The public range... you just can't make this stuff up... - Page 4

The public range... you just can't make this stuff up...

This is a discussion on The public range... you just can't make this stuff up... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Zsnake Two storys, same range...outside. Was sighting in a Thompson Contender at 100yds. I was the only guy on the range. Went ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The public range... you just can't make this stuff up...

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    Two storys, same range...outside.

Was sighting in a Thompson Contender at 100yds. I was the only guy on the range. Went to change targets and was bent over when "BAM" someone fired from the line. Hairs on my back stood up. By the time I walked back to the firing position, he (Whom-ever) had left. Wise man.

Another time, I was shooting next to a fella and heard his gun go "Click" instead of "Bang". I looked over and he pointed the barrel right in my face and asked..."You know anything about these?".

I now shoot at home....never went there again. I understand that they have a range officer now.
    Shocked. The level of incompetence is astounding...what did you say to that idiot who pointed the gun in your face?
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Had less of an event today but again still could be bad........ I went to the range with my dad this morning.

During said range session another shooter exited his booth with pistol in hand...the muzzle swept himself, a lady that was with him and 2 other shooters... I didn't know if it was loaded but I was about 2 seconds from tackling him when he pointed it at me!

Can I borrow someone's twaking stick? If I break it I promise I will buy you a new one...

There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Back when I had a PSL, I was a very unpopular guy to shoot beside. The empty casings are ejected out of that thing at warp speed, and will stun someone if they manage to clip them on the temple at close range.

So, to try to be accommodating, I move to the far right of the firing line, which is semi-enclosed. After my third shot, I notice the guy two shooters to my left is cursing every time I fire. Seems the empty casings are ejecting into the wall to my right, hitting the metal roof above me and ricocheting into the guy two shooters over, who has no idea who is raining hot casings onto him.

The other curse of this gun was for clearing it after cease fires. It locked up so tight on a chambered cartridge, that it took a wooden mallet to start the cocking handle back.

Finally just quit shooting it unless there was noone else at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by razor02097 View Post
    During said range session another shooter exited his booth with pistol in hand...the muzzle swept himself, a lady that was with him and 2 other shooters... I didn't know if it was loaded but I was about 2 seconds from tackling him when he pointed it at me!
    This guy sounds like an idiot. I bet he had his finger on the trigger too. But tackling him does not sound like a wise idea. If it was actually loaded, tackling him might cause him to accidentally discharge the gun, or worse, try to use it to defend himself against you!
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Quote Originally Posted by Zsnake View Post
    Went to change targets and was bent over when "BAM" someone fired from the line. Hairs on my back stood up. By the time I walked back to the firing position, he (Whom-ever) had left. Wise man.
    We have a range officer, but he's not everywhere all the time. I recall two season ago when I finished shooting, put my rifle and gear in the truck, and waited for the line to go cold to retrieve my target from 100 yds. I must have taken too long looking at my hits and carrying back the target, for as I walked around the 50 yd stands, someone on the line yelled: "CEASE FIRE, CEASE FIRE!"

Apparently I was out of sight and mind when the shooters agreed to call the line hot. No one had fired, but they were all on the line, rifles in hand, chambering rounds. Blessed that one guy looked up and saw me or ...

So now I wear a blaze orange hunting cap to the rifle range.
    Last edited by FLSquirrelHunter; June 6th, 2010 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Back when I had a PSL, I was a very unpopular guy to shoot beside. The empty casings are ejected out of that thing at warp speed, and will stun someone if they manage to clip them on the temple at close range.
    PSL =...?
    Arkansas Concealed Carry Instructor #12-751

If guns kill people, then:
    Pincels miss spel werds;
    Cars make people drive drunk;
    And spoons made Rosie O'Donnel fat.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffworks View Post
    PSL =...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSL_(rifle)

I know someone who has one of these and have shot it. Fun, but kicks a bit.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.Ē
    Jeff Cooper

It may be sort of like me you see, uh...I mean, like dopes [in Ohio] who buy tacticle and elephant rifles with scopes...that they cannot afford to shoot, or to go where they can shoot them outside at long range. You can no longer do this around here, I fear, since the farms, forests and fields have been paved by asphalt and concrete, and covered and replaced by plats and plazas and malls, y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    I mean, like dopes [in Ohio] who buy tacticle and elephant rifles with scopes
    I agree if itís a double. Scopes on double barrels are not just hideous they usually make the rifle less handy and quick.

