The public range... you just can't make this stuff up...

This is a discussion on The public range... you just can't make this stuff up... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I must confess that I have shot the wrong target stand in the past. Not at a 25-yd indoor range, but... And the business of ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The public range... you just can't make this stuff up...

I must confess that I have shot the wrong target stand in the past. Not at a 25-yd indoor range, but...

And the business of the big Ka-Boom - Yeah, been there, too. Some guns just aren't polite at an indoor range. I once rented a .454 Casull (sp?) and while I was having the time of my life with it, the people on either side of me were clearly not enjoying the experience as much. I took it back to the counter and went back to my .45.

2. Remove Ads

Stories like this always make me so happy that I own land. I've only been to a public range a few times... and only because I was shooting with my brother in law / some friends and the location worked out to be easiest for all. Luckily I have yet to encounter anybody who was story worthy.
    Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    #2 "jumpy aren't we?"
    At an indoor range sighting in and testing function of a recent repair on my S&W 29-2. Firing at a target 20 yards away. The procedure is as follows.
    fire 4 rounds,
    unload,
    check target,
    adjust as necessary,
    reload 4 rounds (repeat)
    Well about the time I was at the unload/check target part someone approaches the stall next to me. All I see is the muzzle it was an OD green frame polymer auto loader of some sort. Judging by the muzzle flash, report and target's hole size I would guess 9mm.

Any who I went back to check the target, it was a good group and pretty well on target. I load up 6 rounds and on the first shot I hear a *KLUNK* and a gasp... I immediately cease fire, unlock the cylinder, put it down muzzle downrange and step back to see what happened. Well the guy next to me I guess wasn't expecting the muzzle flash or report he told me he thought he had a KB almost had a heart attack. I apologized, he moved a few stalls down.

Similar story.

My buddy and I were at an indoor range (it being winter and a bit chilly); this range allows you to do some rapid fire, or come up from a low ready, if the right guy is working the range and it's a dead afternoon...which it was; beisdes a couple of guys at the far end of the range, my buddy and I had the range to ourselves.

A gentleman arrives, and begins setting up to sight in a .22, right next to our lane. My buddy and I are practicing double taps, mozambiques, all that fun stuff...and he comes over and tells us that our practice is making it difficult for him to concentrate, could we please refrain.

Except he wasn't nearly as polite as I just typed it.

We suggested that since we had been at the range for close to an hour before he arrived, he may want to move down to a different lane; he looked at us like we had lobsters crawling out of our ears. The lane he was on had better light. We should acommodate him and move down (moving all of our attendant range bags, etc, etc, etc...). My buddy looked at me and said that we're just going to take a few more shots, we'll be leaving soon--that he should go ahead and shoot.

The gentleman gives us a pained look for daring to interfere with his plans, and resumes his sighting in.

My buddy removes his 4" .500 S&W from his range bag.

If you've ever been in an indoor range when one of these monsters is uncorked, you know how the concussion is...a bit extreme. Let alone the muzzle flash.

The gentleman left without even bidding us good day.

When we signed out, the guy working the range was laughing...seems this gentleman is a bit of a pain in the keister, they had issues with him before, and he was just an all around unpleasant person...and he swore he'd never go that particular range again.

We got free passes for our next visit.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I think If you shoot enough it happens

Recently- I was at an out door range but the way there lines are set in relation to the cover overhead a short barreled pistol makes quite the reverb. Just yesterday I picked up my Taurus 709 Slim and a teen girl next to me was saying oww everytime I pulled the trigger. I checked to make sure brass wasn't hitting her, I decided to put it away. I didn't want to make the range a negative experience for her, sometimes consideration is also courtesy.

I have a remington 700 BDL in 7MM rem mag. it's not the biggest round in the world but the 360 degree porting 3 inches back the 26 inch barrel usually buys me plenty of space at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    When we signed out, the guy working the range was laughing...seems this gentleman is a bit of a pain in the keister, they had issues with him before, and he was just an all around unpleasant person...and he swore he'd never go that particular range again.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    ...he told me he thought he had a KB almost had a heart attack.
    What's a KB?

Be happy you have a public range. The National Forest Service shut down ours.

Cuda66--I came in one time and there was one guy on a 5-lane range. He was on one wall. I took the opposite. As soon as I shot a little .44Mag and he left. Apparently, on his way out, he asked the owner's girlfriend what I was shooting. She smiled and said, "Knowing him--probably a .44 or .45."

I don't know if he was already leaving or if I ran him off. I don't know what I could've done to be more considerate.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    What's a KB?

Be happy you have a public range. The National Forest Service shut down ours.
    KB = Kaboom

I am happy I have access to a public indoor range... what isn't so nice is some of the experiences you acquire there.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

KB? Is that a KaBoom! Maybe? (edit-razor beat me by a minute)

I've always been just a little envious of those guys with .44's and .45's, but I'll soon be one of them. I'm getting a Colt 1911 later today.

I get nervous when I see a group of people huddled around a stall and amongst them is a jacket with "instructor" on it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    Similar story.

My buddy and I were at an indoor range (it being winter and a bit chilly); this range allows you to do some rapid fire, or come up from a low ready, if the right guy is working the range and it's a dead afternoon...which it was; beisdes a couple of guys at the far end of the range, my buddy and I had the range to ourselves.

A gentleman arrives, and begins setting up to sight in a .22, right next to our lane. My buddy and I are practicing double taps, mozambiques, all that fun stuff...and he comes over and tells us that our practice is making it difficult for him to concentrate, could we please refrain.

