Anyone care to talk me out of picking up an 'American Classic 1911-A1'?

This is a discussion on Anyone care to talk me out of picking up an 'American Classic 1911-A1'? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This would be the first time ever that I've sought public advice on a decision, but I have the utmost respect for the members here, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone care to talk me out of picking up an 'American Classic 1911-A1'?

VIP Member

This would be the first time ever that I've sought public advice on a decision, but I have the utmost respect for the members here, and I'm really on the fence.

I have no intention of carrying it on a day to day basis. This is more for fun at the range, and OC walks in the woods. This will be a 'fun gun'. If I were to get it, I may leave it stock, or build it up to suit my needs. I presently don't have a 1911, and just miss it.

I can pick this up at a local store for a little over $400, or do I go for the pre-fab upgrades and drop close to $900 for a 'Loaded' SA 1911? Resale value isn't really a consideration, as I tend to hang on to my guns.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dropping $400 for a fun gun isn't a bad way to go. You'll be a lot more forgiving of a fun gun and have lower expectations than if you started with a big-ticket gun. And if it turns out to be a miracle of reliability, then you've hit your personal lottery.

But if your goal is to someday have a "serious" 1911 for defensive purposes, I would start with a known quantity such as a Springer, Colt or STI. Putting a lot of gunsmith hours and pricey parts into a low-end base strikes me as a dubious value.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Buy it.

Shoot it.

You'll love it.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I usually agree with just about everything gasmitty says, but I'll depart just a smidge, here.

An "American Classic" pretty much IS an STI Spartan.

Plus, as long as you don't expect resale value, you could do worse things than **** around with an ARMSCOR gun.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Dropping $400 for a fun gun isn't a bad way to go. You'll be a lot more forgiving of a fun gun and have lower expectations than if you started with a big-ticket gun. And if it turns out to be a miracle of reliability, then you've hit your personal lottery.

But if your goal is to someday have a "serious" 1911 for defensive purposes, I would start with a known quantity such as a Springer, Colt or STI. Putting a lot of gunsmith hours and pricey parts into a low-end base strikes me as a dubious value.
    Ditto
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    So nobody's gonna talk me off the ledge here? Even though the iron sites on this model make it pretty much a point-shooter only?

I guess I'm gonna have to talk myself out of it. Harley's T3 post really got me drooling...

Nope. Buy it. It's your money, not mine.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    So nobody's gonna talk me off the ledge here? Even though the iron sites on this model make it pretty much a point-shooter only?

I guess I'm gonna have to talk myself out of it. Harley's T3 post really got me drooling...
    The AC45G?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    The AC45G?
    Yup, that's the one. It has a flared ejection port, but everything else is bare-bones milspec. The fit on it appears excellent. I think I'm already deciding that it needs better sites, I may as well look at some other features as well... This is why I don't do impulse buys, and always wait at least 24 hours.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Yup, that's the one. It has a flared ejection port, but everything else is bare-bones milspec. The fit on it appears excellent. I think I'm already deciding that it needs better sites, I may as well look at some other features as well... This is why I don't do impulse buys, and always wait at least 24 hours.
    Yeah, American Classic is imported by Bersa same as Fire storm but I don't think they are made in Argentina as bersa is. There is another American Classic 1911 A1 from Metro Arms made in the Philippines. They are in the $3-400.00 range. I saw one in S.S. for under $400.00

I have only seen 3 of the Bersa American Classic. There were to be other models but I have no specs on them. They are all 4140 steel, the AC45G has 3 dot sights and standard safety. I would probably start looking to replace the plastic grips. I can get the "Deluxe" Government model. It has an extended beaver tail safety, Novak rear sights, dovetail front sights and wood grips. 8rd mags are about $25.00. The have been around for 2-3 years?. I don't see what you have to loose.

Just for your own satisfaction, why not have a look at Taurus 1911's for about $100.00 more and also have a look on Gun Broker.com.
    I would be interested in a follow-up.
    I don't care what it is but I have to have a 5" 1911.
    They always make me feel good when shooting.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Haha. Around here?? No way man. Enjoy your new gun that you're about to buy!

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Yeah, American Classic is imported by Bersa same as Fire storm but I don't think they are made in Argentina as bersa is. There is another American Classic 1911 A1 from Metro Arms made in the Philippines. They are in the $3-400.00 range. I saw one in S.S. for under $400.00

I have only seen 3 of the Bersa American Classic. There were to be other models but I have no specs on them. They are all 4140 steel, the AC45G has 3 dot sights and standard safety. I would probably start looking to replace the plastic grips. I can get the "Deluxe" Government model. It has an extended beaver tail safety, Novak rear sights, dovetail front sights and wood grips. 8rd mags are about $25.00. The have been around for 2-3 years?. I don't see what you have to loose.

Just for your own satisfaction, why not have a look at Taurus 1911's for about $100.00 more and also have a look on Gun Broker.com.
    I would be interested in a follow-up.
    I don't care what it is but I have to have a 5" 1911.
    They always make me feel good when shooting.
    I would warn you away from the Taurus.

First, the Filipino gun is probably going to have a lot less trouble. Second, the ARMSCOR customer support is just fantastic. Go to The M1911 Pistols Organization, and search "Arnel". He does warranty work for ARMSCOR here in the US and goes above and beyond in his CS.

I shoot an RIA government model, which is just like your metro arms. Itty bitty sights and all. I am going to put a new tenon front and resized rear on mine, replace the grips and call it good.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    I would warn you away from the Taurus.

First, the Filipino gun is probably going to have a lot less trouble. Second, the ARMSCOR customer support is just fantastic. Go to The M1911 Pistols Organization, and search "Arnel". He does warranty work for ARMSCOR here in the US and goes above and beyond in his CS.

I shoot an RIA government model, which is just like your metro arms. Itty bitty sights and all. I am going to put a new tenon front and resized rear on mine, replace the grips and call it good.
    The Metro Arms 1911 is the Filipino gun. Bursa and Metro Arms are different companies but both go by the name American Classic. They both came out about the same time, I think it was the 2008 Shot Show. I know Metro has gotten some decent reviews and has more selection than Bursa.

I know what you are saying about Taurus. It is not what comes to mind when I'm thinking 1911 but then again neither does Bursa. They just happen to be a similar price points.

The Metro might be a better pistol. The OP was looking at the Bursa though.
    - Zen Saying

I'd probably go for the Springfield GI .45. It's a $100 more, but it does have a pretty venerable record as we all know! When I buy my first 1911, that is most likely to be on the one I buy. That's the true "American Classic" to me.
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    I'd probably go for the Springfield GI .45. It's a $100 more, but it does have a pretty venerable record as we all know! When I buy my first 1911, that is most likely to be on the one I buy. That's the true "American Classic" to me.
    Colt has made many millions more 1911 pattern pistols than Springfield or any other manufacture. Springfield Armory made some M1911's in WW1. During WW2 more 1911 A1's were made by Singer Sewing Machine Co. than by Springfield.

Springfield got an FBI contract in 1998. After Beretta 92F 9mm pistols stared jambing in Desert Storm, the Marines started using Springfield's that were being produced at the time.

Springfield is a good choice for a 1998 type 1911 pattern pistol, a very good choice.
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links