Defensive Carry banner

AR .22 LR conversion as a plinker?

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  nutz4utwo 
#1 ·
How reliable are AR .22 LR conversion as a plinkers? Especially the 25 or so round mags. Do you get many jams?

#2 ·
I picked up a TacSol dedicated upper a year or so ago, and it's performed flawlessly with the two Black Dog mags..... but I guess that's not the same as a conversion kit....

#5 ·
Mine eats federal 550 bulk 22LR like a champ,I use black Dog mags and my buddy has an M16 with the Ciener M16 conversion,we can burn up 26 rounds in about 2 seconds,plus the mag follower will hold bolt open on empty mag

#6 ·
I’ve got a Spike’s Tactical, that once “tuned” has been extremely reliable with BD mags and FED Bulk. I might get a jam about every 5-700 rounds when not cleaning.

I don’t use it much now because I bought a S&W MP15-22 which is just about as reliable, and a heck of a lot easier to clean. The S&W is also more accurate due to the proper twist rate compared to my 1:7 Colt 6920.

Chuck

#7 ·
My CMMG .22 conversion with Black Dog mags is as reliable as the AR with the OEM .556 bolt and carrier and quality .556 brass ammo. In other words the quality .22 conversions work very well and are a blast. Some ammo may be 100% reliable and some .22 may not be. Just try a few different types of Hi Vel .22.

#8 ·
I found that on my 1 in 9 upper, 40grain (or heavier) gave the best accuracy. As to reliability, that is very dependant on the ammo - Remington bulk wouldn't fire 3 rounds without a hangup. Other brands will give multiple full mags with no hiccups. Black Dog Machine mags have been as reliable as I could ask for. They have both 25, 15 & 10 round plastic versions that work with the CMMG conversions. They recently added billet aluminum versions & a 50 round drum.

Nick

#9 ·
The problem with conversions are that the barrel twist for the .223 is not ideal for the .22 and accuracy suffers.

If you go the .22 route, (and its a good route) you're better off buying a whole top half with the correct twist for the .22. or buying the whole gun built from the ground up, like the Colt or the Smith and Wesson.

#10 ·
i have owned a colt, dpms and ceiner drop in conversion with the standard mags for each. all functioned with no issues and would take just about anything i would feed it. accuracy was acceptable for plinking and shooting metal. sold my ar and eventually built out a rra lower. ordered a spikes tactical dedicated upper with bd mags. unit has performed as advertised. i load 25 rounds in the mags (federal bulk). i keep it clean and wet and have had no failures (other than a dead round now and then). the thing about the spikes-it works with federals--with feed issues for other rounds (remington gold=crap). i understand that the spikes can be tuned for other rounds but what the heck, i have 10k in federals. the spikes is very accurate and i use a red dot as well as a scope, depending on what the target of the day will be.

:wave:

#12 ·
Right now due to health issues I'm pretty much limited to shooting .22's and to be honest my Spike's Tactical conversion has been a life saver. It's accurate enough, it's much cheaper to shoot, and I've been able to teach a bunch of new shooters and gotten them used to black guns not being scary all at the same time.

I use the Black Dog mags and probably clean every few hundred rounds. As long as it's wet I don't have a problem. Though I do use Federal bulk exclusively since that is what Spikes recommends and I was having trouble originally when I was using my mix of whatever I had on hand.

#14 ·
I have an ancient Ceiner conversion. It works with the original 10 and 30 round mags as well as Black Dogs but when it gets dirty after 150 or so rounds I get FTF and FTE and it can be a pain to clean. If I needed a plinker I would probably build a dedicated rimfire upper.

#15 ·
Have a CMMG conversion with a few blackdog mags. Reliability is fine. It functions just like any other rimfire. I have the 27 round mags, but can only fit like 23 rounds in them. They work fine.

It had a chipped extractor when new that caused extraction problems. Once corrected, it has been fine.

Accuracy with my 16" 1 in 7 twist 5.56 barrel. I can keep all shots within 3 inches at 25 yards, but more like 10 inches at 50 yards and 2 feet at 100 yards! Not great by any standards.

It is fun, cheap to shoot (a lot!), and great for training purposes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.