The most neglected part.....

This is a discussion on The most neglected part..... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I break down my magazines occasionally. The Glock magazines I drop in the dirt at matches get cleaned when the pistol gets cleaned or before ...

View Poll Results: Do you ever dissemble your mag and clean it?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

31 21.99%
  • Occasionally

100 70.92%
  • Uh Oh, Be right back....

6 4.26%
  • What mag I have a wheel gun...

4 2.84%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The most neglected part.....

I break down my magazines occasionally. The Glock magazines I drop in the dirt at matches get cleaned when the pistol gets cleaned or before they are ever loaded again. Glock mags are easy to break down and clean and inspect even though it's not recommended. I use a cotton t-shirt for a rag to wipe them out, and a little dab of my favorite gun cleaning product (Gunzilla) on the inside and out to slick 'em up a bit. I love polymer actually.

2. Remove Ads

I only wipe my mags.I don't like to take them apart.Plus I carry my wheel guns 1/2 the time.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Any idea where the sticky or the dust came from?
    Yes I do, dust is everywhere, and it is the same stuff you see in your magwell only more of it.... N I CC an HK, their mags are easy to take down, N replace the spring if needed.
    Heck this mag has seen over 5K rounds at the range, and is still on it's first wolf spring, but as of late I have been seeing more fine dust in the magwell, must be from my putting the gun in my hip pocket when I wear my bibs n mow the lawn, the shoulder rig tends to get in the way on the tractor n there is no way my pancake can be worn...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    My mags have a welded base plate (1911) so I just toss them in the ultrasonic cleaner every 2-3 months, then dry them well.
    Those come apart from the top, you know.

Just sayin'...

You left out a couple options

After every range session at least, Usually between loadings. On my carry guns usually every night or at least once a week with the weekly tear down wipe down reassemble.

Not very often, and I don't have a schedule to do so. I couldn't say exactly how many times, when, or anything like that.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I break down my magazines occasionally. The Glock magazines I drop in the dirt at matches get cleaned when the pistol gets cleaned or before they are ever loaded again. Glock mags are easy to break down and clean and inspect even though it's not recommended. I use a cotton t-shirt for a rag to wipe them out, and a little dab of my favorite gun cleaning product (Gunzilla) on the inside and out to slick 'em up a bit. I love polymer actually.
    Glock magazines ? Just throw them in the dishwasher with the gun.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Roughly every six months for me

Lead Moderator
    Occasionally , but especially if they get into sandy environs. Even my 1911 mags get taken down to clean.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I sometimes just spray some Remoil in it....let is sit a few, then blast it with my air compresser. The just do a light lube.

Occasionally.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Missing choice: always.

I always inspect them and ensure the lips of the magazines I use are cleaned and lubricated. If inspection shows a defect or the follower shows obvious signs of gritty movement, that magazine gets disassembled and cleaned.

Generally by the second or third outing, I tear down the magazines and completely clean and lube them. With the pistols, if range sessions exceed 150-200rds or so, I generally tear down the magazines along with the gun.

Suffice to say that I typically go years between magazine failures, and I think the maintenance is part of what keeps them running so well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

I always inspect them and ensure the lips of the magazines I use are cleaned and lubricated. If inspection shows a defect or the follower shows obvious signs of gritty movement, that magazine gets disassembled and cleaned.

Generally by the second or third outing, I tear down the magazines and completely clean and lube them. With the pistols, if range sessions exceed 150-200rds or so, I generally tear down the magazines along with the gun.

Suffice to say that I typically go years between magazine failures, and I think the maintenance is part of what keeps them running so well.
    I clean my gun after I shoot it, EVERY TIME. The mag is part of the gun, why would I not do the same with the mag.
    I meticulously maintain my mags, and believe it is (1 reason) why I have never had a failure from a gun I own. (Other than .22)
    Last edited by sigmanluke; May 19th, 2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: sp. and clarity
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

Every time I do my (daily) inspection I do the look, smack to seat on the mag, but how many of us acutely unload our mags for a more through inspection with a TD to get close and personal before we run into issues......
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    Every time I do my (daily) inspection I do the look, smack to seat on the mag, but how many of us acutely unload our mags for a more through inspection with a TD to get close and personal before we run into issues......
    After each time I shoot the gun, the gun gets field stripped and cleaned. The base plate, spring and follower come out of the mag, and all get cleaned and lightly lubed. I dot his so that I DON'T "run into issues".
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links