Except he wasn't nearly as polite as I just typed it.

We suggested that since we had been at the range for close to an hour before he arrived, he may want to move down to a different lane; he looked at us like we had lobsters crawling out of our ears. The lane he was on had better light. We should acommodate him and move down (moving all of our attendant range bags, etc, etc, etc...). My buddy looked at me and said that we're just going to take a few more shots, we'll be leaving soon--that he should go ahead and shoot.

The gentleman gives us a pained look for daring to interfere with his plans, and resumes his sighting in.

My buddy removes his 4" .500 S&W from his range bag.

If you've ever been in an indoor range when one of these monsters is uncorked, you know how the concussion is...a bit extreme. Let alone the muzzle flash.

The gentleman left without even bidding us good day.

Reminds me of a Bill Engvall story, having to deal with a difficult person.
    "When I woke up this morning, I didn't want to be a jack@$$, but you just pushed my jack@$$ button."
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Kewel stories! Love 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    During one of my military M-16 quals, the instructor commented that I must be one heck of a shot. He counted 75 holes in my 60-shot qual. Strangely, the guys on either side of me failed to qualify. I took my "expert" qual and ran with it! (I did qual as expert every time before and after, but never managed to get more than 60 after that.)
    I've got a similar to share....

When I was stationed at Holloman AFB, NM, I was qualifying for my third time w/the M16. I'd previously qual'd Expert 18 months previously, so knew it wasn't such a big deal if I did so again - the USAF only awards the Expert Ribbon one time for each weapon you make Expert with, tho you can get a device if you Qual Expert on the M9 after making it w/the M16, and vice versa. But, I digress....

There was this young female airman who was having all kinds of trouble shooting just to sight in. She was in tears after the sight in because she just knew she wasn't going to qualify. She was Category C, so only needed something like 15 rounds to make the basic Qualification minimum, but was barely getting her shots on paper - let alone in the black. We took a short break as they were short on Instructors and one of them needed to go back to the building, so we had about fifteen minutes to B.S. She was young, cute and desperate to qualify, as apparently this was her second time around. I tried to tell her that it wasn't such a big deal and that the CATMS folks would likely give her plenty of extra time to shoot after the buzzer would sound - which they did.

But, it didn't do much good to boost her confidence. She was absolutely sure that she wasn't going to pass - again. And get a rash of crap from her supervisor - again.

So, I did the stupid, manly, overly-impulsive thing and helped her out. I was also Cat C at the time, so also only needed 15 for basic Qualification. The instructor shook her head when counting mine and informed me that she only counted 35 on the paper out of 50, but that I had gotten at least 30 in the black, so was good. She knew what happened and just sorta smirked out me, gave me a pat on the shoulder and walked off.

The young airman was quite chuffed to have made it with 17 total qualifying, tho didn't catch it when the CATMS Instructor mentioned that she had more than 50 rounds on paper. The young female felt so relieved that she practicly floated from the firing line to the building.

Yeah, I shouldn't have done it, as it's possible that I was setting her up for failure, but I think all she needed was that little bit of confidence boost that she could indeed do it.

I've got another story involving one of my current troops and a .50 AE Desert Eagle fired at two different ranges. I won't go in to all the details, but each time he took those first shots, the firing quickly tapered off to nothing with folks sticking their heads out of stalls at the indoor range or along the backs of the other folks at an outdoor range. I was standing next to him in a separate lane when he fired indoors that first time - I could feel the overpressure of those shots, man! A guy three lanes down said he could feel it, as well.
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Reminds me of a Bill Engvall story, having to deal with a difficult person.
    "When I woke up this morning, I didn't want to be a jack@$$, but you just pushed my jack@$$ button."
    Screw that guy. He don't like it, he can move out and go to another lane or range. And if he gives you problems, let the range officer know. You are doing things consistent with the rules since the range allows rapid fire. Who is he to dictate how you do things? Just do your thing, guys. Who cares what that jerk says? But be ready in case he escalates.

True story, happened to me.

The first auto handgun I had was a ....gasp.....Lorcin .380

It was without question a piece of junk, but I knew pretty much nothing about guns.

I went to the indoor range for some practice, fired maybe 4 rounds and then....

On the fifth round the slide and barrel flew forward off the gun into the range. The firing pin, spring, and retainer thingy flew backwards.

About 3 seconds passed and the gentleman in the stall to my left peeped over at me and said..."was that your ****ing gun!?"

With still big glowing eyes I said yes.

I found a broom and swept all the pieces off the range floor and found all the small parts behind me. Then I got rid of that gun and bought a Dan Wesson .357.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    I get some dirty looks or nods from a few people sometimes since I do practice shooting from esoterical positions (kneeling, sitting, prone, standing, squatting) using my Black Hawk shooting mat. And, I really do not care what they think as long as I am doing my practice in acccordance with the range rules and not endangering others.

I usually don't go to indoor ranges due to knowing people who own plenty of land to shoot on. i do remember a couple of times though that I've had to laugh a bit.

The first was one time I went to a range and these two guys rented the Desert Eagle .50AE. The problem was, they were so scared of it that they were leaning almost all the way back when they shot it. It isn't like that puts you farther away from the gun. LOL They also had cycling problems. It wouldn't ever feed the second round. I'm guessing they were limp wristing the thing too.

The other time was when I didn't tell the other guys who were with me that I brought my father's AMT Automag III .30 carbine pistol. That thing makes one hell of a blast and I got a few interesting looks when I was lighting that thing off.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links