How to deal with non-believers (rant)

This is a discussion on How to deal with non-believers (rant) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know people that when you bring up guns for the purpose of defense they look at you side ways. Like to day for example ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with non-believers (rant)

How to deal with non-believers (rant)

I know people that when you bring up guns for the purpose of defense they look at you side ways. Like to day for example I was talking about guns and a woman said "I think our best defense is the police" So you are saying, some tries to kill you no don't give me gun let the police do it. So all of a sudden (LEOS I still love and appreciate you) when I have a shinny piece of metal on my chest THEN it is OK to use a gun. GET IT THROUGH YOUR SKULL! LEOS ARE REGULAR PEOPLE THEY DON'T HAVE SPECIAL DNA THEY ARE REGULAR PEOPLE.
    thank you - josh
    Last edited by SIXTO; May 22nd, 2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: I had to fix all the spelling errors; it must be the special DNA

2. Remove Ads

When seconds count... The police are minutes away.

I hope that woman survives the wait. That is, if she even has the opportunity to call for help in the first place.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

It's a sad fact the most LEO's do not live with all the people who are in need of help. It does take them awhile to get the word and respond, it's not their fault, it's just the way it works!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

IF someone is trying to kill you:
    IT takes a couple seconds to call 911, then it takes them at least 60 - 90 seconds to get some info and get in touch with a LEO in that area then it takes driving time from the leos location to the callers location (might be 60 seconds might be 10 mins)... THIS is the equation that the antis do not want to listen to until they are stuck that situation. All of the above is quite hard to do when youre dead... On the other hand someone tries to kill you and you are armed: Identify the threat (person trying to kill you), draw handgun, aim, fire. Threat has been neutralized and you ahve SURVIVED. NOW call 911 and report a self defense shooting in which you defended yourself etc etc..
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    When seconds count... The police are minutes away.

I hope that woman survives the wait. That is, if she even has the opportunity to call for help in the first place.
    Yep. Why is it they don't get that ?

Gun pointed in their face by BG.... "could you hold on a minute please, I need to call 911".

Ask them to imagine they have heard someone breaking in, and start a stopwatch. Have them talk to the operator, dispatch the police, and keep the clock going until you get 5+ minutes in. Long time, eh?

Try this one.
    YouTube - 911 Caller Without Gun in Home Invasion

Woman hears someone breaking in and calls 911. 3:30 she's being attacked, 4:45 after the call starts the first cops arrive.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

I just tell them guns aren't necessarily for everyone. We each have to make the personal safety plans that are the best for us. I'm not trying to save souls or convert the masses. If a gun isn't right for them, then they are probably better off without one. I could care less who else wants a gun or has one, I'm only responsible for the safety of me and my family. They're on their own. If it isn't right for them, they can choose not to have one and I'm not going to try to push my view on them...but they shouldn't try to push their perspective on those who take appropriate steps of training and responsibility for which guns are a part of their plan.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I think that woman has been watching too many home security commercials.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I think that woman has been watching too many home security commercials.
    So true! What a tool...

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I guess no one explained to her that the police have no requirement to protect her (as an individual), their only requirement according to the SC is to protect society as a whole (though I don't agree with that) she hasn't had that explained to her yet.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

Smile and agree to disagree. Then if you donít want to run the risk of having more people annoyed you avoid the subject and donít bring it up.

VIP Member
    I live pretty rural. A 911 response time for me could swing from immediate (lucky- nearby patrol deputy), or 40 minutes (bad luck, everyone elsewhere).

In actuality, I'd say more realistically 20-25 minutes.

A LOT can happen here in 20 minutes. I like 911 response, and know many of the responders, I'd be happy for them to come here. BUT, I'm responsible for buying myself some time, and hiding under the bed isn't necessarily a good option for me.

So for the naysayers, what happens to you during the wait?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinNEPA View Post
    LEO in that area then it takes driving time from the leos location to the callers location (might be 60 seconds might be 10 mins)...
    I remember reading a response from out west that at night with one officer on duty the response time from one side of the county to the other was 45 minutes at 100mph. Definitely more then a few seconds.
    Eric

EM1(SS) Retired

For freedom is never free someone else just picks up tab.

Kimber Custom II
    Kimber Eclips Pro II
    Marlin Camp Rifle .45acp

A 9mm may expand but a .45acp won't shrink

Remember there are only two types of Ships in the Navy, SUBMARINES and Targets!

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I just tell them guns aren't necessarily for everyone. We each have to make the personal safety plans that are the best for us. I'm not trying to save souls or convert the masses. If a gun isn't right for them, then they are probably better off without one. I could care less who else wants a gun or has one, I'm only responsible for the safety of me and my family. They're on their own. If it isn't right for them, they can choose not to have one and I'm not going to try to push my view on them...but they shouldn't try to push their perspective on those who take appropriate steps of training and responsibility for which guns are a part of their plan.
    I could not have said it better myself.

They're on their own!
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.Ē -- Cicero

Let me get this. Call a person with a gun to protect you from a person with a gun? Why not have a gun yourself and cut out the wait time? I am in no way making a bad comment about the great LEOs out there. We have to understand sometimes they are not right around the corner and have to deal with the threat ourselves.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links