Went out shooting today and OUCH!!!

This is a discussion on Went out shooting today and OUCH!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wanted to get out today and give my two snubbies a work out.So I made up some hot loads for my Charter Arms Bulldog ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I wanted to get out today and give my two snubbies a work out.So I made up some hot loads for my Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 special.Well after the 2nd shot my trigger finger was bleeding and I had to stop on shot number 9.My hand was numb and it felt like my thumb was broken.All this time I tought full power loads in a airweight 357 was bad.But let me tell you that full power loads in an Airweight 44 special are much worse.I never did get to shoot my J frame as my hand was done for the day.
    Attached Images
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Distinguished Member
    Ha. I can relate. I had to finish a class once with duct tape on my finger (J-frame). I think I permanetly damaged my hand, really. Ibuprophen up.

Yeah I can relate. I have CTC laser grips on my 642 and they do help absorb about 30% of the recoil. I usually limit the rounds to about 30 and I move on to another gun.
    The snubbies are not "fun" to shoot but still a necessity.

I just qualified for my HR218 permit with both my 40 and my 38 2" Airweight, 50 shots each. The 50 in the 38 were much more memorable than the 50 in the 40!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I like snubbies because of their size and usefulness. I hate snubbies becuase of thier size when paired with a higher caliber... Bad memories of a .44special. I feel your pain man.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Yeah those light-weights can be harsh. Hope those shooting hands heal soon!

My right hand is still sore this morning.My thumb is still throbbing but I think I will be OK.Can't wait to get out again next week.

Distinguished Member
    Must have wiped it down prior to taking the pics. I see no meat or blood hanging from it. Yeah, this one looks like you gotta cowboy up. Kind of glad it's yours.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I would have stopped after the second shot and thrown those cartridges in the woods. Not worth it IMHO.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Guess you figured out the equation for calculating the energy of a cartridge; if it hurts to shoot it, it's hot! A few hundred more rounds and you'll get used to it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Must have wiped it down prior to taking the pics. I see no meat or blood hanging from it. Yeah, this one looks like you gotta cowboy up. Kind of glad it's yours.
    Yes I did wipe it down.There was no meat on it but there was quite a bit of blood.

I borrowed MN2go's Beretta .25 auto and fired 5 rounds. I was left with three bleeding cuts on the web between my thumb and forefinger from the hammer. I think I'll stick to an LCP or PF9, thanks.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

My Ruger SP-101 gun is supposed to be able to shoot .357s, and it hurts my hand and trigger finger and is not heaven. I will also shoot them in my smaller Smith Model 60, just to get rid of them, and then stick to shooting .38s; guns for which I should have bought in the first place.

You need to get a better grip, something like a rubber Hogue grip, that will allow you to grip the gun; When you fire the gun the recoil is driving the pistol upward, the grip is slipping in your hand as this happens and that is what is tearing your fingers up. Trust me, get the rubber grip and that problem will go away.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I shoot hundreds of rounds in my bone stock 442 (38+Ps) and SP101 (.357 mag 158gr) at a time with no issues. It gets my attention, but isn't painful. I've never shot a 44 special, so I can't really compare. I did shoot a tiny Kel Tec .380 of a friends a few weeks ago and it was painful for me. Fat hands and fingers made it tough for me and after about 5 shots, I was done. I think hand fit and having a grip that helps with hand fit makes a big difference.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links