Trying to see the good in things...

This is a discussion on Trying to see the good in things... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Captain Kahr Slowly loosing faith in the SAPD... I'm sure I'm just another statistic and probably the 100th person that had his ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to see the good in things...

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kahr View Post
    Slowly loosing faith in the SAPD...

I'm sure I'm just another statistic and probably the 100th person that had his house/apartment broken into that day. Do they really not give a hoot about trying to track down this stuff? I've called four(4) times to the police department and left messages to the different places I've been transferred but no one will call me back. I have serial numbers for the TV's but more importantly for the gun they stole.

Maybe it's me and my emotions are still running kind of high but for Christ's sake...return my phone call...!!!
    sorry cap, but this is very low on there list of things to do. the .357 may be found if someone pawns it or in a bust. I would bet that there is no one actively looking to solve this.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post
    sorry cap, but this is very low on there list of things to do. the .357 may be found if someone pawns it or in a bust. I would bet that there is no one actively looking to solve this.
    Please believe me when I say that I'm not trying to be a smart arse in any way but...

What is "high" on their priority list. My insurance agent told me that theft in my area has gone up since last year. That's just the report from one agency.

Again...I'm not trying to slam anyone and I support the police and military every chance I get but...Outside of giving traffic tickets and RESPONDING to bad situations what do they REALLY do? In other words is the PD only reactive and not proactive?
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Please believe me when I say that I'm not trying to be a smart arse in any way but...

What is "high" on their priority list. My insurance agent told me that theft in my area has gone up since last year. That's just the report from one agency.

Again...I'm not trying to slam anyone and I support the police and military every chance I get but...Outside of giving traffic tickets and RESPONDING to bad situations what do they REALLY do? In other words is the PD only reactive and not proactive?
    The very nature of police is to be reactive. They can't really prevent crime.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Lets face it if they could "prevent crime" we wouldnt have half the members that we do on this site. I was having the conversation with my MIL last night that they police just take reports after the fact 90% of the time.

I'm really sorry for you lost property but even more so for the loss of your piece of mind. I hope they find the dirt bags.

Sorry for your woes, been there myself and I know that feeling when someone has been through your stuff. Hope they get caught, but if it ends up like my case, the detective will eventually just start dodging your calls.

Mine wasn't a .357, it was a Ruger P90 .45 ACP. Stolen from my daughters school parking lot-a Christian school. Go figure. Po-po said perps were thought to be from Memphis area, coming down and hitting school parking areas...

Soooo, looking at it trying to see the good in it, as you are trying to do, I did learn to never leave a firearm in my vehicle(s), and started carrying concealed thereafter. :-)

Hey Captain, I lament your troubles with you. My brother had the same happen to him a while back. I am shacking my head now, this stuff gets so old! Hope all works out ok is all I can say..
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by Slabsides45 View Post
    Sorry for your woes, been there myself and I know that feeling when someone has been through your stuff. Hope they get caught, but if it ends up like my case, the detective will eventually just start dodging your calls.

Mine wasn't a .357, it was a Ruger P90 .45 ACP. Stolen from my daughters school parking lot-a Christian school. Go figure. Po-po said perps were thought to be from Memphis area, coming down and hitting school parking areas...

Soooo, looking at it trying to see the good in it, as you are trying to do, I did learn to never leave a firearm in my vehicle(s), and started carrying concealed thereafter. :-)
    It's hard because you just can't lock EVERYTHING away. I will, however, have to make an extra trip to the safe each morning to put my nightstand gun away. I bought a safe last year and am grateful that I did that.

Now I can say that this incident has lit a fire under my arse and I took the day off yesterday to get that safe secured with 5" anchor bolts in the slab.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Sorry that this is the price for getting your wife to carry full time. Seems pretty steep. That absolutely stinks for the both of you and I'm sorry. With luck, they'll be having the BG soon. I have to say that you sound well in order.....good for you. Balance is not always easy to obtain.
    i understand your meaning but disagree that its a steep price...the burglary was going to happen whether she carried or not...an attack would have been a steep price to pay...something good came out of this...she understands the importance of carrying...

this does underscore the importance of locking away guns when not at home...a police officer in southern florida had a handgun stolen from between his mattresses during a break in....another gun on the street....just because there arent kids in the house doesnt mean there isnt the potential for the gun becoming a problem....

lock em up when you leave...retrieve em when you get home and put em where you want...and dont think for a minute you have a hiding place a thief cant find...

Quote Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
    i understand your meaning but disagree that its a steep price...the burglary was going to happen whether she carried or not...an attack would have been a steep price to pay...something good came out of this...she understands the importance of carrying...

this does underscore the importance of locking away guns when not at home...a police officer in southern florida had a handgun stolen from between his mattresses during a break in....another gun on the street....just because there arent kids in the house doesnt mean there isnt the potential for the gun becoming a problem....

lock em up when you leave...retrieve em when you get home and put em where you want...and dont think for a minute you have a hiding place a thief cant find...
    In a better world they would have been considered locked up...behind the doors of my house.

Unfortunately the true reality is that I got complacent and it cost me. All I can try to do is make it harder in case there is a "next time".

Try putting pictures and serial numbers on a cd or dvr using a scanner.You can keep it in a safe place such as a safety deposit box at the bank or an anchored fire rated safe at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Try putting pictures and serial numbers on a cd or dvr using a scanner.You can keep it in a safe place such as a safety deposit box at the bank or an anchored fire rated safe at home.
    Surprisingly I had model and serial numbers for most of the stuff taken. The insurance adjuster was impressed and to some degree so was I.

... our house had been broken into. During broad daylight ...

The good that has come out of this is my wife wanting to carry her Kahr P380 everywhere she goes. Up until now she had only viewed the gun as a home defense weapon. Now she's ready to carry 100% of the time.
    Sometimes, that's what it takes. This time, nobody was in the line of fire of the criminal's take-down of your house. Someone could easily have been inside and forced to suffer the risks of a home invasion. Potentially, targeted death or life-altering injury was that close.

A bit like making lemonade from a bunch of lemons, sure, but it's better now than coming around too late. Now, you'll be able to craft a team-oriented plan of attack that will be able to handle more facets of rough situations. Time to consider some serious instruction that can leverage both of you.

Kudos on the changes.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links