Purchase out-of-state while on vacation?

This is a discussion on Purchase out-of-state while on vacation? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Can I visit another state and buy a handgun and transport it back to my home state? Or can I buy and play with it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Can I visit another state and buy a handgun and transport it back to my home state?

Or can I buy and play with it and have them ship to a home-state FFL...

Or do I just spend my money, have them ship it, and whimper until I get home?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

JD
    Administrator
    it has to be shipped to a FFL in your state, you can play with it in the store where you're buying it (except for CT and maybe others, they can be funny there, something about you have to have a CT purchase permit or carry permit to even handle a handgun)

VIP Member
    Unless you are an FFL dealer you cannot purchase out of state and take possession. What I do is carry a business card from my local dealer; if I find something I want to buy I have the dealer call my home dealer, set up transfer then complete the sale. Have done this several times with no hassle and all is legal.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Wow, so if for instance I was visiting Idaho, I couldn't just buy a handgun or rifle and take it with me? Huh? What if I have a concealed weapons permit? This doesn't make sense!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Wow, so if for instance I was visiting Idaho, I couldn't just buy a handgun or rifle and take it with me? Huh? What if I have a concealed weapons permit? This doesn't make sense!
    Concealed carry permits have nothing to do with it. Long gun sales are different and may be allowed, it depends on multiple criteria being met.

So no, if you're visiting Idaho, you can not take legal possession of a purchased handgun. As for it making sense, it's Federal law it doesn't have to make sense.

JD - you've helped me before with your good perspectives on things. You may have just now helped a friend stay 'clean' on a Federal law. Thanks!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    JD - you've helped me before with your good perspectives on things. You may have just now helped a friend stay 'clean' on a Federal law. Thanks!
    You're welcome, for more info you can read here: NRA-ILA :: the NRA-ILA sight is not always up to date, but I'm pretty sure this is still correct.

ETA: I've also bought handguns in states that I was not a resident thereof and never had an issue, like Msgt said, just keep an FFL in mind and set things up before the sale is final etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    ... just keep an FFL in mind and set things up before the sale is final etc.
    Actually asking for a guest; looks like we'll be shopping but not buying, and the purchase can be made at home or over the net. We're looking at new weapons, so availability is likely to be the same here and there.

Thanks, all!

VIP Member
    I once went to buy a handgun in FL - my home state. Because I had been out of the country for about three years, my "permanent" residence had changed with my family, but I hadn't updated my driver's license yet as I had just returned to CONUS. When I filled out the background check info, the salesman noted that the address I put down was different from the address on my DL, and wouldn't sell to me. Keep in mind that I am a Federal LEO, have an absolutely clean background (cough, cough), and that I have bought from this store before! So, yes, any reputable FFL will most definitely verify that you are a resident of the state in which you are attempting to purchase a handgun...

There is an exception if you are Active Duty military and can show orders assigning you to the state in which you are attempting to purchase, but I don't think this applies to you, Paymeister! :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Unless you are an FFL dealer you cannot purchase out of state and take possession. What I do is carry a business card from my local dealer; if I find something I want to buy I have the dealer call my home dealer, set up transfer then complete the sale. Have done this several times with no hassle and all is legal.
    You are absolutely correct.
    A person not licensed under the CGA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a fire arm from an out-of-state source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

In other words, you could go to Florida, find a gun you like, pay for it in Florida (including State sales tax) and have the dealer transfer the firearm to your home state. You take possession of the firearm from a local dealer FFL after completing ATF Form 4473, a successful NICS background check or acceptable equivalent and any mandatory state waiting period. You could also purchase the firearm over the Internet and save paying state sales tax.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Actually asking for a guest; looks like we'll be shopping but not buying, and the purchase can be made at home or over the net. We're looking at new weapons, so availability is likely to be the same here and there.

Thanks, all!
    Yes, what you are describing is completely legal and acceptable. When you do get to the point where you will take possession of the firearm in your home state. you cannot fill out ATF Form 4473 for your friend. That would be known as a Straw Purchase and is illegal.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Concealed carry permits have nothing to do with it. Long gun sales are different and may be allowed, it depends on multiple criteria being met.

So no, if you're visiting Idaho, you can not take legal possession of a purchased handgun. As for it making sense, it's Federal law it doesn't have to make sense.
    Hmm, I never knew. Thanks for the proper info! I guess it makes some sense tho.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

[Further twists and turns for a kid in college started as a new thread]

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    Just tried that in Idaho myself, I live in Nevada. I was unaware of the federal law until I made the deal with the store owner to trade my Taurus PT92 for a Glock 30 and showed my ID showing I was from Nevada. It was OK for him to buy my Taurus but I could not buy the Glock. That really didn't make sense to me. I went back to Nevada and found a local dealer who worked out a good deal for me.

With some states, they have stipulations to where you can buy long guns across state lines of a few contiguous states. Florida has this provision, but I've never tried it out. Handguns still have to be always be transferred via FFLs if between state lines.

As others have said, you can pay for it there, but they would have to do a transfer to a FFL local to your home town.

Yea, it's silly, but so is pretty much every gun law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links