Purchase out-of-state while on vacation?

This is a discussion on Purchase out-of-state while on vacation? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; JD: ...it has to be shipped to a FFL in your state, you can play with it in the store where you're buying it (except ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purchase out-of-state while on vacation?

JD: ...it has to be shipped to a FFL in your state, you can play with it in the store where you're buying it (except for CT and maybe others, they can be funny there, something about you have to have a CT purchase permit or carry permit to even handle a handgun)
    Yea, here in Jersey, it's against the law to even handle a handgun in a retail shop without a "State of NJ Firearms Purchaser ID Card."
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Paymeister, if you are talking about our neighbors just to the South (i.e., NC) you might want to do some State specfic checking.

I know that at one time you need a "permit to buy" unless you had a a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit.

See:

Article 52A.

Sale of Weapons in Certain Counties.

14‑402. Sale of certain weapons without permit forbidden.

(a) It is unlawful for any person, firm, or corporation in this State to sell, give away, or transfer, or to purchase or receive, at any place within this State from any other place within or without the State any pistol or crossbow unless: (i) a license or permit is first obtained under this Article by the purchaser or receiver from the sheriff of the county in which the purchaser or receiver resides; or (ii) a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit is held under Article 54B of this Chapter by the purchaser or receiver who must be a resident of the State at the time of the purchase.
    14‑403. Permit issued by sheriff; form of permit; expiration of permit.

The sheriffs of any and all counties of this State shall issue to any person, firm, or corporation in any county a license or permit to purchase or receive any weapon mentioned in this Article from any person, firm, or corporation offering to sell or dispose of the weapon. The license or permit shall expire five years from the date of issuance. The license or permit shall be in the following form:

North Carolina,

______________ County.

I, ______________, Sheriff of said County, do hereby certify that I have conducted a criminal background check of the applicant, ______________ whose place of residence is ______________ in ______________ (or) in ______________ Township, ______________ County, North Carolina, and have received no information to indicate that it would be a violation of State or federal law for the applicant to purchase, transfer, receive, or possess a handgun. The applicant has further satisfied me as to his, her (or) their good moral character. Therefore, a license or permit is issued to ______________ to purchase one pistol from any person, firm or corporation authorized to dispose of the same.

This license or permit expires five years from its date of issuance.

This ____ day of ____________, ________.

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    Yea, here in Jersey, it's against the law to even handle a handgun in a retail shop without a "State of NJ Firearms Purchaser ID Card."
    What about gunshows in such States? Where the hell do politicians come up with this ridiculous crap?

VIP Member
    I carry a copy of My local FFL's License. That way if I see a pistol/revolver I want, they can ship it with out me trying to get him on the phone to get a copy faxed over.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Can I visit another state and buy a handgun and transport it back to my home state?

Or can I buy and play with it and have them ship to a home-state FFL...

Or do I just spend my money, have them ship it, and whimper until I get home?
    No, in most states you have to buy it but then SHIP it to your FFL back in your home state.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links