11 Reasons Not To Talk To The Police - Mark Sullivan, Palm Springs Defense Attorney

This is a discussion on 11 Reasons Not To Talk To The Police - Mark Sullivan, Palm Springs Defense Attorney within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In the service I was a loner spending an inordinate amount of time in my room alone reading and listening to records while my roommate ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 11 Reasons Not To Talk To The Police - Mark Sullivan, Palm Springs Defense Attorney

In the service I was a loner spending an inordinate amount of time in my room alone reading and listening to records while my roommate partied. Most of those I worked with knew this as they partied with my roommate. Comments while working spread this to the NCO I worked for. So one evening I get a call from the MP office asking me to come down to the office. I worked on some of the guys cars so just thought it was something like that.

When I get there, 2 detectives from the city were waiting and took me into an interrogation room. They told me the wife of the NCO I worked for filed charges for some sexual thing and picked me out of the enlisted book. This crime was enough to put me in prison if it had been true. And of course being alone in my room would not be an alibi to them. They clearly believed they solved the case and that's when I told them what I did ......

Only by the grace of God did I choose that specific day and that specific time to visit some parent type friends who were well known in the city. I didn't hang out there but would see them now and them. The detectives were pissed and called the person to confirm it. Now they were REALLY pissed and asked me what I was doing there. But they had to release me.

I don't tell this story often because my life would have been entirely different had I not visited my friends that day. And this is exactly my point here.

Police do not always look at all possibilities when processing a crime. They stopped dead when I was picked out of the book. BTW, I have never met the NCO's wife, ever. People say sometimes they just make a mistake which I'll agree is probably the case here. However their "mistake" would have ruined my adult life, not theirs, not the victim's, just mine.

I respect LEOs as anybody reading my posts know. My concern is not them stopping me for a ticket, but being "chosen" as the perfect fit for a crime solution. It the justice system that scares me to death!!! That and the conviction scoring I see going on. It's a bad thing if the guy the police put to trial is found innocent. What did they do wrong, what did they not find to get the conviction? The scorecard in their files.

At one time the DA was sworn to discover the truth, but now they run for reelection on their conviction rates. Of course the cops involved are not favored by the DA when he loses a case. So you have good cops gone bad trying to keep up. Case in point is the Division (name?) in LA that was found to have a huge conspiracy to plant evidence to get the score.

Funny that came out not too long after Simpson was found innocent. As one who watched 90% of that actual trial, I agree with the verdict. There was evidence tampering, impossible claims made (which could not be substantiated) and wild assumptions by the prosecutor team that did more to prove he could not have done it than did. But when you heard the evening news, the lies about what was said in court made me sick.

So, I'll stop here with simply I do not trust my life with any part of the justice system. My strategy is to behave and stay out of their way. I drive very carefully and don't lose my temper, speaking well of everybody (easy because I like most people).

Will I answer questions by police? Some, but very carefully, telling them the basics as I recall them, and without lying. If they want to dig much I'll tell them of my training not to discuss and at that point politely and regretfully decline to answer further questions.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Funny that came out not too long after Simpson was found innocent. As one who watched 90% of that actual trial, I agree with the verdict. There was evidence tampering, impossible claims made (which could not be substantiated) and wild assumptions by the prosecutor team that did more to prove he could not have done it than did. But when you heard the evening news, the lies about what was said in court made me sick.
    Oh boy, derail coming....

It is entirely correct to say that the prosecution's performance was incompetent at best and negligent at worst. But despite that, there is no sane way that anyone can conclude that Simpson didn't kill those two people. That's moon landing hoax stuff.

VIP Member
    Old Lincoln, sorry you went through that. You talked to the investigators, gave a statement, told the truth and gave the facts as you knew them, they found you were telling the truth and let you go, you used your common sense.
    Yeah they may have been pissed but not because you were innocent, maybe because they now know the woman lied or was mistaken in her identification of you and they now have to start over.
    As far as OJ goes no one will ever know what happened, it was legal manuevering at its finest, in the criminal portion anyways. In the civil portion where a lot of the legal mumbo jumbo is not allowed he was found guilty and lost everything.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I was out running last night and had an epiphany:

How many folks on here advocating against talking to the police are outraged in other threads that families would shelter a murder suspect?

Rather than isolate myself from LEOs, I make it my business to appropriately engage them. Of course, I have an unfair advantage: I do a job that most LEOs identify with, and think is "cool" so they don't see me as some wannabe wanting to "see their gun".

I actually socialize with LEOs, shoot with them on the range and occasionally enjoy their company. Frankly, I think folks here are wearing the tinfoil hat "extra tight" and blowing isolated incidents out of proportion, to suit their agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Rather than isolate myself from LEOs, I make it my business to appropriately engage them. Of course, I have an unfair advantage: I do a job that most LEOs identify with, and think is "cool" so they don't see me as some wannabe wanting to "see their gun".
    I don't want to be a cop. I don't want to hang around with cops. I frequently see them say things which, to put it mildly, I find distasteful and which would cause me to avoid anyone else who said them.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    I actually socialize with LEOs, shoot with them on the range and occasionally enjoy their company. Frankly, I think folks here are wearing the tinfoil hat "extra tight" and blowing isolated incidents out of proportion, to suit their agendas.
    I have no desire to socialize with the police or to have any unnecessary contact with them. That's why I go out of my way to know and obey the law. It minimizes my contacts with them.

I don't want to be "buddies" with the police. I just want for BOTH of us to know and obey the law. I have no expectations beyond that.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    If you don't think skilled speakers can convince a group of people that the speakers are right and you are wrong, look at the politicians who you believed and voted for!
    Many of whom are/were prosecutors:

See:http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...her-never.html

for example of a State's Attorney General fooling folk, for years.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Administrator
    OK, enough is enough. This very topic has been hashed out over and over again, with several threads dedicated to the debate. It always ends badly, I'm closing this one. If you want to read more debate on this topic There is more to read than most of us have time for already anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links