Kel-Tec Sub 2000

This is a discussion on Kel-Tec Sub 2000 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am considering a Sub 2000 in .40 S&W as part of my home defense package. Looking for opinions from Sub 2000 owners as far ...

Thread: Kel-Tec Sub 2000

Kel-Tec Sub 2000

I am considering a Sub 2000 in .40 S&W as part of my home defense package. Looking for opinions from Sub 2000 owners as far as reliability. It seems to fit the bill as a compact, pistol caliber rifle, that can be easily hidden. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Josh

2. Remove Ads

I got the 9mm glock version recently. It's quite a fun gun and would do well for home defense IMHO. I expected some "breaking in pains" and got a few, but later a fellow on the kel-tec forums mentioned that sometimes federal ammo is underpowered for cycling the action especially in a new gun. Started using Winchester white box and haven't had a problem since.

It also fit's in my laptop case perfectly.
    Give us this day our daily lead...

I have had a 9MM S2K for a few months and have put a little over 1000 rounds through it (estimate, but a conservative one) without a glitch of any kind. This includes cheap Federal and Brown Bear, WWB and the Hornady HPs I use in my Glock.

IMO a great HD carbine...especially at $300.

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Have had a Sub 2K (9mm) for quite a few years. Never had a single issue and it is pretty darn accurate out to 50 yds.

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    If you do a search you will find several posts on the S2K. I have owned a 9mm (Beretta mags) Sub 2000 for 6 years. They are generally reliable firearms and a lot of good plinking fun. They are made with a lot of plastic parts like all KT products and they are certainly not military quality/tough guns and would not holdup to constant abuse but for a HD gun they will work well in that role.

I have made several upgrades and mods to mine over the years to make it a bit more user friendly and functional. The one weak point of the carbine IMO is the plastic front sights. Some people even replace them with the metal front sight on the Hi Point 995 Carbine, which I have one also. You can go to the Kel Tec Owners Group forum for much more detailed info.

CDNN has been selling the 9mm Sub 2000 for $299 lately, you may want to check them out before you buy. Our forum friend Paxmentis got his from CDNN and has put it through a good workout.

Its a fun little ugly stick.....
    Last edited by pirate; May 16th, 2010 at 04:10 PM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I have owned a Sub-2000 for about five years. Shoots very well and is pretty accurate. Coupled with a model 17 Glock and extended mags this a very potent combination for home defense and all around general fun shooting.

Thanks for the replies. Will research them a bit more, then buy one. Will check out CDNN ( not sure what that stands for, but will check it out [CDNN.com?]).

Regards,
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart6 View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Will research them a bit more, then buy one. Will check out CDNN ( not sure what that stands for, but will check it out [CDNN.com?]).

Regards,
    Josh
    CDNNsports.com...use the download catalogue link and then check out page 49...you will need to order by phone.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

I have a 9mm Glock variant Sub2000. It's accurate to 50 yards plus, very portable, and fun to shoot. I added an aftermarket cover to the stock cheekpiece, and a bigger knob on the bolt. Front sight is awful, and I'm still working on that part. Kel-Tec forum has lots of good advice on the Sub2000, too.

A local PD issues them in 40 with Glock magazines to match the issue sidearm. They also issued cheap barrel mount lasers but those were too much of a hassle and never stayed zeroed. That was totally the fault of the laser and not the gun. The only negative i saw was that some of the guns I had to sight in for them needed the front sight moved almost all the way over to one side to zero. They did zero though and they hold up well to bouncing around in the trunk of cop cars and general abuse of a day to day duty gun. I never see them in for repair, just cleaning.

Links