AR .22 LR conversion as a plinker?

This is a discussion on AR .22 LR conversion as a plinker? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How reliable are AR .22 LR conversion as a plinkers? Especially the 25 or so round mags. Do you get many jams?...

Thread: AR .22 LR conversion as a plinker?

AR .22 LR conversion as a plinker?

How reliable are AR .22 LR conversion as a plinkers? Especially the 25 or so round mags. Do you get many jams?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

2. Remove Ads

I picked up a TacSol dedicated upper a year or so ago, and it's performed flawlessly with the two Black Dog mags..... but I guess that's not the same as a conversion kit....
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    I picked up a TacSol dedicated upper a year or so ago, and it's performed flawlessly with the two Black Dog mags..... but I guess that's not the same as a conversion kit....
    Might be what I am looking for. I believe Black Dog mags can be 10 to 26?. I think I read some go to 50. What capacity mags do you have?
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Might be what I am looking for. I believe Black Dog mags can be 10 to 26?. I think I read some go to 50. What capacity mags do you have?
    I have two of the 25/26 round mags. I'm 2 hours south of the MI/IN line, but if you want to come shoot it, suit yourself.

I've shot Fed bulk pack, Fed Champion, Wolf MT, Wolf ME, PMC scoremaster, Aguila HV, Aguila SV, and Remington Target thru it, with no issues at all. If everything I own worked this well, I'd be in great shape.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Mine eats federal 550 bulk 22LR like a champ,I use black Dog mags and my buddy has an M16 with the Ciener M16 conversion,we can burn up 26 rounds in about 2 seconds,plus the mag follower will hold bolt open on empty mag
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I’ve got a Spike’s Tactical, that once “tuned” has been extremely reliable with BD mags and FED Bulk. I might get a jam about every 5-700 rounds when not cleaning.

I don’t use it much now because I bought a S&W MP15-22 which is just about as reliable, and a heck of a lot easier to clean. The S&W is also more accurate due to the proper twist rate compared to my 1:7 Colt 6920.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar
    My CMMG .22 conversion with Black Dog mags is as reliable as the AR with the OEM .556 bolt and carrier and quality .556 brass ammo. In other words the quality .22 conversions work very well and are a blast. Some ammo may be 100% reliable and some .22 may not be. Just try a few different types of Hi Vel .22.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

I found that on my 1 in 9 upper, 40grain (or heavier) gave the best accuracy. As to reliability, that is very dependant on the ammo - Remington bulk wouldn't fire 3 rounds without a hangup. Other brands will give multiple full mags with no hiccups. Black Dog Machine mags have been as reliable as I could ask for. They have both 25, 15 & 10 round plastic versions that work with the CMMG conversions. They recently added billet aluminum versions & a 50 round drum.

Nick
    Retired FBOP
    NRA Life member

Senior Moderator
    The problem with conversions are that the barrel twist for the .223 is not ideal for the .22 and accuracy suffers.

If you go the .22 route, (and its a good route) you're better off buying a whole top half with the correct twist for the .22. or buying the whole gun built from the ground up, like the Colt or the Smith and Wesson.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

i have owned a colt, dpms and ceiner drop in conversion with the standard mags for each. all functioned with no issues and would take just about anything i would feed it. accuracy was acceptable for plinking and shooting metal. sold my ar and eventually built out a rra lower. ordered a spikes tactical dedicated upper with bd mags. unit has performed as advertised. i load 25 rounds in the mags (federal bulk). i keep it clean and wet and have had no failures (other than a dead round now and then). the thing about the spikes-it works with federals--with feed issues for other rounds (remington gold=crap). i understand that the spikes can be tuned for other rounds but what the heck, i have 10k in federals. the spikes is very accurate and i use a red dot as well as a scope, depending on what the target of the day will be.

What kind of 25 and 50 yd accuracy are ya'll getting with your conversions?

Thanks.

Right now due to health issues I'm pretty much limited to shooting .22's and to be honest my Spike's Tactical conversion has been a life saver. It's accurate enough, it's much cheaper to shoot, and I've been able to teach a bunch of new shooters and gotten them used to black guns not being scary all at the same time.

I use the Black Dog mags and probably clean every few hundred rounds. As long as it's wet I don't have a problem. Though I do use Federal bulk exclusively since that is what Spikes recommends and I was having trouble originally when I was using my mix of whatever I had on hand.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    What kind of 25 and 50 yd accuracy are ya'll getting with your conversions?

Thanks.

25 yards, 25 rounds, casual shooting (standing leaning hip & elbow on car) w/ 60 grain Aquila sub-sonics out of Del-ton 1 in 9 twist middy. Switch to 36 grain and the group will open by at least 2x

Nick
    Retired FBOP
    NRA Life member

I have an ancient Ceiner conversion. It works with the original 10 and 30 round mags as well as Black Dogs but when it gets dirty after 150 or so rounds I get FTF and FTE and it can be a pain to clean. If I needed a plinker I would probably build a dedicated rimfire upper.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Have a CMMG conversion with a few blackdog mags. Reliability is fine. It functions just like any other rimfire. I have the 27 round mags, but can only fit like 23 rounds in them. They work fine.

It had a chipped extractor when new that caused extraction problems. Once corrected, it has been fine.

Accuracy with my 16" 1 in 7 twist 5.56 barrel. I can keep all shots within 3 inches at 25 yards, but more like 10 inches at 50 yards and 2 feet at 100 yards! Not great by any standards.

It is fun, cheap to shoot (a lot!), and great for training purposes.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Links