Magazines for aluminum-frame 1911s

This is a discussion on Magazines for aluminum-frame 1911s within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've heard that using magazines with a standard follower in an aluminum-framed 1911 can gouge the feed ramp (if the follower impacts the feed ramp ...

Thread: Magazines for aluminum-frame 1911s

Magazines for aluminum-frame 1911s

I've heard that using magazines with a standard follower in an aluminum-framed 1911 can gouge the feed ramp (if the follower impacts the feed ramp under recoil after feeding the last round). Apparently rounded followers are required.

I just picked up a S&W 1911 ES (CCO size; commander-slide on officer's frame). It takes Officer's size magazines.
    The ones that came with it (manufactured by ACT for S&W) work OK but sometimes don't feed the last round smoothly (requiring a firm tap on the bottom of the magazine to seat the round).

Can anyone make a recommendation as to officer's size magazines with a rounded follower?

I've been told that CheckMate magazines with the hybrid feed lips and CheckMate follower are pretty good: CM45-7C-B-H Magaine - 6 & 7 Round Compact Magazines - Check-Mate Industries, Inc.

Thanks.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I have found it is hit or miss with aftermarket mags and my SA Champ LW. I tried Wilson 47d mags (poly follower) with some success. The factory mags should work flawlessly, if not contact S&W . I understand they have excellent customer service.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I doubt that Colt, Kimber and Springfield would supply magazines with steel followers in their alloy-framed guns if that was the case.

Unless you have a mag with an exceptionally loose follower, it should come close to but not actually touch the feed ramp.

But if the thought that such a collision might occur, then you can put those fears to bed by investing in either Wilson or Tripp mags, or both. These are premium magazines which happen to have non-metallic followers. OEM magazines from Kimber and Springfield have yet to impress me, whereas Wislon and Tripp have never, ever given me a problem. I may use some other brands of mags for the range, but when the 1911s are dressed for business they wear Wilson or Tripp exclusively.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Lead Moderator
    Gassmitty, I have found just the opposite. The factory SA mags have worked flawlessly while aftermarket mags have had issues.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I doubt that Colt, Kimber and Springfield would supply magazines with steel followers in their alloy-framed guns if that was the case.
    It isn't the standard followers that do it, it is the Devel style followers that can gouge the ramp, I've seen it.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

I use Metalform mags with round follower in my aluminum Pro Carry 10mm without issue.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Gassmitty, I have found just the opposite. The factory SA mags have worked flawlessly while aftermarket mags have had issues.
    Well, I've got three SA mags I would consider selling you in that case... one of 1990 vintage, and two from 2009. If your aftermarket mags are Wilson or Tripp, I'd be open to a trade as well.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    It isn't the standard followers that do it, it is the Devel style followers that can gouge the ramp, I've seen it.
    Which are neither Colt, Kimber, nor Springfield, right?

Sorry, not trying to be a PITA but the back pain isn't helping. To your knowledge, which aftermarket mags use the Devel-type followers?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Sorry, not trying to be a PITA but the back pain isn't helping. To your knowledge, which aftermarket mags use the Devel-type followers?
    I run Chip McCormick 8rd mags in my Springfield Mil-Spec (they're 100% reliable in it, go figure). These mags have the Devel-type follower that could, arguably, gouge the feed ramp on my new SW1911ES.

Here's the problematic type follower:

Rounded, CheckMate-type follower:

Polymer followers (on right):

The problem, as I understand it, is that the "sharp" follower can come forward and gouge the aluminum feed ramp under recoil after feeding the last round. It hasn't happened to my gun, but I've heard/seen horror stories.

I'm still looking for officer's-size magazines with a polymer or rounded follower. Any suggestions?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

OD*
    Colt has shipped with the "Shooting Star" followers, but their current magazine contractor is Check Mate and not Metalform (contractor of McCormick mags when I bought mine, I do not know if they are still using Metalform).

No apology necessary. Pete has beaten me to it though.
    Here is a handy chart;

~ Tiger McKee

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    I'm still looking for officer's-size magazines with a polymer or rounded follower. Any suggestions?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    The chart above should be of help, Pete.

~ Tiger McKee

Links