I've gone plinking mad!

I've gone plinking mad!

This is a discussion on I've gone plinking mad! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After a recent AR build and a AK74 purchase, I needed this like a hole in the head but I just wanted it and it ...

Distinguished Member Array pirate's Avatar

I've gone plinking mad!

After a recent AR build and a AK74 purchase, I needed this like a hole in the head but I just wanted it and it jump on me at the LGS today. I love a good plinker and this should really fit that bill.

Last edited by pirate; May 23rd, 2010 at 10:40 AM.
    When I leave the home port:
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Nice rifle. I must be getting old because a Marlin model 60 was hi-tech in my day. I do enjoy seeing these new .22's. Thanks for sharing, john.

I love the 522. Lots of fun. You'll love it!

That thing is cool looking. I can definitely see why it was calling to you. Enjoy!

Beautiful gun...but as a 22LR, is it a 'jam-o-matic'?
    All of my experiences with 22cal pistols and long guns have been terrible.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

THAT is a sweet-looking gun. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brass63 View Post
    Beautiful gun...but as a 22LR, is it a 'jam-o-matic'?
    All of my experiences with 22cal pistols and long guns have been terrible.
    No way to say that if you have no experience with this rifle. I have been shooting .22 caliber firearms for 35+ years and I also own or have owned, 2 Ruger 10/22's, a Marlin Model 60, a Browning Buckmark, Henry Golden Boy lever action, a Heritage Arms Rough Rider revolver and a S&W 2214, and while .22LR as a rimfire round is a bit more prone to feeding and ejection issues as opposed to centerfire ammo guns, my personal experiences have been very positive with .22 caliber guns in general and most importantly the fun factor very high over these many years. I own a lot of firearms that serve several different purposes, including CCW, HD, hunting, target shooting and compitition and in this case fun plinking, and thats what its is all about when it come to .22's.
    S&W 642 Airweight, Ruger SP 101, Colt Detective Spec., CZ RAMI, Kahr PM9, Kahr CW40, S&W Model 10-7, Glock 30, 19, and 26, Browning Hi Power, CZ82, Colt Commander, Dan Wesson PM7, Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Pirate,

I like the looks of that 522 myself. For $400ish it looks like a great rifle. Does it take BDM mags or proprietary Sig mags? I just called ATI on Friday and asked when the 1911-22 will be shipping and was told 2 weeks. I too have a soft spot in my heart for the .22LR. Here's a photo of my latest aurchase from a few weeks ago.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I dropped a CMMG 22LR conversion into my Bushmaster AR last week and went to the range. What a ball! 22 makes for great plinking fun and more ranges are open to me now. It tok a few hours to get the grin off my face.

That Sig is a beaut, so is the Walther. Uh Oh, tell the wife to lock up the credit cards I feel an urge coming on...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I dropped a CMMG 22LR conversion into my Bushmaster AR last week and went to the range. What a ball! 22 makes for great plinking fun and more ranges are open to me now. It tok a few hours to get the grin off my face.

That Sig is a beaut, so is the Walther. Uh Oh, tell the wife to lock up the credit cards I feel an urge coming on...
    I have the same CMMG conversion that I use with a DPMS AR I own. Works like a charm and is suprisingly accurate for plinking and ranger work. So why would I buy the SIG 522......I just wanted it!

The mags that comes with the 522 is a Black Dog mag with SIG markings. The Black Dogs I have for my CMMG conversion work perfectly in the SIG. I had 5 of them so thats another plus.

I also handled (fondled is more like it) the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 .22 rifle and its a little dandy too. Very light and well made and for those who may want a dedicated AR platform to practice in .22 its perfect. I likely will get one within the year......somebody please stop me cause I can't!!!

I decided to install my Primary Arms red dot (Aimpoint Micro clone) on the SIG along with a Magpul AFG and it works really well with the tapered forestock on the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    I have the same CMMG conversion that I use with a DPMS AR I own. Works like a charm and is suprisingly accurate for plinking and ranger work. So why would I buy the SIG 522......I just wanted it!

The mags that comes with the 522 is a Black Dog mag with SIG markings. The Black Dogs I have for my CMMG conversion work perfectly in the SIG. I had 5 of them so thats another plus.

I also handled (fondled is more like it) the Smith & Wesson M&P 15 .22 rifle and its a little dandy too. Very light and well made and for those who may want a dedicated AR platform to practice in .22 its perfect. I likely will get one within the year......somebody please stop me cause I can't!!!

I decided to install my Primary Arms red dot (Aimpoint Micro clone) on the SIG along with a Magpul AFG and it works really well with the tapered forestock on the rifle.
    Pirate, does the Magpul AFG fit cleanly on the forend or is there some shimming involved or play since it is not a rail or a Magpul MOE?

Quote Originally Posted by Siafu View Post
    Pirate, does the Magpul AFG fit cleanly on the forend or is there some shimming involved or play since it is not a rail or a Magpul MOE?
    I used a 5" Magpul rail made for the MOE, because I can not find any of the SIG rails specifically made for the 556 and 522. Even the SIG site is out of them. As it is installed now its very solid and required nothing but removing the two forend sections and installing the rail. The rail made by SIG is canted to compensate for the angle of the OEM stock so vertical grips will be straight when installed. With the AFG because its angled anyway it works well installed as is. I do plan on getting the SIG rails when I can find them. The SIG rails even have little groves on the bottom to match the ridges molded into the plastic forend.

FYI.....I ran 150 rounds of American Eagle .22 through this rifle today and it ran perfectly with no issues at all. The indoor range was packed today and the only place I could shoot was the 100 range and they have a 50 yard minimun limit when shooting here but with the Primary Arms red dot I was on paper from bore sighting at home and it only took me around 7-9 rounds to get the rifle sighted in a 50 yards. I have to say this rifle is just plain fun to shoot and easy to shoot well. I had no problem with the red dot sight keeping every thing inside the black (8") circle shooting standing off hand at 50 yards and from the rest I was getting around 2" groups with the no magnification red dot. The rifle came with one 25 round SIG marked magizine which is made by Black Dog, and because I already own an .22 AR CMMG conversion which uses the same mags I have 4 other 25 round Blackdogs and all ran perfectly. I must say its well worth the $400 I paid for it. Its accurate , handles great during fast shooting and from the rest, and is really a very simple well thoughtout design and very easy to clean which is nice too.
    Last edited by pirate; May 24th, 2010 at 07:32 AM.

very nice!
    No matter what anyone says you can never own enough guns!!!
    Glock 26
    Ruger LCP

I remember when the Ruger .22, with the ten-bullet box clip, was revolutionary...and we could still shoot down by the Stillwater River or out in the country, around here, before the plats, plazas and paving covered it up.

Links