Face to face sales and trades...

This is a discussion on Face to face sales and trades... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What is the best and safest method for conducting a FTF sale or trade involving firearms? I'm sure 99% of the folks on here are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the best and safest method for conducting a FTF sale or trade involving firearms? I'm sure 99% of the folks on here are good honest people, but you never know when a bad apple might sneak in and try to pull a shady deal, or a full-fledged ripoff or worse.

With that in mind, how does one protect oneself, other than CC'ing and staying alert with heightened SA? I have a few ideas in mind, but feel free to chime in with others or critique mine.

1. Bring a friend, either with you or observing from a distance. (Not always practical or available)
    2. Meet in a public place (Might have a problem flashing guns around in public)
    3. Check in with someone via cell phone before and after the transaction
    4. Make the sale/trade at a gun shop (assuming the owner would allow that, IDK)
    Any other ideas?

I would imagine that any FFL would allow you to use their place of business if you are using them to do the transfer.

FTF sales in Florida don't require an FFL or any paperwork.

Then that is a risk you take. A risk the weapon is stolen or has been used in a crime. A risk that you are going to get robbed. Personally I only do FTF with people I know.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Then that is a risk you take. A risk the weapon is stolen or has been used in a crime. A risk that you are going to get robbed. Personally I only do FTF with people I know.
    Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sir View Post
    What is the best and safest method for conducting a FTF sale or trade involving firearms? I'm sure 99% of the folks on here are good honest people, but you never know when a bad apple might sneak in and try to pull a shady deal, or a full-fledged ripoff or worse.

With that in mind, how does one protect oneself, other than CC'ing and staying alert with heightened SA? I have a few ideas in mind, but feel free to chime in with others or critique mine.

1. Bring a friend, either with you or observing from a distance. (Not always practical or available)
    2. Meet in a public place (Might have a problem flashing guns around in public)
    3. Check in with someone via cell phone before and after the transaction
    4. Make the sale/trade at a gun shop (assuming the owner would allow that, IDK)
    Any other ideas?
    Regarding #3, my wife used to sell handbags FTF in parking lots to customers from online and I would have her call me and leave her phone connected to mine while doing the transaction, and I could usually hear decently of what was going on. Most cell providers have free mobile-mobile so minutes shouldn't be an issue.

Regarding #2, I wouldn't go private either though. Last thing you want is a cop seeing you selling a gun in an alleyway. I highly doubt it will attract positive attention.

#4 and #1 sound like the best options.

I called the gun shop that I frequent and was told they will not allow that in their store, nor would any other gun shop that they know of. Something about liability and legality. So #4 is out. They also cautioned me about "brandishing" a gun in a public place. Duh!

I always frequent my gun range to make transactions. Last firearm I transacted I met the gentleman in the range. We both shared a booth and fired the weapon. He packed up the gun and walked out a new and happy firearm owner, I walked out with one less gun and a bunch more $$$ in my pocket. I've also just met in the gun range parking lot make the transaction just because it's a little less conspicuous to see guns being handled in the parking lot of a range.
    guns rule

If I were to sell a gun FTF I would ask for a copy of the persons purchase or carry permit, license to verify identity, and write a bill of sale. Then I would keep this forever.
    If I gave a crap about what you think about my guns.....it was early this morning and I already flushed it!

I sold a weapon to a guy (unknown to me) who contacted me on this forum. He had been around for a while, so I knew OF him. We had talked on the phone several times, and met half way from each other in a parking lot with lots of people around.

We exchanged driver's license and CCW permits (pre-copied), with a bill of sale. I felt pretty good about the situation...of course we were both armed.

When I see the CCW permit, I feel much better about the buyer's background...I would not sell to someone without one.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I take one of my law enforcement friends with me or have the seller/buyer meet me in the Police Department parking lot, to do the exchange.
    Kimber Custom TLE II, GLOCK 30SF, GLOCK 19C, Walther PK380
    Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro (Greyhound) Holster
    Mega Arms Billet AR-15's
    NRA Member

When I've done a FTF purchase, I:
    1. Meet in a public location if possible.
    2. Take someone with me, or if travelling alone, call someone before and after the transaction.
    3. Leave a copy of all pertinent information (usually an e-mail, with the name, phone number, car description, firearm info, meeting info, etc.) on the dining room table.
    4. Of course, I'm always armed.

As far as bill of sale, I'm more than willing to show my DL and CHP, but hesitant to provide a physical copy, having dealt with identity theft in the past (not that I suspect the seller's intent, but someone could steal my ID copies from him, you know?). I'm happy to complete a bill of sale, though.

If anything feels hinky, I either don't buy, or insist on a transfer at a local FFL (at my expense).

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Sir View Post
    What is the best and safest method for conducting a FTF sale or trade involving firearms?
    Safest doesn't necessarily equate with practical or necessary.

Safest, of course, is to make an exchange at an FFL shop, where there are plenty of witnesses, likely video recording, etc. Of course, that puts it on record, involves all the FFL/govt paperwork that effectively "registers" that gun to you.

I've done a few FTF transfers without FFL. They have been done at my private (club) range, on a day when many people were there for various shooting competitions. We completed two copies of a bill of sale, to keep for personal records. The money was exchanged with a cashier's check. The exchange was done on a day when the bank was open, if it turned out problems arose (though, at that point, stopping the check would likely be the least of my problems). I documented where I'd be going, prior to my going, already knowing in advance the person's name and phone number and having spoken on the phone a couple times. If purchasing a gun, I would already have checked the viability of the serial number via the state police service for this. Beyond these steps and bringing a friend, there isn't much else you can do. If you're going to be attacked, you'll be attacked. Be circumspect and prepared to defend. Precautions such as being armed and doing the transaction in an active, public place should generally be enough.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    When I've done a FTF purchase, I:
    1. Meet in a public location if possible.
    2. Take someone with me, or if travelling alone, call someone before and after the transaction.
    3. Leave a copy of all pertinent information (usually an e-mail, with the name, phone number, car description, firearm info, meeting info, etc.) on the dining room table.
    4. Of course, I'm always armed.

As far as bill of sale, I'm more than willing to show my DL and CHP, but hesitant to provide a physical copy, having dealt with identity theft in the past (not that I suspect the seller's intent, but someone could steal my ID copies from him, you know?). I'm happy to complete a bill of sale, though.

If anything feels hinky, I either don't buy, or insist on a transfer at a local FFL (at my expense).
    That's pretty much the way I had decided to do it. I'll be making an even trade this morning (my XD9 for his G19) and then I'll be purchasing a Colt 45 1911 SS at high noon. I'm leaving a detailed itinerary with my secretary and I'll call her before and after each transaction.
    If I don't post here later today, you'll know things went south.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    meet at the shooting range you frequent. Your buddies are all there (and armed) and you can test the "equipment"!!!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links