11 Reasons Not To Talk To The Police - Mark Sullivan, Palm Springs Defense Attorney - Page 2

11 Reasons Not To Talk To The Police - Mark Sullivan, Palm Springs Defense Attorney

This is a discussion on 11 Reasons Not To Talk To The Police - Mark Sullivan, Palm Springs Defense Attorney within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HowardCohodas Were you not within the military justice system at that time? Aren't the rules different than non-military? Yes I was however, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 52

Thread: 11 Reasons Not To Talk To The Police - Mark Sullivan, Palm Springs Defense Attorney

  1. #16
    Ex Member Array Treo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    Were you not within the military justice system at that time? Aren't the rules different than non-military?
    Yes I was however, I was mirandized when I was taken into custody.

    Also, Military justice (UCMJ) or not I would have had a real federal conviction on my record had I confessed.

    The crime was serious enough that just the fact that I had been arrested for it was enough to derail my security clearence 11 years later how much prison time do you think I would have got?


  2. #17
    VIP Member
    Array tacman605's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arkansas/On the X in Afghanistan
    Posts
    3,053
    Guys you talk about getting prison time and losing this and losing that are you guilty of something? If you have not committed a crime then you dont have to much to worry about.
    Everyone has a story of I had a friend of a friends, third cousins, brother in law who did this......if you dont want to talk to the officer dont but if LE and the legal system in your area is so corrupt and injust that you are convicted without evidence of a crime because you had an interview with the police and answered their questions you have much bigger problems to deal with.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

  3. #18
    Member Array MN2Go's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    MN, U.S.A.
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    If you have not committed a crime then you dont have to much to worry about.
    Excuse me ...

  4. #19
    Member Array 120mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by torgo1968 View Post
    I'm sure others can come up with different ways your encounter could have gone wrong, but this was the part that stood out to me. I'm assuming you told the police that there was a girl at the restaurant that would recognize you.

    What if, for any number of reasons, she had said, "Nope, I have no idea who he is." Now the police think you lied to them and have probably taken several more steps down the, "We got our guy," path.

    Asking for your attorney would have been more inconvenient to be sure, but it was only through luck that your talking to them didn't result in something much worse than an inconvenience.
    Meh. I'd rather not spend the weekend in a cell in a strange place, thank you.

    I didn't have an attorney then, or know anyone in the area, and couldn't really afford to drop a grand+ when a simple explanation would do.

    That, and I've seen attorneys talk their clients into charges out of incompetence, etc...

    I view "not talking to police" as pretty much akin to folks who've never fired a shot in anger being all wrapped up in which gun is .000000000000001% more reliable than the other. "Pole-vaulting over mouse turds" is the phrase for it.

  5. #20
    Member Array torgo1968's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    I view "not talking to police" as pretty much akin to folks who've never fired a shot in anger being all wrapped up in which gun is .000000000000001% more reliable than the other. "Pole-vaulting over mouse turds" is the phrase for it.
    Look, I know that if you are innocent, talking to the police is unlikely to be harmful, but Jesus, this is a horrible comparison. Not talking to the police is not some pointless, theoretical exercise with no real world implications.

  6. #21
    Member Array swatspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Guys you talk about getting prison time and losing this and losing that are you guilty of something? If you have not committed a crime then you dont have to much to worry about.
    Everyone has a story of I had a friend of a friends, third cousins, brother in law who did this......if you dont want to talk to the officer dont but if LE and the legal system in your area is so corrupt and injust that you are convicted without evidence of a crime because you had an interview with the police and answered their questions you have much bigger problems to deal with.
    This is a pretty bold statement in the Open Carry board... You should search for the stories of people who "did not commit a crime" and had A LOT to worry about when the police mishandled the situation.

  7. #22
    Ex Member Array Treo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,098
    Originally Posted by tacman605
    Guys you talk about getting prison time and losing this and losing that are you guilty of something? If you have not committed a crime then you dont have to much to worry about.
    You might want to actually read what I posted I commited no crime. The cop told me he knew I'd committed no crime and I had a hell of a lot to worry about.

  8. #23
    Member Array ckfarris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    213
    So if you guys are witness to a crime and the police ask to interview you about what you saw, you will choose to say nothing in fear that you could end up in jail yourself?
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’ — James Earl Jones, Actor

  9. #24
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Posts
    17,666
    For those who assume that not comitting a crime makes one innocent, explain that to the many comvicted felons who are being released after 10, 20, 30 years in prison when DNA proves they were, in fact, innocent.

    Lawyers, by profession, must be skilled speakers. If you don't think skilled speakers can convince a group of people that the speakers are right and you are wrong, look at the politicians who you believed and voted for!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

  10. #25
    Ex Member Array Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Guys you talk about getting prison time and losing this and losing that are you guilty of something? If you have not committed a crime then you dont have to much to worry about.
    Everyone has a story of I had a friend of a friends, third cousins, brother in law who did this......if you dont want to talk to the officer dont but if LE and the legal system in your area is so corrupt and injust that you are convicted without evidence of a crime because you had an interview with the police and answered their questions you have much bigger problems to deal with.
    So what you're saying is that it's ok to inadvertently incriminate yourself, spend PRE--TRIAL time in prison and incur tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees, so long as EVENTUALLY you're not convicted?

