At BassPro: My good deed for the day

This is a discussion on At BassPro: My good deed for the day within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I stopped by the local BassPro to lay in shotgun ammo for a class I am taking this weekend. Surprisingly enough, they were fairly ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At BassPro: My good deed for the day

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

So, I stopped by the local BassPro to lay in shotgun ammo for a class I am taking this weekend. Surprisingly enough, they were fairly well stocked with pistol ammo for a change, too.

As I am shopping, an older gentleman walks up to the pistol ammo with one of the employees; the shopper is clearly looking for help on picking out pistol ammo. The conversation quickly demonstrates that the shopper is clueless, and the employee isn't helping much. I think I succeeded in not laughing too obviously when the employee explained, "It's called 'forty Smith & Wesson' because S&W owns that ammunition, but you can still shoot it in a SIG-Sauer." [Emphasis mine.] The employee then went on to say something about "JPH" [sic] ammo, using the phrase "JPH" a couple of times, and then talking about hollow-points as if they were something different from this mysterious "JPH".

*sigh*

The shopper gets on the phone to call his wife, who apparently owns the gun in question and sent him out to buy some "practice ammo". It's pretty clear she doesn't know much more in order to be able to guide his quest...

So, I politely asked if he needed a little help, and mentioned that I am a pretty serious pistol shooter so I thought I could help clear things up for him.

It seems the wife had a brand new SIG P239. I asked if he was certain it was forty caliber, since that gun comes a couple different ways. The answer was somewhat disturbing: "Yes, it is; that's what the salesman said."

So, I explained that the name of the cartridge and the name of the gun manufacturer don't really have anything to do with each other; let him know that for training she wanted to use FMJ; and that they should probably do a little bit of research and test-firing to decide what JHPs they might want to use for defense.

He seemed appreciative, and he probably had the pleasure of returning to his wife having bought the right thing. I have no problem with anybody going out and buying a gun (and found it particularly noteworthy that the wife had bought a gun and not just because the husband is a shooter, which he clearly isn't), but I'd be happier if people learned a little bit more about what they were getting than these two seem to. Here's hoping they enjoy learning.

(Funniest moment... He seemed to get that ".40S&W" doesn't mean it is made by or for just Smith & Wessons, then asked, "So, does SIG make their own ammo?" I didn't have the heart to try and explain 357SIG at that point! )
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Some times gun stores employ people who know very little about firearms or ammo. I posted a few months back about a clerk at my local shop trying to convince a customer to shoot steel case Wolf ammo through the DPMS he was purchasing. DPMS explicitly states that their chambers are not chrome lined and that steel cased ammo will cause premature wear. Moral to the story is don't believe everything as salesman tells you. After all....They're salesmen.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    (Funniest moment... He seemed to get that ".40S&W" doesn't mean it is made by or for just Smith & Wessons, then asked, "So, does SIG make their own ammo?" I didn't have the heart to try and explain 357SIG at that point! )

That could have sent him running for the parking lot (empty handed)!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

That sounds like someone who would benefit from some training....like an NRA course....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

JT
    I had a good deed episode at Cabelas a few months back. An elderly couple came in looking for something for self-defense in their home. The gentleman was mid 70’s (guessing), bent over and walking with a cane. Watching him handle the firearms, it was clear that he did not have a whole lot of strength any more. So imagine my horror when the clerk showed them a 12 gauge pump shotgun with a pistol grip and went on and on about what a good choice it would be for them.

I didn’t want to get into it with the “expert” behind the counter (who was oozing with gun guru bravado), so I waited until he went to see if they had one in box in the back, and gave the couple a quick run down on the many reasons why the firearm in question was not a good idea. I tried to soften the blow to the gentlemen’s ego by saying I myself would not want that kind of recoil directed into my wrist and elbow.

They were both appreciative, especially the wife. I would have stuck around to help them, but the gentleman seemed a little dismissive. I think it was an ego thing. Probably hard to have some younger guy give him advice on how to protect his family. Unfortunate, but understandable. Hopefully my 2-3 minutes of advice steered them in a better direction.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Scary, huh?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Well good on you for helping someone out. I think that being knowledgeable without being "that guy" is generally really appreciated by most people!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Why not really throw him for a loop and mention .45GAP??

Guns are kind of expensive, you'd think people would want to make sure they at least know what caliber they are before purchasing...

Wish I worked at a gun store just to hear some of the things people say, and to correct them politely and explain everything out. I really hope everyone in these stories got what they wanted and learned something at the same time.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Now a good salesman would have just sold him a Smith and Wesson pistol to go with the .40 S&W ammo that he needed.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Now a good salesman would have just sold him a Smith and Wesson pistol to go with the .40 S&W ammo that he needed.
    ...as well as a box or two of 9mm Luger!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Maybe you could have even thrown in a lesson on 45 Long Colt. Seriously though, great story and kudos for helping the guy. +1
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Gun and hunting stores seem to have retail and sales assoicates, and browsers and customers, who know more. There is no problem getting wise advice or a discussion going...with maybe a little ********.

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    I had a good deed episode at Cabelas a few months back. An elderly couple came in looking for something for self-defense in their home. The gentleman was mid 70’s (guessing), bent over and walking with a cane. Watching him handle the firearms, it was clear that he did not have a whole lot of strength any more. So imagine my horror when the clerk showed them a 12 gauge pump shotgun with a pistol grip and went on and on about what a good choice it would be for them.

I didn’t want to get into it with the “expert” behind the counter (who was oozing with gun guru bravado), so I waited until he went to see if they had one in box in the back, and gave the couple a quick run down on the many reasons why the firearm in question was not a good idea. I tried to soften the blow to the gentlemen’s ego by saying I myself would not want that kind of recoil directed into my wrist and elbow.

They were both appreciative, especially the wife. I would have stuck around to help them, but the gentleman seemed a little dismissive. I think it was an ego thing. Probably hard to have some younger guy give him advice on how to protect his family. Unfortunate, but understandable. Hopefully my 2-3 minutes of advice steered them in a better direction.
    Geeez, no kidding. I'm a middle-aged big guy with very thick hands and wrists...and I shoot a lot. 5 rounds of 12ga 00 Buck through my Mossy 500 pistol grip and I'm done shooting for a little while. I just can't imagine the gentleman you described firing it. If he did, I would hope he hit whatever he's aiming at the first time, because I get the feeling either he wouldn't be holding it after that or he would be in the floor.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links