Drunks are the real danger -- Roanaake Times LTE

This is a discussion on Drunks are the real danger -- Roanaake Times LTE within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/246761 Drunks are the real danger Re: "We will become the Wild West," May 4 letter: Many places that serve booze had a bad reputation ...

Thread: Drunks are the real danger -- Roanaake Times LTE

VIP Member

Drunks are the real danger -- Roanaake Times LTE

http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/letters/wb/246761

Drunks are the real danger

Re: "We will become the Wild West," May 4 letter:

Many places that serve booze had a bad reputation before the right to carry a concealed weapon into them became law. Arguments, fights and people getting injured and killed are commonplace in establishments where alcohol is served, not to mention drunks getting into motor vehicles and endangering other drivers on our roadways. Many a newspaper or TV news account tells of some drunk who has caused a bad wreck.

Riley Cash compares the right to carry weapons with the Old West. If he had taken time to read our Western history, he would have found out that there were very few "shoot 'em ups" as portrayed in movies and on TV. That gunplay was strictly the imagination of the scriptwriters.

He, like all liberals, is like the boy who cried wolf. With liberals, it is always "What if? What if?" They want to drink their slop, but they don't want people to have the Second Amendment right to carry a weapon. Drunks are the danger to people, not the person with the legal right to carry a weapon.

GLEN C. WATSON JR.
    MAX MEADOWS
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    CC and OC are legal here where alcohol is served, good luck finding any stories of a permit holder shooting anyone at a bar or alcohol serving restaurant.

I did hear a story of a permit holder shooting someone at a party where there was plenty of alcohol. He was 21, and got his permit THAT DAY. He shot another guy who spilled beer on him, his BAC was found to be nearly 3 times the legal limit.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Alcohol is a far greater social ill. Ban drunks in bars and society would be much better off. I couldn't agree with Glen more.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Excellent letter. Wish more people would just use their brain a little...

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    Alcohol is a far greater social ill. Ban drunks in bars and society would be much better off. I couldn't agree with Glen more.
    While I agreewith you that alcohol is one of the most dangerous drugs (yes, on the list with cocaine and meth), I dont agree however that banning ANY substance is the answer.

Today we are seeing the same exact thing the prohibition era saw with the non-legal drugs.

Even with the "war on drugs" farce, drug usage, violent crime and murder has skyrocketed in the 40 years the war on drugs was introduced.

So, banning alcohol and bars would just make the problem worse.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

The issue was people saying society shold ban guns in bars because of the drunks. My point was we would be better off to ban the drunks in bars (i.e. not having drunks in public places) rather than banning the guns aspect. I have no issue with alcohol in general and am not advocating banning the substance, just that when people go out into public places and get drunk, that tends to lead to a number of various social ills. Having a drink and sitting at a bar getting hammered is two different things. If folks want to get hammered, society would be much better off if they did that in the privacy of their own home. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    The issue was people saying society shold ban guns in bars because of the drunks. My point was we would be better off to ban the drunks in bars (i.e. not having drunks in public places) rather than banning the guns aspect. I have no issue with alcohol in general and am not advocating banning the substance, just that when people go out into public places and get drunk, that tends to lead to a number of various social ills. Having a drink and sitting at a bar getting hammered is two different things. If folks want to get hammered, society would be much better off if they did that in the privacy of their own home. JMO.
    Okay, sorry for the confusion.
    But as far as banning public drunkenness, hell most states already have a law for that and is enforced regularly.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

And most states already have a charge for displaying, threatening or even discharging a firearm while under the influence...

Same here in MN

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    CC and OC are legal here where alcohol is served, good luck finding any stories of a permit holder shooting anyone at a bar or alcohol serving restaurant.

I did hear a story of a permit holder shooting someone at a party where there was plenty of alcohol. He was 21, and got his permit THAT DAY. He shot another guy who spilled beer on him, his BAC was found to be nearly 3 times the legal limit.
    There was one guy a few years ago that went home after an argument with the bouncer, got his gun and came back and shot him. Had nothing to do with CC as anyone could have done that. The wild west shotouts in bars is an old anti-gun persons last stand. It never holds water.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

When MN was debating concealed carry, one of our local reps was up debating with a bulletproof vest on, talking about how gun battles would be raging in the street and innocent people would be killed if we passed it. Five years later, he was forced to admit that there wasn't an adverse effect of the law. As a group, concealed carry permit holders are less likely to be convicted of a violent offense than police officers.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I believe it has been shown that drive-tru restraunts cause more traffice accidents than sit down. Maybe drive-trus should be illegal.

Well, there are fewer fights at a donut store then a bar. So the problem is not CC, but bars. Guess bars should be illegal. However I believe alcohol related crimes (and for that mater firearm related crimes) increased when there were no bars serving alcohol. I guess this is the greatest problem our society must solve.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Inanimate objects and substances are merely a couple of the tools of bad people. Since the beginning of time, mankind has been inflicting attrocities of various sorts on his fellow man. Before alcohol or guns, it was rocks and sticks. Bad people are the problem.

As my tag line says, if you take guns off the streets you will still have a crime problem. Take criminals off the street and you will no longer have a gun problem. Same holds true with alcohol or whatever other device bad people cause problems with.

Links