Defensive Carry banner

Glock 26 opinions needed

4K views 34 replies 27 participants last post by  ASSA9 
#1 ·
To those of you who have experience with the Glock 26,do you like it? I like the size and have read very little negative about it. I watched a YouTube video and it appears high capacity mags from certain other Glock models will fit? True?

Thanks

#2 ·
AFAIK, any glock magazine will work with any glock, with the exception of Generation IV. (And the calibers match, of course.) They changed the magazine release on the Gen IV models, so the mags aren't interchangeable.

So yes, a larger 9mm glock mag (Gen 1-3) will work in a Gen 1-3 G26. Glock does that on purpose.

Now, the G26, I don't own one, but my HPD buddy does. I'm not crazy about it. It doesn't suit me. I don't care for Glocks. Just my personal opinion.

And you will have a hard time finding stories of glocks failing. Especially a 9mm Glock. I would think they are one of the most reliable semi-automatics made. (Some will argue they are THE most reliable.)

Before you get a G26, at least look at the Springfield XD 9 subcompact and the S&W M&P 9 compact. That way you at least looked at other options.

#3 ·
I've had my Glock 26 for about 2 years now and I love it! To answer your question about the magazines, yes, the high capacity 9mm mags do fit in the G26. I have two 15 round magazines and three 10 round magazines that I use in my G26. Obviously I only use the 15 round magazines while at the range.... I wouldn't use them for EDC because I wouldn't be able to conceal the protruding magazine.

The only thing I don't like about the Glock is the take down levers.... they are a pain in the butt because they are nearly flush with the side of the gun.... meaning you have to use your fingernails to dig in and pull them down. I use a rubber jar gripper instead as I'm a woman and don't want my fingernails shredded. Another member here mentioned they have replacement levers you can install that extend a little further making it easier.... but I just deal with it. That's honestly my only complaint. I love my Baby Glock :smile:

#4 ·
The G26 is perhaps the "gold standard" of sub-compact 9mms. There is very little bad to say about them, save perhaps that - as double stacks - they are wider than some other pistols in the same category. Of course, for that extra width you get extra rounds, so....

That said, I would also look at the G19 (and similar XD/M&P models if they suit you). For no extra width and not too much extra height/length, you have one of the finest CC/multi-purpose handguns ever made.

#5 ·
No G26 but a G30. Have only heard of good from those who own them in 99.99% of cases. One Glock is pretty much the same as another except in overall size. I find fieldstripping the Glock very easy. Takes about one second. I did, however, replace the slide stop lever (the one that locks the slide back when empty) for my personal preference. Other than that, all stock.

#6 ·
I love my G26 ,but make sure the finger groves fit your hand because
for some people it a deal breaker.
For me its a great fit .:smile:
This is mine at 15 yards, off hand shooting.

#7 ·
I love my G26! Got it for Christmas last year and it's rarely out of my sight or reach. It should be the standard by which all sub 9's are rated, just my opinion. And to reaffirm mags from the 19's and 17's work just fine as gold. Just take your pick the 26=10 rds, 19 =15rds, and the 17=17 rds. They all work well in the 26, just got some mag hanging down with the higher cap's. I carry with the standard 10 in mine with whatever suits me for spares. Hope that helps. Lot's of excellent little nines out there. Whatever you like..

#11 ·
I agree 100% I plan on buying a 19 in the next few months to keep my 26 company. My 26 is a bit small but I have small hands. The 19 does fit me better, but no problem with my 26 either. They both rock!

#10 ·
I don't have one. The smallest Glock I like is the 19/23 size.

That having been said, somebody (Pierce?) makes an adapter which fastens onto a longer Glock magazine, filling the gap between the bottom of the grip and the floor plate so that when used in the smaller guns, there's no play. I've seen them at gunshows here.

#13 ·
What are going to use it for? Concealed carry or other? I have a 27. It is easy to shoot and easy to conceal. I have only put 150 FMJ and HPs through mine. May be foolish but I still trust it without a break in period. But that's why BUG is a snubby.

#14 ·
Yes, concealed carry.I have an XD9sc,which is a great gun. I want a Glock because of their reputation of durability. In the past,I purchased some less expensive brands,unfortunately. Like most people,I do not really need one,but can you have too many? :rofl:

#16 ·
I have been carrying a GLOCK 19 for close to a year now and I love it. I also use it at the range and for competition, a truly perfect all-around 9mm pistol.:35:

When I first met a 26 at Gander Mountain several months ago I had real issues with my unsupported pinky finger. For several months I've been bragging about my GLOCK 19 around my wife until she tells me STFU.:aargh4: She finally decides that she needs a drink of the Kool-aid. I let her try the 19 on for size and it just didn't fit her hand at all, ruh-ro, something other than a GLOCK-say it isn't so:gah:.

So a few months later we finally make it to a city with a gun shop and we try XD's, M&P'S, SR9's, and finally GLOCK. They didn't have a 26 but they had a 27 with pinky extensions on the mags. That was what fit her best, go figure.:tired: Must be the length/width combo that agreed with her hand. Sadly they were out of 26's so we wait.

I was finally able to snag one and give it to her for mother's day and I also added the Pearce pinky extensions to the magazines. We haven't made it to the range yet, hope to this weekend, but she loves it so far. I must confess that it feels pretty damn good in my hand also.

You cannot go wrong with a 9mm GLOCK. The magazines from the rest of the 9mm GLOCKs will all fit the 26, for double extra fun get yourself a GLOCK brand 33-round magazine:image035:.

