Trying to see the good in things...

This is a discussion on Trying to see the good in things... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was out of town Wednesday when I got a frantic call from my wife informing me that our house had been broken into. During ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to see the good in things...

I was out of town Wednesday when I got a frantic call from my wife informing me that our house had been broken into. During broad daylight to make it worse. Thank God no one was home.

The scum bags made off with the usual things like TV's, Xbox, digital camera etc...The one that stung the most was they stole the only other gun I don't keep in my safe. It was a stainless Taurus 627 which is a 7-shot .357 mag with a ported barrel. I just hate the thought that one of my guns is in the hands of BG's.

Of course I've had to deal with the peace of mind that gets "stolen" as well. I've had a tough time sleeping as every little noise brings curiosity. The good that has come out of this is my wife wanting to carry her Kahr P380 everywhere she goes. Up until now she had only viewed the gun as a home defense weapon. Now she's ready to carry 100% of the time. Music to my ears.

We hit the range yesterday and although she needs lots of work the session went very well and she really loved the gun. It had replaced her Ruger LCP since she couldn't get used to the long-long-very long trigger pull. She has committed to practicing more often and I've committed to being patient as she learns.

Anyhow I figure it will still be a couple of weeks before our lives are back to normal as we get things replaced and our front door fixed/replaced as that was the POE.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

http://designlinetx.com/

Hi Capt., sorry for your troubles! Hope all returns to normal soon! They may catch these guys, once they start, they usually do not stop until they are caught. They stand a good chance of walking in on someone who might be armed, lets hope!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Bummer. It sounds like you have everything in perspective though. Hopefully the insurance company will do right by you.

Distinguished Member
    Yes, bummer is right. Hopefully they will sell that gun to a nicer person.

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Yes, bummer is right. Hopefully they will sell that gun to a nicer person.
    I don't think I'm all that bad...

Distinguished Member
    Of course I meant NICER than the dirt bag who took it. :)

I better go double up on my coffee and quit typing........

Hope the dirt bags are caught.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Of course I meant NICER than the dirt bag who took it. :)

I better go double up on my coffee and quit typing........
    I was just messing with you...it gave me a good chuckle as I read it. If that was the only thing that they recovered I'd feel like it was a victory for the good side.

Distinguished Member
    Sorry that this is the price for getting your wife to carry full time. Seems pretty steep. That absolutely stinks for the both of you and I'm sorry. With luck, they'll be having the BG soon. I have to say that you sound well in order.....good for you. Balance is not always easy to obtain.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Sorry to hear that Cap, but it could've been a lot worse. Hopefully they catch the spineless cowards and recover the pistol unused.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Moderator
    Sorry to hear that about your break-in.

It is good that your wife is starting to carry now.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Slowly loosing faith in the SAPD...

I'm sure I'm just another statistic and probably the 100th person that had his house/apartment broken into that day. Do they really not give a hoot about trying to track down this stuff? I've called four(4) times to the police department and left messages to the different places I've been transferred but no one will call me back. I have serial numbers for the TV's but more importantly for the gun they stole.

Maybe it's me and my emotions are still running kind of high but for Christ's sake...return my phone call...!!!

I can empathize with you...Years ago, while single, I lived in a single wide MH. I came home one night about 9 p.m and the back door was standing wide open. I kinda suspected what happened. Went inside, they got all my stereo gear and speakers that I brought home from overseas. I wanted to throw up and was mad as heck at the same time. LEO's showed up, looked around, said "Yup, you been robbed and they might come back. Do you have a weapon?" When I replied in the affirmative, he said it might be nice just to kick back in the house, unwind with the lights out and the back door open, and see if they come back. I tried that a couple times over the next few days but "no joy". The sad part was that after the investigation was completed, it turns out the robbery occured during broad daylight and my neighbors, who I didn't know at the time, watched them carry the stuff out the back door, across a field, and load it into a pickup truck. You would have thought that would have been a bit strange...but..oh well...I moved on.

Sorry to hear about your losses. Hopefully they will catch the dirtbags.

BE SAFE!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The same thing happened to me several years ago, and you never get over the feeling, especially women--my wife jumps at every sound the house makes.

In spite of our desires to defend our homes with whatever firearm or weapon one chooses, the fact is the majority of break-ins occur when no one is home, thus negating our human defenses.

A good alarm system, secure doors and windows are your best defense. The LEO investigating our robbery told me not to depend on a dog of any type. He said a shot of wasp spray is more effective than mace on a dog and the BGs know it. Puts them right down. A dog may deter the teen amateur thief looking to raise some quick cash, but not the experienced professional.

Deadbolts, of course, but pay close attention to the door frame. Most are made of wood, many of cheap pine (like mine), which will splinter no matter how strong the locks are.

Hopefully the gun will be recovered and returned, although the odds are slim. In my case, the list of makes/models/serial #s was in the briefcase they stole.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Not trying to make you feel worse, my guns, 8 of them, and one was handed down thru the family, were stolen almost 30 years ago. It STILL bothers me when I think about it! It's true, at that time I didn't have a safe. That was my fault and it's since been corrected. You're doing all that you can, the wife is carrying now, you're probably NOT leaving a gun out of the safe anymore, and you're going to increase the strength of your doors now,right? By that, I mean the frames, screws, etc.
    Unfortunately, sometimes all we can take away from something like this are lessons.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links