    That of course completely overlooks the many people who have gone to prison then later been exonerated.

    You grossly underestimate the stakes and the willingness of some to abuse the system.

    I've got two things to say in closing:

    Richard Jewell
    Duke lacrosse team

  11. #26
    Ex Member Array Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by ckfarris View Post
    So if you guys are witness to a crime and the police ask to interview you about what you saw, you will choose to say nothing in fear that you could end up in jail yourself?
    It depends. If there's even the SLIGHtest possibility that I could be a suspect, I won't be doing ANY talking without benefit of counsel. There's ZERO benefit to talking without legal representation and INFINITE risk.

  12. #27
    Member Array Gulf Girl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Yep.... Not a knock against LEO, just good common sense!

    X2

    It really bugs me when I'm watching a show like Cops on TV and they do a routine traffic stop and ask the driver "where are you going?" or "where are you coming from?".

    Personally... I'm an adult and I'm free to come and go as I please. If a cop pulls me over for speeding or a tail light out then fine... write me a ticket. Where I'm coming from or going to is none of their business.

    Of course I don't ever recall a police officer actually asking me that during a traffic stop.... but I see it on Cops all the time. Maybe it's just done for the "show"....I dunno... but I always find myself thinking...that's really none of the cop's business for a routine traffic stop.


    Quote Originally Posted by ckfarris View Post
    So if you guys are witness to a crime and the police ask to interview you about what you saw, you will choose to say nothing in fear that you could end up in jail yourself?

    Witnessing a crime and being suspected of a crime are 2 different things.

  13. #28
    jfl
    jfl is offline
    Distinguished Member Array jfl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach County, FL
    Posts
    1,485
    Like all blanket statements, we can argue this one ad nauseam.
    I think it depends what you are interrogated for.
    In my last 70 years, I have never been a suspect in a criminal case.
    My worst encounter with the law has been speeding on my Harley.
    Each time, so far, I voluntarily disclosed out of courtesy that I was carrying (not mandatory in Florida, and answered the Officer questions politely and calmly.
    Except once, I was told to pay more attention and let go without a ticket and we discussed bikes and guns for a while.

    Of course, were I involved in a SD shooting, I would certainly be polite but stick to the name, rank, s/n routine.

    As for many human events it is all a matter of circumstances.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

    jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

  14. #29
    Ex Member Array Deanimator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Rocky River, Ohio
    Posts
    908
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulf Girl View Post
    Witnessing a crime and being suspected of a crime are 2 different things.
    Just remember that it may not be obvious in which category you find yourself. The case of Richard Jewell comes to mind. He thought he was "helping" the FBI. They were actually trying to build a case against him without his knowledge.

    You can't trust that any explanations given to you are in fact true. That leaves you with the choice between blindly trusting a total stranger with unknown (and unknowable) motives and protecting your interests.

    If whatever information the police think I have is important enough to detain me for, it's important enough to wait for my lawyer to get there before they obtain it.

  15. #30
    Member Array 120mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    For those who assume that not comitting a crime makes one innocent, explain that to the many comvicted felons who are being released after 10, 20, 30 years in prison when DNA proves they were, in fact, innocent.

    Lawyers, by profession, must be skilled speakers. If you don't think skilled speakers can convince a group of people that the speakers are right and you are wrong, look at the politicians who you believed and voted for!
    You mean by the "Chicago Gullibility Project?"

    All that bunch of criminal lovers prove, in a lot of their cases, is that the guy who held her down while his buddies gang-raped and murdered her didn't leave enough DNA on the scene to prove it.

    Lots of those guys are in there for 'smother crimes. You know, everyone knows the guy is a thug, so they charge him with 'smother crimes just to get one to stick.

    I've known a couple guys who were released through this, and both of them needed to stay in.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Let's talk springs
    By C9H13NO3 in forum General Firearm Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 13th, 2010, 06:46 PM
  2. Don't Talk To Cops (Unless Your Attorney Is Present) - 5th Amendment Right!!!
    By Beachbumcook in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: January 24th, 2010, 06:59 PM
  3. Rolla Police Chief Mark Kearse - Straight talk.
    By tiwee in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: January 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM
  4. Man on bicycle shot, killed near Palm Springs
    By socuban in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 16th, 2008, 08:31 PM
  5. Let's Talk About Magazine Springs
    By QKShooter in forum Related Gear & Equipment
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: September 13th, 2005, 12:06 AM

Search tags for this page

10 reasons not to talk to the police

,
fear no death by mark sullivan
,

mark sullivan 11 reasons not to talk to the police

,
mark sullivan attorney dead
,
mark sullivan attorney death
,

mark sullivan attorney palm springs

,

mark sullivan attorney palm springs death

,
mark sullivan of palm springs recent news
,

mark sullivan palm springs

,
mark sullivan, attorney, palm springs
,
reasons not to join the police
,
reasons not to talk to the police
Click on a term to search for related topics.