#18 ·
#20 ·
Well, you ought to know by now that I'm all for Glocks. The G26 is nice, and matter of fact, it's the last one I've purchased, and it was for my wife's carry that it was purchased for. I've been carrying a G27 for almost ten years, and I can't really tell that much difference so therefore I'd rather do the G27 and feel confident in my wife's abilities with her G26 which she is more than adept with BTW. I'd call the G26 sweet where I'd call the G27 small business. It's not a caliber ordeal with me because I do like the 9mm, just in a larger package. Yes...you can use the G19 and G17 magazines in the G26..but to what end if you're going to conceal? Glock does make a factory +2 magazine for the G26 which is more than adequate IMO but of course it still adds to the grip enough to portray a G19. As far as getting the G26 and contemplating the thoughts of using the larger pistol magazines in the sub-compact, I'd stick to the next level up instead of stepping up two. In other words, maybe think about the G19 mags for your spares, backups, or range magazines with the G26. If you want to go larger, let's say using the G17 mags in a G26, then I would highly recommend using the grip adapters. If you really like the size of the G26.....and you consider carrying it....then I'd figure on sticking with the G26 specific magazines. But if you're thinking you can use your extra G17 or G19 magazines in the G26 for range practice....then knock yourself out. IMO...carrying a G26 with a G17 magazine would kind of defeat the purpose. The G26 with a G19 magazine carried is just the same as carrying a G19. What's above the belt is what makes the difference in concealment. The pinkie extension bases are nice for the sub-compact Glocks IMO. But I've gone away from the +1 bases and went with the basic on a couple of my G27 mags. It's all in the profile for me. I've carried all of the Glock frame sizes with the exception of the G36 which is of it's own. I'm no expert, but I've learned a lot. Concealing has no compromise. Find the limitations, and know what you need to do to do your best with what you choose. You can always change what you've chosen...adapt, and modify nearly everything under your control. You've got to start somewhere.....we all do. IMO, the G26 would be an excellent choice and might very well be your true love. There's only one way to find out. Best thing about the Glock standard frames........lots of holster fit all. My best to you in your Glock acquisition. The G26 may change your life. Glock has made mine.

#21 ·
The Glock-26 is also my last purchase. I carry a Glock-36, but I sometimes will take the Glock-26 instead...either gun is a winner.:yup:

#22 ·
Not much to not like in the 19 or 26. Both are great handguns.

#23 ·
The G26 is my carry option. Whether with 10 round mag with pinky extension or 15 round mag with spacer. Both ways feel good in my hand and I shoot it well. No complaints since first round fired.

#24 ·
My departments investigators carry G 26 and G 27. They are reliable on the range but just about everyone has a finger extension on the magazine. I personnally agree with the previous post that said to check out the G 19. I carry a G 23 and except for ankle carry which I do not use I can carry that weapon anywhere you can carry a G 26 or 27. My .02.

#30 ·
reference?

there's no point in buying a subompact, and them extending the grip length.

if that's the case, just buy a 19/23 in the first place.

the grip is the hardest part of a pistol to conceal.

i personally don't see the point in the glock subcoms--they're only a half inch shorter at both ends, while loosing 5 rounds. they're not much lighter either.

#28 ·
I recently switched my EDC from a Taurus PT709 to a Taurus PT145 to a Glock 26 and I could not be happier with the Glock. I have total faith in the reliability and it's just a super sweet package for CCW. Good capacity, low recoil, accurate, etc etc etc. If you decide to go with the 26 I have a piece of advice however. I know a lot of it is personal preference but I bought the pearce pinky extensions for both my mags straight off the bat. After about a week though I decide to take them off and try carrying with the standard mag plates. The gun carries a LOT better for me with the standard mag plates and shoots just as well. I plan on picking up some GAP plates in the next week to give those a shot. The advice is I would suggest taking it to the range and carrying it for a bit without the grip extensions to see how you like it.

#32 ·
I own a Glock 26, 19, 17, 36, 21 and have fired most of the others. As far as function it just doesn't get any better than a Glock, no other pistol even comes close to their record of firing without a malfunction. As far as my favorite, it is the middle model, Glock 19. It is just as easy to conceal as the 26 because almost everyone either chooses a longer magazine or puts a plus 2 grip extension on the 26's 10 round magazine. As far as function the 26 shoots fine, but I do much better with my 19. As far as the 45's I prefer the 36 due to it's thin single stack grip with a grip extension. All the Glocks are thick, which makes them harder to conceal when wearing light summer clothing in our Texas heat, so I carry my Walther PPK/s or Walther PPS as a pocket gun. Both of these firearms are thin, easy to conceal, accurate and dependable.

#33 ·
The grip length between the 26 and 19 is pretty significant. I posted the analogy elsewhere but you don't get 50% more capacity for free or else we'd extrapolate that 'no impact' and all have G18 33rd mags with sleeves and little sacrifice.

It may not matter as much to certain people but try the following - take your G26 with flat mag and throw it in your pocket, now try the same gun with G19 mag and spacer - night and day difference. Put on a T-shirt and shorts, use an IWB at 4 o'clock, bend at the waist completely over with the stock mag, now swap to the G19 mag and spacer, turn around and examine in a mirror. Even +1 and +2 extensions are angled to make the butt less noticable although they reduce the benefit.

I'm not saying the G19/23 is hard to conceal (I carry 15 rounds when able), I'm saying that 10 vs. 15 round capacity doesn't happen in an invisible 4th dimension and shouldn't be written off completely without some evaluation of your needs - a 50% increase in anything carries a cost and this is it otherwise why not 100% if it's so easy. For me - I like the ability to pocket carry, though I rarely use it. I also have kids and am active in shorts/t-shirt in the summer. The flat mags make all this along with concealability in any environment much more feasible.

As always YMMV. Good luck with the Glock.

#34 ·
glock 26

i have a 26 i think its the best gun i own its small and its reliable only thing i done was put in a 3.5lbs trigger just my pref not really needed though!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.