Know what's really fun? Taking a Mosin-Nagant M38 or M44 carbine to a range, especially an indoor range with booths. The overpressure sucks the wind out of everyone down the line, it's pretty funny.

All the reasons why I shoot at home!
    It's not the destination, it's the journey.

One year I needed to sight in my .22 High Standard, .38 Special M1911, .45 M1911 and .45 S&W revolver for Camp Perry. I went to a well known local indoor range located near the intersection of I-77 and Rt. 82.

I'm setting up my gun box when I look to my right, and see the guy next to me sweeping me with his Ruger centerfire auto, the action closed. He looks like he's getting ready to leave and I've got a bunch of shooting to do. I ask myself, "Should I say something and keep him there even longer, or just let it go?" I decide to let it go, and he's off the range in a minute or two.

It couldn't have been five minutes later that I look to my left and see three guys wrestling over a loaded Remington 870, yelling at each other in Serbo-Croatian. I packed my stuff and left.

I've never shot on that range again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleipnir View Post
    Know what's really fun? Taking a Mosin-Nagant M38 or M44 carbine to a range, especially an indoor range with booths. The overpressure sucks the wind out of everyone down the line, it's pretty funny.
    Yep I shoot my m44 whenever i get the chance. The highball silverbear gives off quite a fireball. Kinda funny the reation of bystanders when the the line goes "bang, bang, pop, KERBOOOOM"

^interesting. Had some serbia-croatia guys almost kill me at an outdoor range. Was out changing a target at cease fire when i heard a round go off and saw it hit the ground about 4 feet to my right. Hit the deck and saw the serbian dudestill fiddling with the handgun that just ND'ed in my direction. Wow the whole range went ballistic on these guys. Sirens/lights/yelling.

These guys are now banned as they broke about 6 rules i can think of. Even putting down your muffs on your bench after cease fire will get you a lecture(rightly so)

Originally i was thought to have been shot because i went down so fast! (I'm 6'2" about 300lb but my butt can move if need be!)

Not trying to sterotype anyone, but i'm alittle leary of anyone that can't speak english at my range now.

Keep your eyes open at the range people!!!! If someone is doing something unsafe, let them know!!! Or let the rangemaster know!

And stay behind the red line at ceasefire!!!!!!!!!

-mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    ^interesting. Had some serbia-croatia guys almost kill me at an outdoor range. Was out changing a target at cease fire when i heard a round go off and saw it hit the ground about 4 feet to my right. Hit the deck and saw the serbian dudestill fiddling with the handgun that just ND'ed in my direction.
    Around '83 or '84 a fellow officer and I were on the Ft. Knox public range.

We called a ceasefire to change targets and started downrange.

While changing targets, we started hearing bullets break the sound barrier as they passed us. We immediately yelled for a ceasefire and ran back to the firing line. We discovered a couple of townies had been shooting while we were downrange, AFTER we called the ceasefire.

We angrily demanded of Larry and Daryl (Daryl was absent) what the $$$$ they thought they were doing shooting with people downrange.

They replied, "We wasn't shootin' atcha, we was shootin' PASTYA!"

That left us momentarily speechless. When I recovered my composure I replied, "Do it again, and we'll shoot THROUGH you." We then locked up our gear and headed for range control. They were gone by the time we got back.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    They replied, "We wasn't shootin' atcha, we was shootin' PASTYA!"

That left us momentarily speechless. When I recovered my composure I replied, "Do it again, and we'll shoot THROUGH you."
    There's a lot to be said for a good communicator.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links