The public range... you just can't make this stuff up... - Page 3

The public range... you just can't make this stuff up...

This is a discussion on The public range... you just can't make this stuff up... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Glad you brought it up. I don't go to indoor ranges anymore since they have more rules and you can't exercise enough creativity in your ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The public range... you just can't make this stuff up...

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Glad you brought it up. I don't go to indoor ranges anymore since they have more rules and you can't exercise enough creativity in your sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    KB = Kaboom
    Thanks, guys!
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Great stories everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    We got free passes for our next visit.

When i was qualifying for my HCP the lady next to me was shooting a .380, she hit my target on the far left side edge of my paper....... she was standing on my right.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    During one of my military M-16 quals, the instructor commented that I must be one heck of a shot. He counted 75 holes in my 60-shot qual. Strangely, the guys on either side of me failed to qualify.
    Air frangible 5.56 -- special military round -- saw the same effect while re-qualifying with some 'WARSKIL' trainees.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Airman View Post
    Stories like this always make me so happy that I own land. I've only been to a public range a few times... and only because I was shooting with my brother in law / some friends and the location worked out to be easiest for all. Luckily I have yet to encounter anybody who was story worthy.
    ^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cuda66
    When we signed out, the guy working the range was laughing...seems this gentleman is a bit of a pain in the keister, they had issues with him before, and he was just an all around unpleasant person...and he swore he'd never go that particular range again.

We got free passes for our next visit.

I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm surprised they allowed an AK on an indoor range to begin with. The only one around here is only 25 yrds (maybe). Hardly AK range.

During one of my military M-16 quals, the instructor commented that I must be one heck of a shot. He counted 75 holes in my 60-shot qual. Strangely, the guys on either side of me failed to qualify. I took my "expert" qual and ran with it! (I did qual as expert every time before and after, but never managed to get more than 60 after that.)
    At our local public range you can shoot everything up to but not including a .50 cal. No AP or steel core allowed. 75 yard indoors with 20 lanes.

I always get creeped out when I am in there. I prefer to shoot outside at my quarry spot where I am alone or with a trusted friend.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Got another one for ya.... this one happened recently...

"Ah... fiddlesticks!"

At the range playing with my Beretta 92 when the CCW class gets to the range portion of their training. They reserve something like 5 stalls for shooters and have 1 range instructor watching the whole bit. The sound of the instructor's voice "load your pistols and commence fire" was followed by clicking, clanking then boom, boom, boom....etc. I finish my range session and decide to watch a bit from the back wall. The first 5 finish and bring in the targets. Next 5 step up and mount targets. Instructor gives the same go ahead but one of the students fired as soon as the mag was loaded... the muzzle was pointed at the ceiling... "CEASE FIRE! CEASE FIRE!" and screaming is all I heard as I exited the range running up the stairs...

You may be wondering why I still go to this range... well being that 2 of the 4 stories involved DS (dumb****) syndrome in the 3 years I have attended the range I believe that isn't so bad.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

ink
    i have never shot at an indoor range and hopefully never have to. stories like some of these (as well as others i have heard from friends that do frequent indoor ranges) make me glad i dont go. i just have a hard time feeling comfortable around that many people shooting that i dont know the background of especially since a lot of the times at rental ranges it just seems they are full of dumb kids renting the biggest thing there just to look cool or whatever

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    i have never shot at an indoor range and hopefully never have to. stories like some of these (as well as others i have heard from friends that do frequent indoor ranges) make me glad i dont go. i just have a hard time feeling comfortable around that many people shooting that i dont know the background of especially since a lot of the times at rental ranges it just seems they are full of dumb kids renting the biggest thing there just to look cool or whatever
    Yes sometimes it is that way. But most times I go is a non event. I practice, pack up, and leave. Sometimes you get the occasional excitement but for the most part it is how the range reacts to the idiot in question that would determine if I would be back to that range.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Two storys, same range...outside.

Was sighting in a Thompson Contender at 100yds. I was the only guy on the range. Went to change targets and was bent over when "BAM" someone fired from the line. Hairs on my back stood up. By the time I walked back to the firing position, he (Whom-ever) had left. Wise man.

Another time, I was shooting next to a fella and heard his gun go "Click" instead of "Bang". I looked over and he pointed the barrel right in my face and asked..."You know anything about these?".

I now shoot at home....never went there again. I understand that they have a range officer now.

Man, stuff like that makes me wanna boil. I have chewed some other fellows out for pointing a gun in my direction and even snatched someone's revolver from his hand when he was dry-firing it in the customers' direction before taking a gun safety class. I will not hesitate to embarrass someone in front of everyone if they neglect gun safety, I tell you that. Idiots like we mentiioned are the reason why so many gun control laws are passed in this country. They add fuel to the fire.

Glad to see that I have encountered morons at indoor ranges then. So far, the outdoor range I go to is carefully monitored and the range has to go cold before you even have to set up targets or police your brass forward off of the firing line. And when it goes cold, we are not to pick up any firearm and its action/slide has to be open with a yellow flag indicator inserted in the chamber.

I did not see this happen but was told about it later.

An old man was in my CCP class. He was having trouble shooting his .380. He had it loaded, hammer back, with the safety off. The RSO told him unload it and put it on the table. The guy could not rack the slide. So with the mag out, one in the pipe, hammer back, and the safety off he places the barrel on his stomach and tries to rack the slide! The RSO reaches around him, grabs the pistol with his thumb between the hammer and the slide. Takes the pistol from him. Unloads it. Then kicks the guy out of the class.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

This is why I so love shooting in my back yard or down the road on forestry land
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links