Why is .25 acp not popular?

This is a discussion on Why is .25 acp not popular? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello everyone, I was recently given a gift by my brother. He gave me an old .25 acp Beretta Tomcat for no particular reason. I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is .25 acp not popular?

Hello everyone, I was recently given a gift by my brother. He gave me an old .25 acp Beretta Tomcat for no particular reason. I have gone out to shoot the little bugger and I have to say it was very enjoyable. Not to get off the subject here but in my gun collection, I have a rule of pairs. By this I mean I have two pistols of each brand and caliber. Ex. 2 sigs- 9mm/p239 & .22lr/Mosquito, 2 Rugers-.380 acp/LCP & .22lr/Mark III 22/45, etc. I was in the market to buying another .25 acp and I was having a difficult time finding one. It seems that many retail stores as well as local gun shops do not have this caliber of pistols readily available. Why is this caliber unpopular? Just wondering....please let me know.
    Remember as a rule of thumb in defensive carry...your intention is always to STOP....not to hurt, however; in a gun fight, its either me or them.....and Im sure as hell that it will NOT be me.
    -joey rh

VIP Member
    It's a fun round to shoot, BUT................

It's a wussy round with no stopping power and the cost of the ammo is prohibitive compared to "real" calibers.

I do have a few pistols chambered in .25, but they're just too expensive to feed.

And here's an interesting quote from Jeff Cooper................

“As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a .25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you.”
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

VIP Member
    In the first half of the 20th century it was very popular. Look at all the 'vest pocket' guns that were sold & the majority were in .25. Browning & Colt made them by the thousands & other makers made a bunch as well. They are what every 'well dressed' man or woman carried. I bet that women carried more in their purses than men did in their vest pockets.

The .25 is what was used by a lot of people when open carry began to be frowned on & before concealed carry was banned by many states.
    Last edited by goawayfarm; May 23rd, 2010 at 11:57 AM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Neat little fun gun.
    Hornady Custom 25 ACP is probably about the best available ammo in that caliber these days at 900fps.

I do have a .25 apc Titan and occasionally shoot and or carry it, however, the round is a bit anemic. Not that I would want to be hit by one, but there have been too many stories of getting shot with the .25 and it does little to stop the threat. It is just not powerful enough to use as a self-defense caliber in most cases.

Yet, it may be better than nothing or higher than some type of defensive pepper sprays.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...on-25-acp.html

Here's an old tired retread post I once made here about the .25 ACP. I've shot off a lot of .25 ACP over the years for fun and frolic. I infrequently carried it in times past. I currently have three .25 ACP handguns in the menagerie.

The .25 ACP doesn't really deserve to be popular. It is expensive to purchase as factory loaded ammunition. It is not enough more powerful than similar .22 Long Rifle chambered pistols to warrant the cost (it is marginally more powerful than similar tee-tiny .22 LR pistols despite what many think). The pistols chambered for it are not easy to shoot with any great accuracy. Within the past 15 years or so pistol designs chambering more effective ammunition have been shrunken to be close to the diminutive size of the average .25.

Above all, it is truly a weenie...really.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

My understanding is that it is no more effective than .22LR, much more expensive to feed, and a lot (surely not all though) of the guns chambered in it are finicky. Your ammo options are kind of limited too with that caliber. If I could carry that would be far from my first choice, but hey, if you're just taking it out to play with at the range from time to time, what's the harm?

VIP Member
    As stated, because it way over priced and WAY under performing...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyrh9 View Post
    Why is this caliber unpopular?
    Because we have 22lr.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If you really want another .25 (and I own a Beretta 950 and one is enough) Taurus makes a decent one for $225 that Gander Mountain carries. I carry mine at times as a BUG for my Glock 23 but that just may be to have something in my front pants pocket.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Because a .25 is the equivilent of shooting a black bear with a pellet rifle. (This was told to me by a shooting instructor) In all honesty it is far below what most would consider a SD caliber.
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    It's a wussy round with no stopping power and the cost of the ammo is prohibitive compared to "real" calibers.
    .380 ACP is much the same size but has more than triple the "power" (in ft-lbs) out of the muzzle. And yet, that's half of what a 9mm Luger can muster.

We need to resurrect the 7.62x25mm Tokarev. JHP with 500 ft-lbs and speeds far in excess of 9mm, bottlenecked case. *Sigh*
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    My Beretta 950BS Jetfire is a sweet little pistol. I carry it pretty regularly and it shoots real nice. I see how it tears up the target backing and I think it would be just fine as a defensive pistol. It is very reliable and always goes bang.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It, like the .22 rimfire, lacks any effective power. Unless a lucky shot happens to hit brain, spinal cord or some other incapacitating place, death from either is most likely from bleeding out, which can take time that may not exist in a SD situation.

That can be the case with any caliber, of course, and it's better than nothing--but not much.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Exclamation .25 Auto !

Be careful,you could put somebodies eye out with one of those .25's.
    U.S. Army Veteran

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links