Black Powder Question

This is a discussion on Black Powder Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have recently aquired a black powder pistol. NO, it's a reproduction....I can't seem to budget an original. LOL Anyway, I know that one must ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Powder Question

Black Powder Question

I have recently aquired a black powder pistol. NO, it's a reproduction....I can't seem to budget an original. LOL

Anyway, I know that one must clean a black powder piece extremely well after firing as the salt in the powder will corrode it.

Question....how long can one keep the pistol loaded and primed before it becomes a problem?

I'm sure that the cowboys of the 1850's didn't unload and clean daily, but how long DID they go before firing off the current loads and cleaning to reload it?

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I have 0 experience with black powder... but I would venture to say it would depend on the components you use. Such as using a ball with cloth patch in a muzzle loader the patch may be able to wick moisture into the powder if left too long.

Just curious... how come you want to keep it loaded?
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

I've had my 44 1851 Navy Loaded for over 6 mounth, And every Load went BANG ; ) PS Just don't let em rust!!
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    I have recently aquired a black powder pistol. NO, it's a reproduction....I can't seem to budget an original. LOL

Anyway, I know that one must clean a black powder piece extremely well after firing as the salt in the powder will corrode it.

Question....how long can one keep the pistol loaded and primed before it becomes a problem?

I'm sure that the cowboys of the 1850's didn't unload and clean daily, but how long DID they go before firing off the current loads and cleaning to reload it?

Thanks in advance.
    It's not the black powder that causes the rust, it's the residue from black powder combustion that's the problem. The stories are legion of old muskets being found in attics, loaded and completely ready to fire after a hundred years.

As long as you keep your charcoal burner in a dry place, there shouldn't be a corrosion problem. I'd leave the percussion caps off until it's time to shoot, though, unless you're keeping this for defensive purposes
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    It's not the black powder that causes the rust, it's the residue from black powder combustion that's the problem. The stories are legion of old muskets being found in attics, loaded and completely ready to fire after a hundred years.

As long as you keep your charcoal burner in a dry place, there shouldn't be a corrosion problem. I'd leave the percussion caps off until it's time to shoot, though, unless you're keeping this for defensive purposes
    I shoot BP/ML "regularly" ( Sport, Competition ( Flintlock Rifle & Pistol ), Hunting.& NRA Training. My cap & ball Revolvers, I only use for "fun & Training. )

Gasmitty is correct.

BTW, I ONLY leave the "charge" in my guns when Hunting ( like a week or 2 )

Cleaning a BP/ML = EASY ( Hot soap & water )

Here is a pic of some of mine.

Puffer

You know that burned black powder is obviously corrosive. I am a Civil War [Union] reenactor who usually uses the 1861 .58 caliber Springfield rifle, and who sometimes is allowed to use [an officer's] .44 caliber Remington pistol; with four cheap pawn-shop Hawken-type rifles for new Union recruits or walk-ons. There is no reason to keep a black-powder gun loaded, especially with balls or bullets in them! After every reenacted battle, we shoot final volleys up into the air and then fire a couple of caps to clear them, including our pistols. Every year, I fear, even "experienced veteran" reenactors make mistakes that are sometimes fatal. Even during the Civil War, black-powder weapons became obsolete after the invention of the modern bullet and the Henry rifle, for many good reasons.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Wild Bill Hickcock fired and reloaded his pistols every morning to have fresh loads. But he was a bit anal about it.

Shouldn't be a problem, as long as you "keep your powder dry"!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yep keep it dry, no problem for long term storage, I know of several guys that simply DE cap their muzzle loader after hunting season leaving it loaded and stored in their gun safe until next season...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Are you using Blackpowder or one of the modern substitutes?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Thanks for all the information. razor, I keep ALL of my guns loaded. That way I am not prone to think that they are UNloaded. No kids to contend with, and most locked up in the vaults. Puffer....NICE!!!!! Gasmitty, Coldwarrior et al....thanks. I thought that it was the process of combustion that made all the corrosive stuff, but wasn't sure. I was telling a guy how much of a PIA it was to clean them, and he responded...."You're married aren't ya". I said yes but why?
    He told me he just puts his in the dishwasher and that takes care of the cleaning..Don't know about that, but it was an interesting idea.

Black powder ammunition was standard before smokeless powders were invented. They were manufactured, shipped and stored for who knows how long before a cowboy forked over a few bits to buy a box and load into his peacemaker. I see no difference between a manufactured black powder cartridge and a pistol loaded with ball and powder as long as it is kept dry.

OMO

bosco

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    There is no reason to keep a black-powder gun loaded, especially with balls or bullets in them!

A polite, why not?

Thanks
    bosco

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    A polite, why not bosco
    So he won't shoot his computer ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I would tend to keep lead residue and what not away from my eating utensils, etc. Put the dishes in the dishwasher.

Black-powder weapons are prone to misfire and are less dependable than the modern firearms that replaced them, which they did very quickly, despite them being nostalgic fun guns at encampments and reenactments. I do not depend on them for home or self defense. It is up to you gals and guys if you choose to do like or otherwise. On the weekend of June 5/6, I and my fellow and female Union troops will once again defend the money, during five LM&M Railroad Civil War train-robbery rides, followed by five battle reenactments; during which we will again be tricked by riffraff-rebel women and captured by Confederates, three times on Saturday and two times on Sunday, between Lebanon and Mason, Ohio. It may seem strange and queer, but they trick us every year!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links