these? I'm very tempted.
    Last edited by BugDude; May 13th, 2010 at 11:36 PM. Reason: added name brand
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Most of the 1911 conversions (Ciener, Marvel, etc.) are functionally pretty good, but accuracy is not a long suit. They are a good alternative to practicing with full-caliber ammo in the same gun, but I doubt you'll ever see one in a bullseye match.

Without knowing what make/model you're looking at, it's hard to give any guidance.

However, the Ruger 22/45 is a .22 with the same grip angle as the 1911, and the new 'RG' (replaceable grip) model gets you even closer to the 1911 experience. I did a little trigger work on my 22/45 and it's a real tack driver... with a very modest investment.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

This isn't a conversion kit, it is a 1911 platform weapon dedicated to 22lr. It's made by Chiappa. I'm going to keep searching for more info. It certainly has my attention in the "fun gun" category.

I have a friend that just bought one. It seems ok...not outstanding, but on par with most .22s. The trigger was a disappointment, though. The first time I shot it, I pulled the trigger with moderate pressure...nothing....looked to see if the safety was on...nope...the trigger is just really, really heavy.

I know it isn't a Chiappa, but I do have a Springfield GI and a Kimber .22lr conversion kit I use on it. Shooting .22lr through a 1911 is a lot of fun. I just got it, so it only has 300 rounds through it, but they all went without a hitch and it was reasonably accurate. You may have to use the higher velocity stuff (I used CCI mini mag in mine) to ensure reliable cycling though.

OD*
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Administrator
    The Chiappa (pronounced kē-appa) family has been an Italian firearms manufacturer for over 50 years, located in Brescia -- Italy's "Fun Valley".

Chiappa started out making reproductions of early rifles like the Sharps, Winchester 1842 lever action and Civil War era rifles. Chiappa has now moved to more modern reproductions like the new 1911-22 and the Double Eagle Derringer; a replica of the famous Remington Derringer of the early 1900's.

Chiappa is operated in one of the most modern automated factories in Italy with over 100,000 square feet of production area. In 2007, Chiappa Firearms LTD opened a production facility in Dayton, Ohio and started to make a limited number of Firearms in the USA -- including the 1911-22 and Double Eagle Derringers.

What this means is that in the unlikely event that you would need your firearm serviced, you have a company located in Ohio to send it to.

Thanks for the link, OD. It has good reviews and is made to have the same feel and weight of a real 45 1911 (heavy) and appears to be pretty accurate...but mainly FUN and inexpensive to buy and shoot. I've seen some listed online around $250 - 260. My local pawn shop has 2 new ones and they're good about giving regular customers a break and matching other deals. They're out of town, but when they come back I think I'll be buying one just to have some fun with. When I do, I'll post some pics and reports. I can't believe I'm excited about a 22 (although I shot them for years).

I own a Colt .22 Conversion for my custom Gold Cup. When the .45 was done over by Austin Behlert, so was the conversion kit. Austin swapped out the colt sight with his own make, so was the Gold Cup.

Accuracy for both has never been an issue. I don't know if that's due to Colt's conv. kit or Austin's brilliance.
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"

OD*
    You're welcome, Bug.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

Give us a good range report when ya get one......

One of the gun mags (Rifleman?) had a positive review on them. I have one on order at the gunshop, plan to maybe make it a platform for a suppressor. Couldn't beat the price.

NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

well it all depends on how much you want to spend.
    I was looking for a 1911 style 22 not too long ago, but didnt want to spend much yet. I looked at a few guns @ my local gun store. They had a PUMA, which was very much a 1911 22, but i was skeptical for the $300 price tag and the brand. I did some research and decided against it and am glad i did.
    I ended up getting the Ruger MKIII 22/45 with interchangable grips.
    Best decision I ever made. Although it does not have a standard 1911 slide or safety, the grip angle is perfect and it feels like a 1911 in my hands.
    the MKIII has the bolt style instead of a slide for a reason. They are much more accurate and reliable for a 22 than a slide.
    Here is my review of the gun, I have shot it a lot now and just love it.
    Im guessing eventually I will get a nice 22 target gun, but for under $800, i dont think you can get a better 22 than the markIII 22/45.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...view-pics.html
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I have a Kimber .22, aluminum frame & slide.
    It's alot of fun, runs great on Fed bulk pack, I also put a steady diet of mini-mags & stingers through it too.

Before I found that one, I had a Kimber .22 conversion kit.
    It ran greaat with Rem.golden bullet, not Fed bulk.
    Both were not as finicky as I had expected.
    I found that both like the hotter ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links